Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is he able to go to college yet?

Is he able to go to college yet?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Is he able to go to college yet?

Eldest son will be 17 on 27/08/04 (also the day we anticipate flying)

Here he left school July 2003 and has just completed his first year at college.

After long discussions Tob has decided to do something `sporty` at college in Perth. (He is fantastic at ALL sports).
Problem is when we arrive, he SHOULD be in the last couple of months at school there. He is not too happy about returning to school. I also understand they will be on their `exam` timetable.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:10 pm
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in similar situation. Our eldest (17) has just completed 1st yr in College. On our recent visit to Perth we discussed with TAFE about him getting on a course there and it was no problem. They will assess the course he has just done and award points which can be added together with any TAFE qualifications to give ponts for University entrance. We have however agreed with the UK college a system for to him complete his second year on a distance learning basis ie just send the finished modules in. This means he can complete his UK course and do a part time TAFE course with a view to getting into UNI ASAP.

Hope this helps
Mart
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is he able to go to college yet?

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Eldest son will be 17 on 27/08/04 (also the day we anticipate flying)

Here he left school July 2003 and has just completed his first year at college.

After long discussions Tob has decided to do something `sporty` at college in Perth. (He is fantastic at ALL sports).
Problem is when we arrive, he SHOULD be in the last couple of months at school there. He is not too happy about returning to school. I also understand they will be on their `exam` timetable.

Any ideas?
Cheers
HI Sandra

I'm sure that as Toby has already legally finished school here there is no way they would try and force him back.

I also have a son who is 17 on the 25th August, I'm not even telling him he may have to go back to school LOL. He also has just finished his first year at college, studying outdoor pursuits, and has had a ball, he is supposed to be going back to college in September for another year but is deliberating whether to try and get transferred to Aus.

What has Toby been studying at college and what is he going to do in Aus and (last one) where are you heading???

Lindsey
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by MSB
We are in similar situation. Our eldest (17) has just completed 1st yr in College. On our recent visit to Perth we discussed with TAFE about him getting on a course there and it was no problem. They will assess the course he has just done and award points which can be added together with any TAFE qualifications to give ponts for University entrance. We have however agreed with the UK college a system for to him complete his second year on a distance learning basis ie just send the finished modules in. This means he can complete his UK course and do a part time TAFE course with a view to getting into UNI ASAP.

Hope this helps
Mart

Mart,

sorry I was replying to Sandra the same time as you and missed your post until now. Could you explain what TAFE is and if they do courses in outdoor pursuits or at least point me in the right direction where I could find out for myself.

Lindsey
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:27 pm
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lindsey.

TAFE is the OZ equivalent to a UK college. Usually its school - TAFE - then University depending on how good you are that is!

Most states have their own central TAFE website for example

www.tafensw.edu.au/

TAFE seem to offer courses in pretty much everything you could want. I would say however that the choice in some TAFE are limited to specific subject areas. My son studies multimedia and although this is heavilly focussed on at a lot of UK colleges, in Perth it is a very different story. The highest certificate in Multimedia is only availabe by studying in a TAFE an hour or so north of Perth!

This is why we have organised distance learning of his second year UK course as the points he will be awarded when he finishes will be enough for Oz UNI.

Mart
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MSB
Hi Lindsey.

TAFE is the OZ equivalent to a UK college. Usually its school - TAFE - then University depending on how good you are that is!

Most states have their own central TAFE website for example

www.tafensw.edu.au/
Actually, (here in NSW anyway) it's not a 3-stage process School/TAFE/Uni. Most kids here leave school at 18 and go to either TAFE OR Uni. TAFE is not a substitute for the last two years of school (Years 11/12), although they do offer a Year 11/12 type course for people who left school early (at 15/16) and want to return to finish their education - but people doing that course tend to be much older than the average school kid.

TAFE colleges are technical colleges which cater for post-school training in more practical careers. You can earn credits in some TAFE courses that may help you get into a Uni course, but most TAFE courses are non-academic for trades etc.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally posted by lindseyden
HI Sandra

I'm sure that as Toby has already legally finished school here there is no way they would try and force him back.

I also have a son who is 17 on the 25th August, I'm not even telling him he may have to go back to school LOL. He also has just finished his first year at college, studying outdoor pursuits, and has had a ball, he is supposed to be going back to college in September for another year but is deliberating whether to try and get transferred to Aus.

What has Toby been studying at college and what is he going to do in Aus and (last one) where are you heading???

Lindsey
Hi Lindsey,

we are heading for Perth. Looks like we could possibly be flying 27/08/04, pending visas turning up!!
Tob has completed a NVQ in Leisure and Tourism, and has already achieved a distinction before he even sat the end of year exams!! Not bad considering he failed nearly all his GCSE`s and had BIG problems at school.

Perhaps our kids could be mates!!!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sandra

Which TAFE have you been looking at for Toby? I've been trying to find something suitable for Jack studying outdoor pursuits, particularly with surf kayaking involved, as he is working with the world champion at the moment and is really loving that side of it. He would be happy to go to Aus straight away with us if I could show him some good courses to apply for. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Lindsey
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where abouts in Perth area are you hoping to go?

Jack had his tonsills out today so I've been at hospital with him all day. I'm picking him up tomorrow and will get him to PM you his e-mail address to give to Toby, (that is if he is home for more than 5 mins to sit him down in front of computer).

Lindsey