Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

taff lewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance

The last requirement for my 457 visa approval is health insurance. I am an United Kingdom citizen and my partner is from South America were we currently live. She lived with me in the UK in 2008 and we have supplied all the supporting de facto papers etc.
I am puzzled as to what health cover I need because of the reciprocal health agreement between UK and Australia, and if my partner is also eligible for the same cover as me, she was treated in the UK on the National Health service without any problems and has an UK issued Medical Card.
has anybody had similar experiences or advice? I would be most grateful, and also any recomendations for Health Insurance companies
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Read this :

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-h...isa-holder.htm

It would appear that your visa is for a temporary stay and so you are not automatically covered by the Australian health system?

Looks like health insurance is required for certain medical options such as hospitalisation.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Aug 21st 2012 at 11:11 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taff lewis
The last requirement for my 457 visa approval is health insurance. I am an United Kingdom citizen and my partner is from South America were we currently live. She lived with me in the UK in 2008 and we have supplied all the supporting de facto papers etc.
I am puzzled as to what health cover I need because of the reciprocal health agreement between UK and Australia, and if my partner is also eligible for the same cover as me, she was treated in the UK on the National Health service without any problems and has an UK issued Medical Card.
has anybody had similar experiences or advice? I would be most grateful, and also any recomendations for Health Insurance companies
You need private health insurance. You are not resident in UK, so I'm not sure why you think you would still be entitled to NHS treatment. Your wife, if not a UK resident is not eligible either.

The reciprocal agreement is for urgent/emergency care only, and does not cover basic health care. There are loads of threads about private cover. A quick search (look on the pink bar) of the forum will give you dozens of results.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taff lewis
A lot of UK 457 applicants just get medical insurance until they get ionshore and can register with medicare. After that you can cancel if you wish, but you have to have that initial proof of in surance to get the visa and tide you over for the first few days.