British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   heading from Ireland to Oz , want a 4*4, Should I buy before I go and export? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/heading-ireland-oz-want-4%2A4-should-i-buy-before-i-go-export-674403/)

JohnJ Jun 28th 2010 8:09 pm

heading from Ireland to Oz , want a 4*4, Should I buy before I go and export?

Car values second hand in Ireland, and also in Northern Ireland to some degree, have fallen through the floor, whereas while new values are cheaper in Oz, secondhand residuals seem quite high?
Also what models in UK would be easy to service and get parts in Oz?

Thanks

John

hoofie2002 Jun 29th 2010 1:32 am

Re: heading from Ireland to Oz , want a 4*4, Should I buy before I go and export?

Originally Posted by JohnJ (Post 8663580)
Car values second hand in Ireland, and also in Northern Ireland to some degree, have fallen through the floor, whereas while new values are cheaper in Oz, secondhand residuals seem quite high?

Thanks

John

I think you have to have owned it for a year first. This has been done to death on BE and the consensus is don't unless it's a classic vehicle as it's not financially worth it - grey imports are worth much less here.

If you insist on doing it then it then the obvious models would be land rovers, Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols.

freebo Jun 29th 2010 1:46 am

Re: heading from Ireland to Oz , want a 4*4, Should I buy before I go and export?

Thanks

John

Check the numbers carefully, we sold our cars before coming over because of the cost,hassle of doing it and the fact that the resale value of personal imports is pretty bad, I hear many dealers won't touch them either, e.g. a BMW dealer here will not take an "English" BMW in px. We did very detailed figures (a lot of work) and couldn't make it add up.

Even though on paper the car is woth a lot more here in practise it just wasn't worth it.

Japanese cars (at least new) are not too bad here, but anything European is unbeleivebly expensive if you're used to UK prices (think that luxury car tax has a lot to do with it).

Amazulu Jun 29th 2010 2:48 am

Thanks

John

It would be a lot of hassle and at the end of the day I reckon you would not save that much. Get one out here and bargain hard - I have always found car dealers ready to offer big discounts. It's one of the few areas in Australia where there is a lot of competition.

Most of the the 4x4s sold in the UK are here too.

darrellandsarah Jun 29th 2010 11:53 am

i bought my 06 nissan navara over.well worth it as ozzie specs are low.also as i use it for work i claimed back all costs involved with shipping and importation.100% tax deductable so didnt cost me a penny:thumbup:

jensteve Jun 30th 2010 1:44 pm

we bought an ancient range rover when we got here as a toy for weekend fun. The bodywork was imaculate, much better than its UK cousins even much younger ones, no rotting tail gate etc. It must be the weather but the bodywork is great. I have seen a great many UK 4x4 with rotting sills, wheel arches, none so much here.

Buy when you arrive, it may cost more than you expect but the condition will probably be better.

Jenny

JohnJ Jun 30th 2010 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve (Post 8667853)
we bought an ancient range rover when we got here as a toy for weekend fun. The bodywork was imaculate, much better than its UK cousins even much younger ones, no rotting tail gate etc. It must be the weather but the bodywork is great. I have seen a great many UK 4x4 with rotting sills, wheel arches, none so much here.

Buy when you arrive, it may cost more than you expect but the condition will probably be better.

Jenny

Thanks to everyone for their comments...I'm laughing at Jenny's....it must be quite different in the UK but 99% of Irish 4*4s have never ever gone offroad and I'd guess 90% plus never been out side of the city or motorways..I'll do a bit more digging around at see how it looks.

JohnJ Jul 1st 2010 7:22 am

An example of what I'm talking about...

2004 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 dsl €5950 which at todays rate is about AU$8500

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai...t?channel=CARS

Part of the reason they're so discounted here is that Irish road tax on large engines is very high- €1300/ $1900 per annum on a 2.9l engine and older cars are more expensive. Cars registered since 2008 are subject to a different tax based on Co2 emissions and tends for diesel to be about 40-50% of what it is for pre 2008 cars.

Average price of similar in WA seems to be about $18000

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?Qpb=true&keywords=&SearchAction=N&sid =1298EFD06FC7&Nne=15&Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCa r_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_ String|0&YearFromShort=1648&YearToShort=1678&N=834 +1216+1247+1282+1252+1246+4294965579+4294964903+90 4++1648+1678

Surely that's got to make some kind of economic sense, even allowing for duties, shipping and other costs- there are lots of Irish cars available with low mileage too. I take on board the neglible part exchange value while in Australia, but that doesn't worry me as I'd plan to drive it still it stops...:thumbup:

freebo Jul 1st 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by JohnJ (Post 8669668)
An example of what I'm talking about...

2004 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 dsl €5950 which at todays rate is about AU$8500

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai...t?channel=CARS

Part of the reason they're so discounted here is that Irish road tax on large engines is very high- €1300/ $1900 per annum on a 2.9l engine and older cars are more expensive. Cars registered since 2008 are subject to a different tax based on Co2 emissions and tends for diesel to be about 40-50% of what it is for pre 2008 cars.

Average price of similar in WA seems to be about $18000

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?Qpb=true&keywords=&SearchAction=N&sid =1298EFD06FC7&Nne=15&Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCa r_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_ String|0&YearFromShort=1648&YearToShort=1678&N=834 +1216+1247+1282+1252+1246+4294965579+4294964903+90 4++1648+1678

Surely that's got to make some kind of economic sense, even allowing for duties, shipping and other costs- there are lots of Irish cars available with low mileage too. I take on board the neglible part exchange value while in Australia, but that doesn't worry me as I'd plan to drive it still it stops...:thumbup:

You need to actually add up all the costs, shipping alone can be several thousand, then you pay import duty, cleaning fee, compliance check etc, etc, etc. If like the prev poster you can claim it against tax maybe.

The costs may surprise you.

fancy Jul 3rd 2010 5:29 pm

Hi JohnJ. We're in the same boat.....from Ireland, at the moment we have a Dec '06 Landrover Discovery. I know a lot of people say to sell it and buy another Landy out there but as you know jeeps arent worth a **** here at the moment so would loose a pile of money on it. We really think we'd loose more selling it here and buying another out there, than shipping it to oz. Love to hear more on it if you make any decisions!

All the best!

darrellandsarah Jul 4th 2010 12:44 am

the all up cost for me to bring my navara over and to get it onto the road came to just over $6000.i stood to loose over 10,000 pounds had i sold it in the uk.no brainer for me as it is an 06 model and plan to keep it till it dies.being a grey import i would struggle to sell it anyway.

man_called_Horse Jul 4th 2010 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by fancy (Post 8675467)
Hi JohnJ. We're in the same boat.....from Ireland, at the moment we have a Dec '06 Landrover Discovery. I know a lot of people say to sell it and buy another Landy out there but as you know jeeps arent worth a **** here at the moment so would loose a pile of money on it. We really think we'd loose more selling it here and buying another out there, than shipping it to oz. Love to hear more on it if you make any decisions!

All the best!

I would bring the Disco as they are worth a bit in Oz.

Personally I would leave the Hyundai.