Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health conditions for medicals. Pass or Failure?

Health conditions for medicals. Pass or Failure?

Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Health conditions for medicals. Pass or Failure?

Hi, can anyone help us with the medicals for Australia. What the process is, does the doctor indicate any health conditions that would result in failing the medicals?

We are desperate to move down under as my husband is a roofer by trade although is has a job offer of a semi-skilled worker in a factory, until we get on our feet and he sets himself up in roofing.

However the medicals are worrying us - can anyone help??? I have diabetes, unreactive thyroid and had a heart attack 18 months ago, having a stent inserted I have had no other problems since! Fit and healthy otherwise. My daughter has diabetes to and has for the past 4 years.

What are our chances of passing the medicals? Does anyone know?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health conditions for medicals. Pass or Failure?

Your medicals will be passed or failed depending on how much your conditions are likely to cost the Australian taxpayer. If you regularly require outpatient treatment or hospitalisation then it is more likely that your medicals would either be classed B or not passed.
However, we passed our meds and I also had a mild heart attack 4 years ago. I simply had my cardiologist write a letter stating that with proper medication I am as fit as anyone else. My son also has mild Tourette's and we had his doctors write reports as well as to his prognosis. Diabetes or heart disease are not in themselves grounds for refusal, so don't despair. Just be sure to have your endocrinologist and cardiologist give you reports to take with you when you have your medicals done.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dotnron
Your medicals will be passed or failed depending on how much your conditions are likely to cost the Australian taxpayer. If you regularly require outpatient treatment or hospitalisation then it is more likely that your medicals would either be classed B or not passed.
However, we passed our meds and I also had a mild heart attack 4 years ago. I simply had my cardiologist write a letter stating that with proper medication I am as fit as anyone else. My son also has mild Tourette's and we had his doctors write reports as well as to his prognosis. Diabetes or heart disease are not in themselves grounds for refusal, so don't despair. Just be sure to have your endocrinologist and cardiologist give you reports to take with you when you have your medicals done.
Spot on.

My son has a heart problem and he needed extra tests to demonstrate likelihood of future probs. We also needed to demonstrate with medication all would be controlled. He got the visa.

Don't worry yourself. I know it's easier said than done but generally speaking if your medical conditions are under control and don't cost an arm and a leg to maintain, then you should be OK.

Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi

I have an overactive thyroid problem (for past 3 1/2 yrs) although at the moment my blood count is showing is normal. I got a letter from the consultant at the hospital to state that it is stable and Im not under mediation at the moment and they provided this letter for free. I took it with me and they attached it to the medicals. The panel Dr (Million) in Manchester stated that he thought this was sufffice.

Oh and by the way we both were a few pound overweight too (as long as your BMI is under 40 they wont reject you).

All in all we passed (I was panicking like mad cos of condition as I will need to have it checked regularly forever).

Hope this helps
Watty n Arls :scared: