Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading for Brisbane but dont like the heat

Heading for Brisbane but dont like the heat

Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Heading for Brisbane but dont like the heat

How long does it take to get used to the tropical heat of Brissy when you are a peely wally white scottish boy who has whiter legs than a tin of dulux brilliant white paint???
Bill
Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading for Brisbane but dont like the heat

If you don't like the heat and you have a choice, I would say go somewhere else. I'm married to a Queenslander, and haven't a lot of choice but to stay here. Believe me, if I could move further south I would!
It is slightly cooler during the winter, but this last winter was just the equivalent of a UK summer really. And its not just the heat - theres the humidity, or in winter, the total lack of humidity.
Good luck
Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

We have friends in Brisbane and Melbourne, and after a lot of consideration and thought we have plumped for Brissy.
My friend that stays in Brisbane moved there 13 years ago from the same town as i am just now, he is coming back for his first christmas in the Scotland for 13 years!! He was over 2 years ago and hates the cold badly and vows he would never come back, to live, in this cold forsaken place. so that has persuaded me to give the heat a chance.
Dare say it will take a wee while to get used too, but your only young once!!
Bill
Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:25 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
We have friends in Brisbane and Melbourne, and after a lot of consideration and thought we have plumped for Brissy.
My friend that stays in Brisbane moved there 13 years ago from the same town as i am just now, he is coming back for his first christmas in the Scotland for 13 years!! He was over 2 years ago and hates the cold badly and vows he would never come back, to live, in this cold forsaken place. so that has persuaded me to give the heat a chance.
Dare say it will take a wee while to get used too, but your only young once!!
Bill

I like the heat, but some times (Tuesday this week for example - 37C at 5pm!) I still find it too much. You will get used to it, but I think its probably the lack of cold you get used to quicker rather than the heat. By this I mean, you start to find that at 18C you're feeling cool, because for QLD this is cool!
30C is my comfortable maximum, after that I find it hard to adjust, more than the heat though, I find its the humidity that gets me. 35C at 60% humidity is nicer than 30C at 85% humidity thats for sure
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:13 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here just over 3 and a half years.

It took me a couple of years to get used to the everyday heat and to stop doing stupid Pommie things like starting to cut the grass in the yard at midday. I have developed the Aussie approach to sunshine and make sure I am protected when I am outside (though last weekend I burned a patch of the back of my hand while fishing - the sunscreen obviously got wiped off that bit).

As for the humidity - it gets pretty bad, but only really for a couple of months and even then not every day. It largely depends on what you are doing (either for work or play).

My typical workday at the moment is something like this:
get up
start to sweat
open a few windows (closed against the mozzies at night)
iron shirt
sweat some more
make coffee
start dripping sweat
have cool shower
feel refreshed
towel off
start to sweat from the work involved in using the towel
towel off again
dress
drink coffee
sweat a bit
get into car (parked in shade)
turn on aircon
drive to work in cool car
park (in shade)
walk to work (about 300m in shade)
sweat
get into office - aircon
sit in aircon (which brings the temp down to a bearable 23 deg C - yes that's right, the temperature at which, in England, we would be saying "I wish we had aircon - how much longer will this heatwave last?")
venture out of the office as little as possible
at the end of the day - walk to car
drive home with aircon on full
get in to see MrsD sitting in front of a fan and say "How was your day? I found it really hot" - then run away.

Seriously, it is not that bad. The worst thing for me is when I have to wear a shirt and tie (thankfully not too often) or walk to a customer site in town. At home is not too bad either - especially if you are not doing too much. Sitting on the verandah in the breeze is lovely. Unfortunately, we have just moved and have a lot of things to do (still moving some stuff and unpacking and tidying) and even when I have been fixing up our yard fence against the dog in the evenings (at about 6 - just before it starts to get dark) it has been uncomfortable.

Thankfully, as I said, this is only for three months at most - and there are periods in thet three months when it is less humid. The rest of the year is bloody marvellous.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

How long does it take to get used to the tropical heat of Brissy when you are a peely wally white scottish boy who has whiter legs than a tin of dulux brilliant white paint???
Bill
It can depend a lot on when you arrive.

When I first came over here, I left England in a foot of snow, and arrived in QLD, 24 hours later, in a heatwave.

I soon made tracks for the cooler climate of Sydney.

However...... After lots of investigation, I settled back up here, after finding that by picking the right area, it can actually be better here than in certain parts of Sydney. ie: West Sydney suburbs compared to Bayside breezy Brisbane.

A newly arrived person from "Aberdeen" will almost certainly want air-con for the few summer months, even in the Bayside, but the rest of the year is great.

We have our air-con set at 24C for overnight cooling, yep, a nice cool 24 And the thing that some people may find strange is that 24C actually feels cold, 22C feels icy

Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:41 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Bill
It really depends, I don't find it all that hot and humid. But I came to Brisbane from Singapore where I had been for about 5 years, and not from UK to Aus. Singapore is far more humid than Brisbane ( it's one of the most humid countries in the world).

My mum is really pale , and burns easily etc etc ( can't tan, she burns very easily so stays well out of the sun in the UK summer time ) . She was worried about visting us in Singapore.

She need not have worried - The weather did not bother her, the humidity did not bother her which surprised me. In fact when she went back to the Uk, she told me she missed the humidity.... odd

Now when mum-in-law came out to vist ( she loves sun and heat ) .. she did nothing but complain about the heat and the humitity in Singapore - and boy I mean complain! She hated the weather.And was very grumpy in it.

It depends on the person, you may be surprised and you will adapt quickly like my mum did in Singapore - the very last person who I thought that would adapt to the humidity. You may hate it too. who knows

My hubby hates the summers here in Brisbane ( also used to moan about the humidity in Sing too) I don't. He must take after his moaning mum for that one.

cheers
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi BIllnlinz

Is there a particular reason you are heading for Brissie? If you have the option, perhaps have a look at Melbourne. It's a lot cooler in the winters and it (generally) not humid in the summer.

The weather in Singapore is shocking :scared: - I was there for a week and hated every minute of it
Old Dec 17th 2004, 2:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
even when I have been fixing up our yard fence against the dog in the evenings (at about 6 - just before it starts to get dark) it has been uncomfortable.
Does it get dark that early all summer??
Old Dec 17th 2004, 2:43 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Think it manages to stay light till about 7-7.30 at the height of summer - not as good as down your way.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Regarding the heat

I am a Queenslander and the heat get's to me! Talking to my fellow banana benders we agree that it never used to be this hot?

Air-con makes the hottest days more bearable. With the number of homes which are popping up here that arent designed for the heat I'd say that a decent air-con is now mandatory. Luckily they have come down in price considerably (economies of scale)

If you aren't tied to a timetable try to aim to come here in winter that way it would seem like you are moving here in your summer.

Might I be as bold as to suggest that if you are looking for an area of brisbane to move to to look at the northside (of the river). Whenever there are floods, blackouts, hail (it gets to golf ball size here) damage.... it's always on the southside.

I hope it all works out for you
Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by GCS15
Regarding the heat

I am a Queenslander and the heat get's to me!
What part of Brisbane are you in ?

Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
Heres some historical data on sunset/sunrise for:
Brisbane Lat=-27°28'00" Long=+153°01'00"

01/07/2003 Rise 06:39 Set 17:05
01/08/2003 Rise 06:30 Set 17:19
01/09/2003 Rise 06:02 Set 17:34
01/10/2003 Rise 05:28 Set 17:48
01/11/2003 Rise 04:57 Set 18:06
01/12/2003 Rise 04:45 Set 18:29
01/01/2004 Rise 04:56 Set 18:46
01/02/2004 Rise 05:20 Set 18:43
01/03/2004 Rise 05:41 Set 18:20
01/04/2004 Rise 05:58 Set 17:46
01/05/2004 Rise 06:14 Set 17:17
01/06/2004 Rise 06:30 Set 17:01

Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What part of Brisbane are you in ?
Kedron. Been here since expo 88 less the two I spent in the UK. Born Townsville but father in the army so we moved every two years (fun fun fun).

IMHO the further south you go the worse things get. Then you reach NSW lol

Come on State of Origin. There is a score to settle.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:48 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by GCS15
Kedron.
Thats not you posting from the next desk is it........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.