Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Care Confusion

Health Care Confusion

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice
Default Health Care Confusion

Hi,

We are being sponsored on a 457 and a condition in the letter of engagement states that we purchase private medical insurance with HBA.

Can it be stipulated first of all exactly which insurance company you use, not that I think there'll be a problem with HBA?

Also looking on HBA website I found the following:

Are you sponsored by your company?
If you have a class 457 Visa through an arrangement in which you are sponsored by an Australian business, your sponsor undertakes to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to pay all medical or hospital expenses arising from treatment administered in a public hospital for you and your dependants (other than costs that are met by overseas visitor health cover arrangements) while you are working in Australia.

So am I correct in thinking that by us taking out this insurance the company then don't have to pay for anything? I'm confused as to what they would have been paying for in the first place as I thought medicare covered you for public hospital treatment Or am I just thick

Also the company sponsoring us said when we initially spoke to them that they would cover husbands medical insurance but not the rest of us (myself and 3 kids)! They are using an agent for the visa application and when sending HBA/medicare questions to this agent they have just sent me links to both websites which isn't helping me.

Main things I'm confused about:

Who should be paying for what.

Do I have to sort out before arriving in Australia, if not how long does it take to sort out as hubby can't start working without it.

What level of cover should I be looking at?

Any help really appreciated.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:29 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care Confusion

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
Hi,

We are being sponsored on a 457 and a condition in the letter of engagement states that we purchase private medical insurance with HBA.

Can it be stipulated first of all exactly which insurance company you use, not that I think there'll be a problem with HBA?

Also looking on HBA website I found the following:

Are you sponsored by your company?
If you have a class 457 Visa through an arrangement in which you are sponsored by an Australian business, your sponsor undertakes to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to pay all medical or hospital expenses arising from treatment administered in a public hospital for you and your dependants (other than costs that are met by overseas visitor health cover arrangements) while you are working in Australia.

So am I correct in thinking that by us taking out this insurance the company then don't have to pay for anything? I'm confused as to what they would have been paying for in the first place as I thought medicare covered you for public hospital treatment Or am I just thick

Also the company sponsoring us said when we initially spoke to them that they would cover husbands medical insurance but not the rest of us (myself and 3 kids)! They are using an agent for the visa application and when sending HBA/medicare questions to this agent they have just sent me links to both websites which isn't helping me.

Main things I'm confused about:

Who should be paying for what.

Do I have to sort out before arriving in Australia, if not how long does it take to sort out as hubby can't start working without it.

What level of cover should I be looking at?

Any help really appreciated.

If they want you to get health cover as a condition of contract, then yes - they will be getting you to pay for health cover they are otherwise obliged to meet. They are entitled to do this, you just have to decide if this is something you want to accept. We found you pay a higher premium for less cover as you are a temp resident, somewhere around $300+ per month.

Medicare reciprocal agreement will cover you for necessary and emergency cover only (or wording to that effect) - assuming you are a british citizen. This will cover accidents etc, but probably not doctors appointments etc where treatment/consultation is not urgent.

Best thing is to get the employer to sponsor you for PR immediately, or try and negotiate the healthcare into your package.

Good luck!

ps - do not forget to ask if they provide Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) on your 457 as this is a good tax benefit.

Last edited by stevemich; Jun 3rd 2008 at 6:32 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Hi Stevemich

Thanks for getting back to me and helping me understand this

Unfortunately we can't get PR straight away as hubby is a plant operator and this was our only route in - to be sponsored in a regional area on a 457 and then PR through RSMS after 2 years!

I did also asked about LAFHA but they said they don't offer that!

I guess we are just in for a lean couple of years!

Do you know if this is something we can quickly set up once we get there? I see on the HBA application form that they want visa number and something from medicare, so I presume we have to have all this first?

Anyones thoughts/advice appreciated.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:16 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
Hi Stevemich

Thanks for getting back to me and helping me understand this

Unfortunately we can't get PR straight away as hubby is a plant operator and this was our only route in - to be sponsored in a regional area on a 457 and then PR through RSMS after 2 years!

