HDTV in Oz

Old May 7th 2006, 1:53 am
The Mad Axeman Returns

Andrew Nunn is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool HDTV in Oz

Has anyone got any experience of using HDTV in Oz. I know that conventional TV's require modification as the picture and sound signals are separate. Does the same thing apply to HDTV (plasma or LCD)? If you run a satelite system do the same rules apply?

I am debating whether to bring the HDTV as it will not be supported till 2008.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Andy
Old May 7th 2006, 2:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HDTV in Oz

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=15

Free digital tv has HDTV.

Forums here.

http://www.dtvforum.info/

Foxtel (Sky) will probably follow soon as HDTV on Sky is arriving shortly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4972376.stm

Hence, bring the TV. Buy a box when you get here.

Ian
Old May 7th 2006, 6:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to contact the manufacturer and ask whether the same HD standard applies in each country.

We had a Panasonic HD tuner when we lived in Sydney (actually, we had two - both gave a lot of trouble and we sent them both back but that's another story!) and there was a reasonable amount of HD transmission but here in the S Highlands there isn't that much so we haven't bothered. In any case the tuners are dropping in price all the time and we want to wait for a decent HD built-in to come in at a good price.
Old May 7th 2006, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

THE HD standard is definitely different in different countries. In fact I think Australia's standard is the worst and only slightly better than SD. Not worth the bother in my opinion
Old May 7th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teliko21
THE HD standard is definitely different in different countries. In fact I think Australia's standard is the worst and only slightly better than SD. Not worth the bother in my opinion
There are actually three different resolutions that the tv companies use here. Depends what you mean by standard, but both UK and Australia comply with DVB standards. HDTV is defined as 1080 active lines, 16 x 9 aspect ratio in ITU-R BT.709. 1080i is broadcast here as well as two other resolutions. You also need a display capable of displaying the higher resolution or you wont see any difference of course

Technically speaking the standards are the same for both UK and Aus, but they allow for different parameters and you are right there is a difference between UK and Aus. I saw an HD STB in Aldi the other day which could switch between the parameters used in UK and here, so some others may work too. Most new STB's can cope with either 2k or 8k carriers, but I am not sure how widespread it is for them to use 7MHz rf channels instead of 8 which most other countries use. The Aldi one was the first I have seen that could use both 7 and 8MHz, but it would work in both UK and Australia.
Old May 7th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by extrameant
There are actually three different resolutions that the tv companies use here. Depends what you mean by standard, but both UK and Australia comply with DVB standards. HDTV is defined as 1080 active lines, 16 x 9 aspect ratio in ITU-R BT.709. 1080i is broadcast here as well as two other resolutions. You also need a display capable of displaying the higher resolution or you wont see any difference of course

Technically speaking the standards are the same for both UK and Aus, but they allow for different parameters and you are right there is a difference between UK and Aus. I saw an HD STB in Aldi the other day which could switch between the parameters used in UK and here, so some others may work too. Most new STB's can cope with either 2k or 8k carriers, but I am not sure how widespread it is for them to use 7MHz rf channels instead of 8 which most other countries use. The Aldi one was the first I have seen that could use both 7 and 8MHz, but it would work in both UK and Australia.
Thanks for the explanation. I don't profess to be an expert in HDTV and my answer was based on an article I read in the Australian perhaps a week ago so it is nice to get a knowledgable answer rather than newspaper sensationalism
Old May 7th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Thanks for the explanation. I don't profess to be an expert in HDTV and my answer was based on an article I read in the Australian perhaps a week ago so it is nice to get a knowledgable answer rather than newspaper sensationalism
Ach, don't listen to me, I've not even got a job yet so I can't be that knowledgable. I did work in DTT transmission when it was all starting up, but Australia is quite advanced in DTV so I am a bit behind the times now.

Here's a bit out of a forum I read which I thought explained it all quite well. It was part of a reply Panasonic gave to a customer.
(FYI DVB-T is the standard used to transmit terrestrial digital television here and in Europe. SD stands for standard defnition, HD high def. Analogue Pal is the old fashioned telly we are all used to. Oh, and I think they also broadcast 720i, so that makes four HD formats, if I'm right)
-------------------
Currently Australia has two 50Hz frame rate terrestrial free-to-air broadcasting standards:

Analogue: PAL (Phase Alternating Line) B/G – 625 line system

Digital: DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial)

In the digital broadcasting domain, Australian TV broadcasters transmit an SD signal which, when decoded and output by a Set Top Box decoder, it’s video output format is 625line 50Hz PAL compliant. When referred to in a DTV or DVD environment such video formats may also be called as 576i. These video formats can be carried on different A/V connector types; SCART, Video (also known as CVBS or Composite), S-Video (also known as Super VHS video or Y/C) and component video (also known as YPbPr).

Optionally, some TV A/V inputs may also accept video with different standards/frame rates (ie 60Hz) compared to Australia to enable connection & viewing of overseas video material which otherwise would not be possible.

Australian HD DVB-T broadcasts may be in one of three 50Hz video formats: 576p, 720p or 1080i. Again, a HD Set Top Box decoder is required to receive, decode and output these 50Hz HD formats. Normally, HD Set Top Box decoders will decode all received formats (SD or HD) and convert them to a single 50Hz HD video format of say 1080i. Most HD Set Top Box decoders provide a user defined option that enables the user to select the output that best suits the viewers display device.
Old May 7th 2006, 10:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

And perhaps it should add that there are so many combinations of format settings on the display, STB and DVD player that hell will freeze over before anyone sorts it all out!

It's easy to get the impression that all Australians are short and fat if you watch the news on 16:9 when you can't get it right if that is indeed possible!)

Actually, all Australians are *tall* and fat...
Old May 7th 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wol
And perhaps it should add that there are so many combinations of format settings on the display, STB and DVD player that hell will freeze over before anyone sorts it all out!

It's easy to get the impression that all Australians are short and fat if you watch the news on 16:9 when you can't get it right if that is indeed possible!)

Actually, all Australians are *tall* and fat...
Ha ha, you're right. Of course when widescreen becomes the norm and you and me are still watching on a ten year old telly, then everyone will look tall and thin.