Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Visitors? Young children in Aus

Health Visitors? Young children in Aus

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:12 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Health Visitors? Young children in Aus

I'm just considering accepting a job over in sydney, its basically a contracting job on a 457 visa but the company are willing to help me get PR and move me over to a permenant position as soon as that comes through!!

I have an 18month old daughter and was wondering about health visitors ..

Over here in the UK we have our local health centre where my wife can pop in and have a chat to a health visitor if she has any concerns about our daughter .. this is not only 'health' related concerns but anything from potty training to temper tantrums

is there an equivalent service in Aus ...

Also any mothers out there want to share thier experiences, just wondering about mother and baby groups and how easy it would be for my wife to meet other mothers and build the support group you need when bringing up children

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Visitors? Young children in Aus

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I'm just considering accepting a job over in sydney, its basically a contracting job on a 457 visa but the company are willing to help me get PR and move me over to a permenant position as soon as that comes through!!

Over here in the UK we have our local health centre where my wife can pop in and have a chat to a health visitor if she has any concerns about our daughter .. this is not only 'health' related concerns but anything from potty training to temper tantrums

Also any mothers out there want to share thier experiences, just wondering about mother and baby groups and how easy it would be for my wife to meet other mothers and build the support group you need when bringing up children

Thanks in advance
In my experience it is exactly the same. However, as you are new to the country you have to be more proactive in getting involved. Make you way to your nearest Child Health Centre.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:31 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
In my experience it is exactly the same. However, as you are new to the country you have to be more proactive in getting involved. Make you way to your nearest Child Health Centre.
Thats a relief!!

I actually think having a child makes it a little easier, my wife has always been a little shy and not that keen to make new friends etc but since the birth of our daughter she has found it very easy to talk to other mothers and often makes new friends as she seems to have a common bond!!

I've also been told its useful to join your local 'RSL' club?? to meet people in your community? is this a useful exercise?

thanks for your prompt reply
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite on topic, but:

- are you sure you're eligible for PR (there are specific rules for ENS, also for general skilled migration)
- are you sure you're employer is eligible to sponsor?
- is your employer *willing* to sponsor? (many employers are not)
- are you aware of all the risks, costs and other issues with the 457 visa in the meantime?

Jeremy
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:39 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not quite on topic, but:

- are you sure you're eligible for PR (there are specific rules for ENS, also for general skilled migration)
- are you sure you're employer is eligible to sponsor?
- is your employer *willing* to sponsor? (many employers are not)
- are you aware of all the risks, costs and other issues with the 457 visa in the meantime?

Jeremy
- I'd have yet to check the rules for ENS but the company i'm talking to have already brought a couple of people in from other places (its a IT role and a very niche market) .. could you point out the ENS requirements?

- The company want me to go permentant but only when i have PR .. the recruitment agency are sponsoring my 457 and then the company are applying for my PR as soon as possible (i believe this is how it is going to be done!)

- I've read your sticky about the 457 restrictions .. i'm going to get PR as quickly as possible (we have money to put towards a mortgage etc so the sooner we get pr the better)
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

- I'd have yet to check the rules for ENS but the company i'm talking to have already brought a couple of people in from other places (its a IT role and a very niche market) .. could you point out the ENS requirements?

- The company want me to go permentant but only when i have PR .. the recruitment agency are sponsoring my 457 and then the company are applying for my PR as soon as possible (i believe this is how it is going to be done!)
Download and read migration booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

It's not at all clear you'll qualify for ENS, based on what you post. I'd strongly recommend some professional advice from a migration agent familiar with ENS (not all are).

Jeremy
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:53 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by JAJ
Download and read migration booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

It's not at all clear you'll qualify for ENS, based on what you post. I'd strongly recommend some professional advice from a migration agent familiar with ENS (not all are).

Jeremy
I'll do that now ...

Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 1:02 pm
birmingham to brisbane

I'll do that now ...

Cheers
Jeremy

you have me worried now

quickly scanning it, i think i should be okay, i've spoken to an immigration agent in the past and they said i would have been okay to do skilled migration if i wasn't 35 (as long as i past the required tests) ... i notice with ENS that the age limit is 45 .. so i have my fingers crossed ..

Before accepting the position i will ensure that i have a commitment off the company that they will sponsor me, i need commitment off them, as by selling my house, packing my bags and coming over there with my ypoung family is me showing a commitment to them !!

Last edited by cam_uk; Sep 22nd 2005 at 1:08 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:42 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance
You are unusual in this - most mums I know in the UK haven't got a good word to say about HVs. I *fired* ours when our dd was about five months old! She was utterly useless!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:45 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

You are unusual in this - most mums I know in the UK haven't got a good word to say about HVs. I *fired* ours when our dd was about five months old! She was utterly useless!

We think ours are good but then we probably don't know any better lol !!!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:55 pm

We think ours are good but then we probably don't know any better lol !!!
You are fortunate if they are. Ours hadn't a clue about the simplest of things. But I think it tends to be patchy, and if you strike lucky they can be helpful. Ours fell down largely on breastfeeding support which is an area no HV should fall down on really. She also kept insisting that our daughter was deaf and had a squint....neither of which were true.

Sue
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:58 pm
birmingham to brisbane

She also kept insisting that our daughter was deaf and had a squint....neither of which were true.

Sue

Crikey!!! Maybe we have been lucky ...

Have you found the support in sydney any better or have you just 'gone it alone' now?
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:03 pm

Crikey!!! Maybe we have been lucky ...

Have you found the support in sydney any better or have you just 'gone it alone' now?
Our dd was 8 on Monday, so it has long since ceased to be an issue for us. As I recall, our HV didn't even have children - and I have always preferred to trust the wisdom of other mothers rather than childless health professionals.

You've reminded me - I must change my *location* - we're in Fremantle right now.... I can't keep up!

Sue
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:09 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Our dd was 8 on Monday, so it has long since ceased to be an issue for us.
Oh right ... we still have all the headaches to come
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:16 pm

Oh right ... we still have all the headaches to come
Absolutely. Don't let anyone tell you it gets easier....it doesn't. Each different stage of childhood brings its own...joys....shall we say? Sometimes I wish kids came with instruction manuals - but then maybe the fact that they don't is what makes them such a joy. We're getting 8yo *attitude* right now. Thinks she knows it all....

And the thing about parenthood is there is no time off for good behaviour!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.