Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for 457 visa (British citizen)

Health insurance for 457 visa (British citizen)

Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health insurance for 457 visa (British citizen)

Hi All,

I am in the process of gathering all my information to send to the migration officer dealing with me for the company who are sponsoring me on a 457 visa. The only thing I need to sort out now is the health insurance and I am ready to send it off.

I've just emailed the officer but got an out of office reply but ideally I want to sort this out before the weekend.

Can anyone advise whether if I were to get insurance from http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/ for 'gap year, study abroad and working holiday' for say a 6 month period, would this cover the 457 visa requirements? Or if not if anyone can advise on the cheapest method for me to get insurance that does satisfy the 457 I would be most grateful.

I was advised to get insurance for at least a 3 month period as until my visa is granted I cannot arrange flights / relocation and start date.

Thanks,

Dan
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Health insurance for 457 visa (British citizen)

I had to take out insurance to get my 457 last week.. There's another medical thread around this page with more on. Minimum was about $160 a month..
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I *think* it's got to be with an Australian company.

I used Australian Unity who were very helpful after I changed my visa application and cancelled it - almost full refund.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that it didn't have to be with an Australian company. And I didn't mean the medical cover I was just wondering if normal travel insurance satisfies the 457 requirements as it would give me a few weeks to get Medicare and sort out medical cover if I wanted it. If anyone knows then I would love to hear as this is the only thing I am waiting to sort out before I can send my visa and documents off. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Hi All,

I am in the process of gathering all my information to send to the migration officer dealing with me for the company who are sponsoring me on a 457 visa. The only thing I need to sort out now is the health insurance and I am ready to send it off.

I've just emailed the officer but got an out of office reply but ideally I want to sort this out before the weekend.

Can anyone advise whether if I were to get insurance from http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/ for 'gap year, study abroad and working holiday' for say a 6 month period, would this cover the 457 visa requirements? Or if not if anyone can advise on the cheapest method for me to get insurance that does satisfy the 457 I would be most grateful.

I was advised to get insurance for at least a 3 month period as until my visa is granted I cannot arrange flights / relocation and start date.

Thanks,

Dan
Tell your employer to pay it!!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Tell your employer to pay it!!
The employer no longer has to pay it. The obligation rests with the applicant.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I was told that it didn't have to be with an Australian company. And I didn't mean the medical cover I was just wondering if normal travel insurance satisfies the 457 requirements as it would give me a few weeks to get Medicare and sort out medical cover if I wanted it. If anyone knows then I would love to hear as this is the only thing I am waiting to sort out before I can send my visa and documents off. Thanks.
My understanding was that you need to get private medical insurance not travel insurance to satisfy the visa requirements.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My understanding was that you need to get private medical insurance not travel insurance to satisfy the visa requirements.
Correct.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The employer no longer has to pay it. The obligation rests with the applicant.
But if the employer doesn't pay, then it is effectively a pay cut on the employee compared to an Australian doing the same job. Who would accept a job offer on that basis?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But if the employer doesn't pay, then it is effectively a pay cut on the employee compared to an Australian doing the same job. Who would accept a job offer on that basis?
Someone who wants to get to Australia and needs that sponsorship in order to do it. If you want that job/opportunity bad enough then you pay for it. Last person i know who had a 457 only had to shell out $50 a month on it, and considered it well worth it.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Someone who wants to get to Australia and needs that sponsorship in order to do it. If you want that job/opportunity bad enough then you pay for it. Last person i know who had a 457 only had to shell out $50 a month on it, and considered it well worth it.

50?! Who was that with? My basic one iv found is 150 a month!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
50?! Who was that with? My basic one iv found is 150 a month!
Tried here? http://www.iselect.com.au/

If you can find it for $50 a month I'd be staggered.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Tried here? http://www.iselect.com.au/

If you can find it for $50 a month I'd be staggered.
Creature, you and I know that iSelect only has content from sponsoring firms - but the OP may not.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Creature, you and I know that iSelect only has content from sponsoring firms - but the OP may not.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Still, it's a good place to start looking, especially from overseas.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Still, it's a good place to start looking, especially from overseas.

I didn't think that iSelect covered 457 visa policies...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.