British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Health Check - what does it encompass? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/health-check-what-does-encompass-106772/)

JKA_RobinHood Feb 25th 2002 8:05 pm

Health Check - what does it encompass?

I've started on the form -filling for migration to Australia. What I can't find out is if the medical results will go against my application (kinda need to know before I fork out £2000 :))

I am diabetic (TypeI). Will this go against me in my application, and if not, when I arrive in Oz will I have to pay for my insulin for a fixed period of time until I am eligible for benefits?

Any feedback from diabetics woyld be much appreciated, thanks.

JKA_RobinHood Feb 27th 2002 4:18 pm

Re: Health Check - what does it encompass?

Any diabetics out there? As I am on insulin does anyone know if I can get this on Medicare (just like the good ol' National Health Service) or will I be liable to pay for insulin? Will this be a stumbling block on my application for PR?

It's hereditary you see and I can't blame my mum as it's fast approaching Mother's Day :)

Please help someone!!

Jacqui Feb 27th 2002 6:30 pm

I'm sure I read in one of the Australian News a letter from a guy asking similar questions about being diabetic, and I think he was advised that medical problems don't automatically prevent you from applying as long as the costs to the Australian health service will be less than $16,000 per year.

Other people have also written in with their stories about medical problems; I believe there was one family where the children were asthmatic and the medical picked up heart and other problems in the adults, but they still got their visas ok.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply to you. In the meantime, I'll go through my back issues and see what I can find.

JKA_RobinHood Feb 27th 2002 7:29 pm

Thanks for the information Jacqui, much appreciated.

Jacqui Feb 28th 2002 9:08 am

Good news for you! The March issue of Australian News arrived this morning, and it has an article about the medicals with some information for diabetics. Here are some parts of the article to show the information you were after:

" Provided the applicant does not pose a public health or safety risk, decisions are based on the potential cost and impact on the Australian community resulting from the possible use of medical and related services. No condition, with the exception of tuberculosis, automaticaly precludes the grant of a visa. All other conditions are investigated individually for estimated costs and resource use impact on the Australian community."

"Australia's comprehensive medical system, Medicare, applies to all Australian citizens and residents in need and it is not possible to 'opt out' of Medicare."

"And even seemingly serious conditions can be accepted. Applicants who test positive for Hep B do not automatically fail the health criterion........even patients diagnosed as positive for HIV/AIDS are not automatically refused........people with conditions that can be managed by a GP or outpatients departments will have no problems. For example, the vast majority of people with diabetes, hypertension or episodic asthma would pass."

Time for you to fill out that visa form now! Good luck!

JKA_RobinHood Feb 28th 2002 5:43 pm

Thank you ever so much, I am indebted. I've just subscribed to 'Australia News' so I'll probably get to read the full article. I don't want to be a burden, far from it, I'm a workaholic by nature but that has put my mind at ease and I'm now in 'tunnel vision mode' :)