Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HD Ready Digital LCD TV

HD Ready Digital LCD TV

Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

debsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant future
Default HD Ready Digital LCD TV

Hi Guys

We recently bought the above and as it cost quite abit of money I would like to know if there is an adaptor or something you can buy so that they work in Oz please? As anybody else had a problem with them working over there please?

Kind regards

Debbie
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HD Ready Digital LCD TV

Originally Posted by debsnshaun
Hi Guys

We recently bought the above and as it cost quite abit of money I would like to know if there is an adaptor or something you can buy so that they work in Oz please? As anybody else had a problem with them working over there please?

Kind regards

Debbie
This is probably the most asked question on the forum. Basically picture works sound doesn't (different PAL version). Buy a DVD recorder, VCR, set top box and pass signal thru first and she'll be right.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:03 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys

Kind regards

Debbie
If your TV allows you to select PAL B/G in the options menu then all will be fine. You're using PAL 'I' now.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by worzel
This is probably the most asked question on the forum. Basically picture works sound doesn't (different PAL version). Buy a DVD recorder, VCR, set top box and pass signal thru first and she'll be right.
but also bear in mind that your tv may just work anyway
i know ours did with no external receiver, PAL changes or the likes
just plugged it in, went though the auto tune option and got pictures and sound straight off
we had a regular Philips tv about 5-6 years old now
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:19 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gedge
but also bear in mind that your tv may just work anyway
i know ours did with no external receiver, PAL changes or the likes
just plugged it in, went though the auto tune option and got pictures and sound straight off
we had a regular Philips tv about 5-6 years old now
Happy Birthday mate.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I also have a Philips TV - Normal (CRT) not LCD that is about 4 years old. It has digital terrestrial built in. Its too good to throw away, but could not see any option to switch PAL-B (UK) to PAL-G (Oz). Though it has some pretty advanced tuning features like VHF instead of UHF and SECAM.

Anyway, I e-mailed Philips technical support through their website - not expecting to hear anything back.

Within 24 hours I had a detailed reply from one of their engineers confirming that it will simply work out for itself that it is receiving PAL-G and will sort itself out.

BTW 15th Septemebr is my target date for arrival in Oz. 457 application in, offer on UK house...looking good.

Great !
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but I've been looking at these TVs recently and doing some research. I would say that they are cheaper here than in the UK. I'm edging towards the new 46" Sharp Aquos panel. Very nice it is too.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I'm looking at getting a projector as we'll probably be moving around a few times before we settle and this is much easier to lug round than a huge TV.
Found a reasonable Benq projector for $1k.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
If your TV allows you to select PAL B/G in the options menu then all will be fine. You're using PAL 'I' now.
Our relatively old Toshiba CRT allows this and our new Toshiba LCD also allows this. It makes sense really as it not only benefits the consumer but the manafacturer also as they make one TV for the world market.

Also, even if it does not you can buy a set-top freeview box and get all of the terrestial channels in digital and HD also by passing the signal directly into the TV via the box. Foxtel will also allow the sound to be audible on your system and it's only really bog-standard analogue received through a standard aerial which will give rise to the original problem.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:26 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Our relatively old Toshiba CRT allows this and our new Toshiba LCD also allows this. It makes sense really as it not only benefits the consumer but the manafacturer also as they make one TV for the world market.
It seems to be down to luck with that. We brought a 400GBP widescreen Sharp which wouldn't do it. But a 50GPB Pacific portable from Asda would get 2 of the 5 channels (one band) because it was designed to work all over Northern Europe.

If you are not sure, try emailing the manufacturer. Sharp did at least confirm it to me, even if they were almost rude about it.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi Guys

Kind regards

Debbie
We brought all our TV's with us. They worked with a set top box. But we also bought 2 new Plasmas here. So i now have 6 TV's.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:31 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We brought all our TV's with us. They worked with a set top box. But we also bought 2 new Plasmas here. So i now have 6 TV's.
Hmmm....Carbon Footprint........
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hmmm....Carbon Footprint........

We couldn't resist the Plasmas over here, what with the theatre rooms. Our UK tv's just didn't do the job, you know what i mean
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:01 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Slightly off topic but I've been looking at these TVs recently and doing some research. I would say that they are cheaper here than in the UK. I'm edging towards the new 46" Sharp Aquos panel. Very nice it is too.

No.. No.. No..if your going for 46" you should really be buying a plasma. Although the Sharp Aquos range is excellent ( i have a 26" in the dining room ) anything above 36" needs to be plasma...Honest
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
No.. No.. No..if your going for 46" you should really be buying a plasma. Although the Sharp Aquos range is excellent ( i have a 26" in the dining room ) anything above 36" needs to be plasma...Honest
Ah, the Plasma v LCD debate! I've looked at this and think that the very, very latest LCDs up to 46" (Sharp and Sony) are better than Plasma. Over 46" Plasma rules. The 52" Sharp and Sony are not so great. Next year this will be a different story though......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.