Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hayfever in Victoria??

Hayfever in Victoria??

Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Default Hayfever in Victoria??

I get hayfever around June in UK - Will i still suffer in Australia - I have never had it when i have been on hols to Aus but wonder if i will get it ??

Any fellow summer snivellers???????
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hayfever in Victoria??

I get hayfever every year and I also have asthma,,, when we went for our medicals the doctor told me I would probably be able to throw my inhalers away when we get to Aus , I guess that means the air must be loads better
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I get hayfever every year and I also have asthma,,, when we went for our medicals the doctor told me I would probably be able to throw my inhalers away when we get to Aus , I guess that means the air must be loads better
Not true

Many people suffer worse in Australia.

It all depends on what you are allergic to.

this has been covered many times on here...try doing a search.

G
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops,,,sorry, just saying what the doctor said
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
Ooops,,,sorry, just saying what the doctor said
I am sure... but don't take it for granted. Many people find things a lot worse.

I believe Australia has some of the highest childhood asthma rates in the world.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

G
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:45 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeebean
I get hayfever around June in UK - Will i still suffer in Australia - I have never had it when i have been on hols to Aus but wonder if i will get it ??

I've been in Victoria for about 4 years and still get hayfever. It's worst around October time. I used to do farm work and it affected me terribly around that time of year. I don't do that sort of work any more and I'm not affected as badly but still take antihistimines during hayfever season.

NJJ
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally Posted by coffeebean

Yes, sorry to say I get hayfever. We arrived in Melbourne in Feb & I have had it here too at about the same level.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My hub gets terrible hayfever here in the Mountains and has done since he was a child.

The only benefit is that he finds the Australian hayfever season shorter here. His big thing is grass pollen - the UK does that so much better than Aus.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here in October and 2 of the children were put onto inhalers for pollen related asthma and our eldest had to take hayfever medication. My children have problems with tree pollen and it is a big thing here with over half of the children in the school suffering to some extent during the worst of the season. It was really bad through the spring and had cleared completely by Feb but we are waiting for the next season to start.
I hope that you are better off than us but this area is ledgendary for causing asthma problems. I have told my MIL to come in Autumn as she is a severe asthmatic and I would be terrified of her reaction to the pollens here.
Nicky
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:16 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

If you can get a doctor to give you a Kenalog injection (steroid) your hayfever will be over for a period of 6-8 weeks.
24 hours later it's as if you've never suffered from hayfever.

As with all drugs it has possible side effects.

Rich
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:04 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is really old school - one cure that has worked for a lot of people is to eat local honey. The honey has to be brought from a farmers market and it has to be locally produced. It won't do you any good if you buy it from the local supermarket as the pollen will be from 1000s of miles away. It will sensitise your immune system and your allergic cells in your blood so that when you do breathe in the pollen, you won't get hayfever. The hardest part is finding the honey.
Worth a try if the drugs don't work.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Sass73
Now this is really old school - one cure that has worked for a lot of people is to eat local honey. The honey has to be brought from a farmers market and it has to be locally produced. It won't do you any good if you buy it from the local supermarket as the pollen will be from 1000s of miles away. It will sensitise your immune system and your allergic cells in your blood so that when you do breathe in the pollen, you won't get hayfever. The hardest part is finding the honey.
Worth a try if the drugs don't work.
Mate, as a kid me mum tried this for me. Old wives tale.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:18 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Works for some people but not others. The others are to try is cutting out processed sugar and cheese but that is just going too far

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Mate, as a kid me mum tried this for me. Old wives tale.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:18 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

DONT BREATH= hayfever cured
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by sassenach
DONT BREATH= hayfever cured
Just drink loads of beer, job done, drunken stupor, hayfever forgotten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.