Health Concern

Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all
Default Health Concern

We're off to Perth in 10 days time, house sold, shippers and flights booked. Anyway a couple of days ago I found a small lump on my 14yr old sons neck. Took him to the doctors today who said it was a swollen lymph node and that my son needed a blood test. The doctor said he couldn't do it as we wouldn't get the results before we left. Obviously I want to get this checked out as soon as possible but not sure how long it takes to register with a doctor in Perth. Any advice appreciated

Thanks Jules
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:51 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Concern

Originally Posted by jules
We're off to Perth in 10 days time, house sold, shippers and flights booked. Anyway a couple of days ago I found a small lump on my 14yr old sons neck. Took him to the doctors today who said it was a swollen lymph node and that my son needed a blood test. The doctor said he couldn't do it as we wouldn't get the results before we left. Obviously I want to get this checked out as soon as possible but not sure how long it takes to register with a doctor in Perth. Any advice appreciated

Thanks Jules

have you contacted your local private hospital, they may get it done quicker?
although if they suspect its something viral, it would be at least 72 hours from the blood getting to the lab before they could get a positive/negative culture result.

im sure its not much (not that money is an issue im sure) for an urgent consult and blood test.....or try your local childrens a & e, they may be more sympathetic to your concerns. I think you could definately consider this an emmergency, considering you are moving to theother side of the world very shortly!!! (not cos its anything sinister!!)

sue

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Aug 24th 2005 at 2:53 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

just another thought, your doc could get the blood test done, then let you know the result when you are in aus. Any treatment needed could then be arranged in aus with minimal delay.
im sure its nothing to worry about. one of my 4 year olds has a lymph node on the side of his neck the size of a pea....it comes and goes, but the docs arent concerned its anything sinister.

sue
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Jules

I'm not sure about WA, but here in SA (Adelaide) you can phone any doctors surgery and register when you go in for your appointment - even the same day.

You do need some sort of medical cover though, Medicare, Travel Insurance, I think there's an agreement with the UK which covers you for a while.

Why would the blood test take too long in the UK, couldn't your Dr have had it done within 7 days?

gd
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jules
You dion't actually regoster as such over here, you can pick and choose your doctor, and change as often as you like. So you could take your son to one as soon as you get here - no worries even about living in the right area, you just go to anyone that has a free spot.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies. I might try and get the blood test done privately. Am trying not to get too concerned because I'm sure it's nothing, my son doesn't feel ill or tired, just as healthy as usual.

Jules
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:31 am

Thanks for your replies. I might try and get the blood test done privately. Am trying not to get too concerned because I'm sure it's nothing, my son doesn't feel ill or tired, just as healthy as usual.

Jules
let us know how you get on