Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Care Experience TODAY

Health Care Experience TODAY

Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Dawnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Care Experience TODAY

For those worrying about some of the posts on here about healthcare. Here's my experience of the system today - just the facts.

My son had a suspected broken thumb playing footie

Phoned the DOCTORS surgery - yes, no problems appointment with doctor in 30 minutes time

Arrived at doctors surgery at 9:45am. Greeted by a pleasant smiling receptionist

Seen by Doctor at 9:50am - he spoke in clear, understandable English

Doctor ordered X-ray at 9:55am

X-ray done at 10:15am in the same clinic - they have a permanent radiologist. Unfortunatley a bit of a queue this morning

Saw doctor again at 10:30am to be told not broken just a sprain

Paid $39 on the way out, $25 which we immediately got back from the medicare shop 20 minutes later.

We experienced the same treatment about 6 months ago when my daughter broke her arm, even though we were only temporary residents then
Old Jul 18th 2003, 6:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care Experience TODAY

Originally posted by Dawnie
For those worrying about some of the posts on here about healthcare. Here's my experience of the system today - just the facts.

My son had a suspected broken thumb playing footie

Phoned the DOCTORS surgery - yes, no problems appointment with doctor in 30 minutes time

Arrived at doctors surgery at 9:45am. Greeted by a pleasant smiling receptionist

Seen by Doctor at 9:50am - he spoke in clear, understandable English

Doctor ordered X-ray at 9:55am

X-ray done at 10:15am in the same clinic - they have a permanent radiologist. Unfortunatley a bit of a queue this morning

Saw doctor again at 10:30am to be told not broken just a sprain

Paid $39 on the way out, $25 which we immediately got back from the medicare shop 20 minutes later.

We experienced the same treatment about 6 months ago when my daughter broke her arm, even though we were only temporary residents then
Big deal so kids get broken thumbs or arms done , had same level of treatment for my son in the UK only with no charge at all, whats new.

Old Jul 18th 2003, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Medical experience, good friends kid.

Kid with learning difficulites and (cleft palate), dyslexia however you are not allowed to call a person with learning difficulites that. PC.

Take kid to GP, $45.00/ $ 24 back. Referral to Specalist, 2 month wait, $140.00 /104 back. Referal for testing $300 nothing back. Referal to speech therapist $300 nothing back, Speech therapy place not available, Parents to do speech therapy at home.

Neighbour, breast cancer, treatment for radiation not available in area with 250,000 people so she receives passes to take the Public bus service (2 hours each way to Brisbane) while suffering the horrendous side effects of treatment.

2 sides to every coin, My local Doctor is brilliant too, Australia has an enormous surplus of GP's in Cities/Burbs, however hit the hospital/support system and its a very different story.