hay fever

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hay fever

my husband and son suffer terribly in uk with hay fever. it usually starts around april/may and ends around august. Does any one already residing in oz suffer from hay fever feel it is any better or worse? we are aiming ffor Perth.

cheers
ellen
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will probably find it worse to begin with due to different pollens you won't be used to. I don't suffer from hayfever in the UK but I do here!

Should settle down though, at least mine has! I also got more colds the first winter I was here, must be illergic to southern hemisphere bugs
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:47 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hayfever is a funny thing...

I get it pretty bad here in the UK....runny nose, itchy eyes and throat.

However....i was in oz for 8 months, spring summer and a bit of autumn, and did'nt get it once. Not even a hint. That was SA, Vic, NSW and QLD. Did'nt manage to get to WA/NT/Tz on that trip.

I've never had it in southern europe either, nor in scandanavia. Only place i seem to get it is the UK, and places like france holland, and belgium etc.

Grass seems to be the thing that my body does'nt agree with...but i don't really get why i did'nt get it in oz as there is long grass everywhere!

Cheers
Pete.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:53 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sufffer quite badly here in the UK but I spent a year in Sydney back in 2000 and didn't notice any symptoms at all.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hay fever

Originally posted by ellen1
my husband and son suffer terribly in uk with hay fever. it usually starts around april/may and ends around august. Does any one already residing in oz suffer from hay fever feel it is any better or worse? we are aiming ffor Perth.

cheers
ellen
Hi Ellen,

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. You might want to do a search on 'hayfever'

Heather
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HeatherS
Hi Ellen,

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. You might want to do a search on 'hayfever'

Heather
thanks heather
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:30 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We suffer badly in the uk but when in Melbourne in Dec 2001 we really suffered with Hayfever. Not sure about Perth though. They do sell the same antihistamines over the counter there so was not too much of a problem to get treatment

Jo
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ellen1

cheers
ellen
Depends where you're going to - it's lower in the cities than countryside.

The pollen count can get pretty high around spring & summer (Nov-Feb) especially in Adelaide and Melbourne. It's not as bad in Perth, Sydney and Brisbane - no idea about the other cities. Obviously if aim to live outside the cities you'll have higher levels of pollen, etc.

MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I suffer from an allergy to grass pollen, but even though I've spent several months in Brisbane on and off, the only time I sneeze is when there is a long dry spell, then heavy rain - cos all the grass leaps back into life I guess! Its only happened once, the rest of the time no problems at all, even when in more rural areas.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ellen,
I agree, a lot of the things that are available in the Uk are also available in Oz.
I spent the first 10 days of our holiday in the chemist with one thing or another. Started with a tickly throat the night before we left UK and by the time we got to Perth both my daughter and myself were coughing like we had been on 60 fags a day.
Bought a brilliant cough medicine. Think it was made from roos urine (only joking) as it tasted awful, but it soon got us fit to enjoy the rest of our holiday.
I was very surprised at how much stuff in the shops are the same as Oz, but since coming back, find that a lot of the names I have known for years, are actually an Australian product, but never noticed before.

Sue