Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Crisis: Trapped in Australia forever?

Health Crisis: Trapped in Australia forever?

Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Health Crisis: Trapped in Australia forever?

A member of my family was due to return to the UK from here on holiday at the weekend. He's in his late 60s, and has suffered a series of infections that are affecting his organs. Things are looking quite positive just now, but he needs to undergo a course of operations over the next few days, and there is a small risk that he may be indefinitely unable to fly. I'll obviously contact DIMIA if that looks like happening, but could anyone point me to any emergency visa provisions that would apply to someone who is unable to leave Australian shores for health reasons?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Crisis: Trapped in Australia forever?

Firstly, you may well need an agent.
Secondly, Try this visa -
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/spec.../685/index.htm
Might be what you're looking for, but I'm just hazarding a guess!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:20 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
A member of my family was due to return to the UK from here on holiday at the weekend. He's in his late 60s, and has suffered a series of infections that are affecting his organs. Things are looking quite positive just now, but he needs to undergo a course of operations over the next few days, and there is a small risk that he may be indefinitely unable to fly. I'll obviously contact DIMIA if that looks like happening, but could anyone point me to any emergency visa provisions that would apply to someone who is unable to leave Australian shores for health reasons?
Hi CHnJ,

A medical treatment visa is available. There are two version, short stay and long stay. See http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/spec.../675/index.htm for the short stay and http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/spec.../685/index.htm for the long stay. Not a complex situation at all if the situation arises, this is one area where DIMA shows plenty of compassion.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Thank you for that clear information guys. It's a great comfort.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:21 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

love the avatar George!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:34 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ

good luck

hope they recover quickly

jan xx
Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan and sam
love the avatar George!
Yeah, I'm trying to remember what the old one looked like now!.

Thanks for the thought too Robos. We're hopeful that he's on the mend.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Hi CHnJ - think you have the info you need - that's why this site is so great. Just wanted to say that hope your family member gets better - good luck and health to you all. xx