Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health visitors?

Health visitors?

Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Health visitors?

Was chatting with my health visitor this week and she didnt know if they had HVs in Australia, she knew that there was a system similar to the 'little red book' we have here in U.K. but didnt know if there were HVs......not that I am a fan anyway, but just curious.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Health visitors?

HI I have recently moved from UK and was a HV there. I am currently in Queensland where they have a 'similar' role but there are similar roles in most states. Definately in SA, Vic and NSW not sure about WA but sure someone will let you know about that.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Tillysmum it is SA we are heading so thats really helpful.

sending Karma (to kiss ass because I said im not a fan of HVs)
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Your welcome
but please dont tar all HV's with the same brush, some of us are actually quite nice and normal (well most of the time)
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:33 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillysmum
HI I have recently moved from UK and was a HV there. I am currently in Queensland where they have a 'similar' role but there are similar roles in most states. Definately in SA, Vic and NSW not sure about WA but sure someone will let you know about that.
Hi I hope you are all settled in well, long time no see!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Asher
Yeh getting there, slowly finding our way round and looking for our piece of heaven
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh how I wish we had health visitors here! The closest is the maternal and child health nurses but they are few and far between and reluctant to visit in the home and much prefer the clinic visits.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:26 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Only a midwife came to see me at home , S.A Don't recall a H.V. Similar is available I'm pretty certain.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I had one at home HV visit, after that we go to the clinic.

I was home a whole week before anyone came to check on me, luckily my mum was here or I might have been going spare by then.

They are very lapse, dont know if that's a WA thing or Aus-wide, but they came after a week, then the next time she didnt say whether she was coming here or me to her so I assumed she was coming here. Sat here waiting, nothing.... after a couple of hours I phoned and she said I was meant to go to her. But you'd think they would have rung to check when I didnt show in case something was wrong?!

we had the visit the week after the birth, then six weeks, then three months and her next one is eight months.....
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridie

I was home a whole week before anyone came to check on me, luckily my mum was here or I might have been going spare by then.

They are very lapse, dont know if that's a WA thing or Aus-wide, but they came after a week, then the next time she didnt say whether she was coming here or me to her so I assumed she was coming here. Sat here waiting, nothing.... after a couple of hours I phoned and she said I was meant to go to her. But you'd think they would have rung to check when I didnt show in case something was wrong?!

we had the visit the week after the birth, then six weeks, then three months and her next one is eight months.....
Hi Birdie, are you back in Freo now?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:21 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the Child Health Nurse - they are similar to HV but not quite (I prefer HV role). They don't seem to do as much home visiting as their UK counter parts.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
Hi Birdie, are you back in Freo now?
First off, it's Bridie and secondly no, never lived in Freo....
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:15 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was a poster called Birdie who lived in Freo quite a while back.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

Sorry Bridie, I read your avatar & got you mixed up with Birdie who lived in Freo but went to New Zealand for a year. My apologies!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

I'm a HV from the UK now working (???) as a child health nurse in WA.....

I've found it very strange to adapt to the way they work over here, as I know several of my British migrant collegues have found..... The home visiting part of the service is non-existant BUT......not for the want of us UKers wanting to do more home visiting, unfortunately management, Aussie child health nurses and beaurocracy dictates

I'm sorry to those of you who have had, or feel they have had, poor service but don't blame all the workers, we are trying (very trying on times my husband tells me!!) to make a better service but as migrants ourselves it's very difficult to be heard or even taken seriously.... All I can say is I hope I give a good service to my clients, I try my best, but management and the heirarchy do make it very difficult......from independant caseload management in the UK I have come to targets and timeframes and passing on anything remotely challenging or demanding to numerous other agencies cos i'm told I haven't got the time to deal with them as I have to do "checks" constantly!!!:curse:

Please accept my apologies from all of us trying to get you a good service....we will continue to try, promise, then maybe you will feel we are 'worth it' x x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.