Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health alarm over sunburnt children

Old Dec 27th 2003, 10:46 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Health alarm over sunburnt children

Albino rabbits will die from excessive sun exposure - they do not have the sense to avoid it.

Don't stake your untanned kids under the sun.

Forget the slop - just make sure your kids get a tan slowly.
Slip on a long sleeved shirt AND long trousers AND socks AND shoes AND slap on a hat AND exercise early in the day to become accustomed to heat.

Old Dec 27th 2003, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health alarm over sunburnt children

Originally posted by Megalania
Albino rabbits will die from excessive sun exposure - they do not have the sense to avoid it.

Slip on a long sleeved shirt AND long trousers AND socks AND shoes AND slap on a hat AND exercise early in the day to become accustomed to heat.

Keep taking the tablets Mcmeg :lecture:
Old Dec 27th 2003, 11:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by scottm
Keep taking the tablets Mcmeg :lecture:
Testing has revealed no preventative or curative effects of Vitamin A tablets on sunburn.

Last edited by Megalania; Dec 27th 2003 at 1:39 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Now now Mcmeg behave yourself :lecture:

Scottm
Old Dec 27th 2003, 1:34 pm
Banned

Now now Mcmeg behave yourself :lecture:

Scottm
However, some celtic types, especially Scots, never tan, they just go red. And some suffer Photosensitivity - a rash caused by illumination.

Last edited by Megalania; Dec 27th 2003 at 1:42 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

However, some celtic types, especially Scots, never tan, they just go red. And some suffer Photosensitivity - a rash caused by illumination.

Very interesting, NOT

scottm
Old Dec 27th 2003, 1:46 pm
Banned

Very interesting, NOT

scottm
A pre-darkened Scot?
Old Dec 27th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

A pre-darkened Scot?

No no no Mcmeg, your presumption that I am a scot is very very wrong.

Too bad Mcmeg, try again.

scottm
Old Dec 27th 2003, 7:03 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a very scary news report - it is very difficult to keep the kids indoors when its hot (and thats during the uk summer!!) I always use factor 50 or 60 on my 3, but even reapplying cream every hour and trying to keep them out of the sun doesnt stop em getting sunburn!! We bought a gazebo to go over the paddling pool last year which was a big success, and Im sure helped keep the little ones safe.

scottm - if you dont like megalanias posts put them on your ignore list - it gets a bit tedious wading through so much attitude!

sue
Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:16 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Thats a very scary news report - it is very difficult to keep the kids indoors when its hot (and thats during the uk summer!!) I always use factor 50 or 60 on my 3, but even reapplying cream every hour and trying to keep them out of the sun doesnt stop em getting sunburn!! We bought a gazebo to go over the paddling pool last year which was a big success, and Im sure helped keep the little ones safe.

scottm - if you dont like megalanias posts put them on your ignore list - it gets a bit tedious wading through so much attitude!

sue
I agree it is very concerning, although I am aware of an incident with a child in the UK who suffered extremely bad sunburn after a day on the beach in Anglessey, it had rained all week and was cloudy on the day they were at the beach.

Its the UV levels that are scary. I think it must be a nightmare trying to keep childrens skin protected. Especially as you don't want to wear too many clothes when it is hot, and if your in and out of the water all the time.

One thing that is good in Oz is the amount of information you do receive on UV levels etc and the advice to keep yourself protected from the sun.

I don't go out without cream on everyday, but my shoulder got burnt whilst we were sat in a cafe. I thought I was in the shade but there must have been a chink of sunlight breaking through from under the shade cover as the sun moved.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I've twice now been caught out in the sun, one day popping in and out of the house hanging out washing, and the second time on boxing day putting the safety pads on the trampoline. I feel so stupid getting burned as I am really fair skin and ALWAYS wear sun block if I'm out in the sun, I just didn't think 10 minutes in and out of the house would do it.

Gill
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the SPF only went up to 30. I always zinc my nose, forehead and cheeks when I surf. I have a hat and my free expensive sunnies do a great job. I found the brightness very tiring with my old cheapies. At this time of year you can get burnt walking around when it is cloudy. It happened to my nose the other day even with a good bas tan.

I have seen a few noseless people wandering about and that has made me put on more zinc.

And your mutts can get burnt as well

http://beardie.net/hobo/advice/morehot.htm
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
I thought the SPF only went up to 30.
I think it is more common in the UK to go up to SPF 50, I havent seen any here in OZ, but ive seen them in UK. It must be our white skins that need the higher rating.

This info from: http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/sunburn.htm
The Sun Protection Factor (SPF) refers to the protection against UVB and will be marked on the outside of the container. Factors range from 2 to as high as 50.