Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Visitors for children in Oz

Wikiposts

Health Visitors for children in Oz

Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health Visitors for children in Oz

In the UK my little kids had a Health Visitor I went to if I had any concerns like potty training, eating etc.

What is the equivalent here in Oz? Is there the same kind of system here?

I want to get my little one on the speech therapy waiting list - as he was on the list in the UK but I don't know how to go about it.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Visitors for children in Oz

Originally Posted by Luma
In the UK my little kids had a Health Visitor I went to if I had any concerns like potty training, eating etc.

I want to get my little one on the speech therapy waiting list - as he was on the list in the UK but I don't know how to go about it.

Check out through your local council. My wifes was thrilled with our local health visitors.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:37 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Try your Early Childhood Centre..
http://www.mhcs.health.nsw.gov.au/he...ions/6180.html

We've one up here in Av that the OH visits with our little un for weekly checks.
There should be one near you. Don't know if they can help.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin is a Health visitor here, I think its about the same as UK but they aren't called Health Visistors, cant remember what they are called though.

Jo
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:36 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gedge
Try your Early Childhood Centre..
http://www.mhcs.health.nsw.gov.au/he...ions/6180.html

We've one up here in Av that the OH visits with our little un for weekly checks.
There should be one near you. Don't know if they can help.
For some reason I thought you were in Sydney, so that link is appropriate, but you should be able to find similar for WA.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:29 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

They have child health nurses here, i saw one once when Indie was really small and she had a child clinic that she ran.

If you want a referral for anything you would be best to start with your GP, he'll tell you where to find your local child health clinic and will tell you what to do re the speach therapy, I'm not sure if you need a referral or if you can just go, it may be worth while calling one of the speach therapy places and asking them, there are a couple in Joondalup i think.

Lynn
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:43 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

As previous poster said, your GP will tell you who your local child health nurse is. Ours does all the same things that our UK one did.

Speech Therapy - If you contact the State Child Development Centre Tel: 9426 9444 they should be able to tell you who to contact. This centre is a fantastic facility in Subiaco, I couldn't believe how good the service was. They saw my daughter fairly quickly and were unbelieveably thorough, and gave me lots of opportunity to refer on to other services as required. We saw the physiotherapist. Our referral was made by our child health nurse.

Good luck!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by webgum
As previous poster said, your GP will tell you who your local child health nurse is. Ours does all the same things that our UK one did.

Speech Therapy - If you contact the State Child Development Centre Tel: 9426 9444 they should be able to tell you who to contact. This centre is a fantastic facility in Subiaco, I couldn't believe how good the service was. They saw my daughter fairly quickly and were unbelieveably thorough, and gave me lots of opportunity to refer on to other services as required. We saw the physiotherapist. Our referral was made by our child health nurse.

Good luck!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I phoned them up - they said a needed a referral from GP. So I rang up GP and got appointment this afternoon. GP was really nice - she checked to see if his ears were clear and his grommits were still in place etc. She typed up the letter for speech therapy referral there and then on her PC and faxed it off to them straight away from her fax machine. Talk about speedy service!!

Originally Posted by webgum

Good luck!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:43 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I phoned them up - they said a needed a referral from GP. So I rang up GP and got appointment this afternoon. GP was really nice - she checked to see if his ears were clear and his grommits were still in place etc. She typed up the letter for speech therapy referral there and then on her PC and faxed it off to them straight away from her fax machine. Talk about speedy service!!
That's great. It's a whole load easier than the prehistoric NHS huh!!