Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice
Default Health Insurance

Hi., I am arriving on a 457 visa early next year. Can anyone advise if my husband and I need a) medical insurance b) need a medical before we arrive in australia..

If we do need medical insurance, can anyone recommend reasonably priced ones?

Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Health Insurance

I'd say this would be organised by the employer for the employee and the insurance would include the rest of the family and the cost is deducted from the salary as health insurance is compulsory. Medicals are probably not required, but there may be professions or countries of origin that require it, not sure. Don't forget to claim the Medicare Levy back which you pay through your tax even though you are not covered by Medicare. Also note, once you have applied for PR you can register cover with Medicare. That should save you some $$$.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

JaneArchie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Supertoots
Hi., I am arriving on a 457 visa early next year. Can anyone advise if my husband and I need a) medical insurance b) need a medical before we arrive in australia..

If we do need medical insurance, can anyone recommend reasonably priced ones?

Thanks
Hi there. We're due to move to oz in January on a 457. We had to arrange medical insurance as a prerequisite for getting the visa. Have a look at IMAN austalian health plans http://www.austhealth.com/. You should find what you're looking for there. We took out the basic plan for our family of 4 and will look to change that, if necessary, on arrival.

As for medicals, we didn't require them. I believe it depends on the job you are going out to do.

Jane
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice

Originally Posted by edmontron
I'd say this would be organised by the employer for the employee and the insurance would include the rest of the family and the cost is deducted from the salary as health insurance is compulsory. Medicals are probably not required, but there may be professions or countries of origin that require it, not sure. Don't forget to claim the Medicare Levy back which you pay through your tax even though you are not covered by Medicare. Also note, once you have applied for PR you can register cover with Medicare. That should save you some $$$.
Thanks this is really helpful. Do you know how I claim Medicare Levy back?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Snap

We move to Sydney on a 457 in January and it was a pre-requisite of the VISA approval.

You will need to send a letter of proof that you have obtained medical cover, as part of your application.

We also took out a fairly basic plan with IMAN too; they automatically issued us with an appropriate letter to send as an attachment with out application.

I'm joining a large company there and they did not arrange medical cover, but I guess each employment offer is different.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

You submit a Medicare Levy Exemption Form with your Tax Declaration, the Health Insurance company that you will be with can help.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You can't claim the Medicare levy back if you come from the UK. This is because you are entitled to use Medicare under the reciprocal arrangement.
Sorry!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
You can't claim the Medicare levy back if you come from the UK. This is because you are entitled to use Medicare under the reciprocal arrangement.
Sorry!
Yes you are right, if you are British (and a few other nationalities included). My mistake (I'm not British), but then I don't think full private Health Insurance is compulsory if you are covered by Medicare...? Then you only need insurance for the cost of shipping your body back should you pass away in Australia while being here on a temporary visa.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by edmontron
Yes you are right, if you are British (and a few other nationalities included). My mistake (I'm not British), but then I don't think full private Health Insurance is compulsory if you are covered by Medicare...? Then you only need insurance for the cost of shipping your body back should you pass away in Australia while being here on a temporary visa.
Maybe true, but I think the Health Cover you will be entitled to under Medicare is somewhat limited and generally related to emergency care. An additional, basic private policy would help in this respect.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Maybe true, but I think the Health Cover you will be entitled to under Medicare is somewhat limited and generally related to emergency care. An additional, basic private policy would help in this respect.
Thanks everyone!