I did also asked about LAFHA but they said they don't offer that!

I guess we are just in for a lean couple of years!

Do you know if this is something we can quickly set up once we get there? I see on the HBA application form that they want visa number and something from medicare, so I presume we have to have all this first?

Anyones thoughts/advice appreciated.
Setting up healthcare is relatively quick (they can cover you almost straight away) once you have the bits of info you mention - but you will still have to wait some months before you can claim for certain items such as optical or dental (depending on HBA's terms).

To be honest, it does not sound like the company are trying to assist you much! They will not give LAFHA and say you must pay healthcare... are they paying your flights and shipping costs?
You may want to question if you are prepared to work for a company who seem to be taking advantage of your desire to work in Oz. Do not forget that on a 457 visa if your employment ends for whatever reason, you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country... Are they a reliable enough employer to give up your UK life for??

I really hope you get a solution you want.

Steve

Last edited by stevemich; Jun 3rd 2008 at 8:23 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevemich
Setting up healthcare is relatively quick (they can cover you almost straight away) once you have the bits of info you mention - but you will still have to wait some months before you can claim for certain items such as optical or dental (depending on HBA's terms).

To be honest, it does not sound like the company are trying to assist you much! They will not give LAFHA and say you must pay healthcare... are they paying your flights and shipping costs?
You may want to question if you are prepared to work for a company who seem to be taking advantage of your desire to work in Oz. Do not forget that on a 457 visa if your employment ends for whatever reason, you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country... Are they a reliable enough employer to give up your UK life for??

I really hope you get a solution you want.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks again for getting back to me.

The company is paying for hubby's x-ray and flight, the rest of us have to pay for ourselves.

With regards to them specifying we use HBA, I think this might have something to do with the people they are using to get our visa. I had an email from these people saying they can get us good rates through HBA so I'm thinking they must get something out of it! I've just looked for this company on the MARA list (as they lodged the visa for us) and I can't find them, so I intend to speak to the company sponsoring us tonight with regards to this and the health care issue.

Thanks for your info and advice so far, it's much appreciated. I shall let you know how I get on!

Best Wishes
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi when we came over on 457 the company sponsoring my husband paid for all expenses to do with

Visa application for family of 4
Medicals & xrays for family of 4
Flights for family of 4
Removals And an amount of Air Freight
Car hire and accomodation for First month
Medical Insurance for family of 4

All of this was negotiated at the beginning and entered into the contract .

We were very lucky that they also applied for Pr as soon as we arrived and paid for all the associated costs for our family of 4.

It is not always the case but if you do not ask you might not get. so I would advice any one to get down to some hard haggling on what is to be included in your contract of employment.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did ask initially re company ute and medical info and was told they would help out with a vehicle until we were on our feet and that they would initially help hubby with medical insurance. However non of this is on the letter of engagement.

As my husband will be working away from where myself and the kids intend to live (3 1/2 hour drive - we will see him at weekends) they have also offered him free accommodation. They are also paying for the visa application, his xray and his flight but the rest of us have to pay for this. We will also need to look for accommodation where we shall be living.

As I said earlier, I do think they have now quoted HBA due to the people helping them with the application getting a deal with this. I shall discuss this with them later.

Regards

Originally Posted by swmbo63
Hi when we came over on 457 the company sponsoring my husband paid for all expenses to do with

Visa application for family of 4
Medicals & xrays for family of 4
Flights for family of 4
Removals And an amount of Air Freight
Car hire and accomodation for First month
Medical Insurance for family of 4

All of this was negotiated at the beginning and entered into the contract .

We were very lucky that they also applied for Pr as soon as we arrived and paid for all the associated costs for our family of 4.

It is not always the case but if you do not ask you might not get. so I would advice any one to get down to some hard haggling on what is to be included in your contract of employment.