Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance - I'm confused!

Health Insurance - I'm confused!

Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Health Insurance - I'm confused!

We are here on a 457 and I need to sort out private health insurance which the company will pay for. However I am confused as to what is not covered under the reciprocal agreement. I know that all immediately neccessary treatment is covered but surely that would just about cover everything wouldn't it - otherwise you probably wouldn't be at the doctor's/hospital in the first place? The only things I can think of that wouldn't be covered are things like therapy ie speech, occupational etc, hearing aids etc etc but then you don't get these on full medicare anyway. So what's the difference between full medicare and reciprocal medicare? A few weeks ago I had to have my teeth x rayed and thought that maybe it would be argued that it wasn't immdeiately neccessary treatment, but I had no problem and got the normal amount back from medicare. So if having my teeth x rayed for the dentist wasn't classed as "not immediately nessessary", what is?
I was looking at the medicare private visitors cover where they were asking for over $300 per month, but I couldn't see what it was that I was paying for (or the company was paying for), other than the chance to get operations done quicker in a private hospital. As far as I could see, all the hospital stuff would be covered under reciprical agreement anyway, although I would have to wait to wait longer to have it done, but no longer than someone on full medicare.
Could someone please correct me where I have got the wrong end of the stick. I am sure I must be missing the point somewhere.
We will get private health insurance anyway, seeing as the company is paying and also so we don't have to pay the extra medicare levy, but I want to make sure we get the right policy and that we are covered under medicare for what I think we're covered for.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: Health Insurance - I'm confused!

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are here on a 457 and I need to sort out private health insurance which the company will pay for. However I am confused as to what is not covered under the reciprocal agreement. I know that all immediately neccessary treatment is covered but surely that would just about cover everything wouldn't it - otherwise you probably wouldn't be at the doctor's/hospital in the first place? The only things I can think of that wouldn't be covered are things like therapy ie speech, occupational etc, hearing aids etc etc but then you don't get these on full medicare anyway. So what's the difference between full medicare and reciprocal medicare? A few weeks ago I had to have my teeth x rayed and thought that maybe it would be argued that it wasn't immdeiately neccessary treatment, but I had no problem and got the normal amount back from medicare. So if having my teeth x rayed for the dentist wasn't classed as "not immediately nessessary", what is?
I was looking at the medicare private visitors cover where they were asking for over $300 per month, but I couldn't see what it was that I was paying for (or the company was paying for), other than the chance to get operations done quicker in a private hospital. As far as I could see, all the hospital stuff would be covered under reciprical agreement anyway, although I would have to wait to wait longer to have it done, but no longer than someone on full medicare.
Could someone please correct me where I have got the wrong end of the stick. I am sure I must be missing the point somewhere.
We will get private health insurance anyway, seeing as the company is paying and also so we don't have to pay the extra medicare levy, but I want to make sure we get the right policy and that we are covered under medicare for what I think we're covered for.
Have a look at this:

http://www.medicare.gov.au/yourhealt...ta_italy.shtml

Not much detail but may help....