Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:53 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Originally Posted by soapy
well u should have just shut your eyes at the good bits

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I gave you karma to put it away..
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Worzel

I have this dilemna every day.

I live in a lovely part of the world (Derbyshire on the edge of the Peak district).

Work 18 hours a week (officially retired in mid 50's).

See none of the problems which are (apparently) all around me.

Have an easy drive to work through beautiful scenery.

have no money worries etc.etc.etc.

We are moving because of family reasons (my son is an Australian citizen) and because we can.

We will have no financial worries in Australia and can live very much where we like.

I am still not sure.

If we were 20 years younger it would have been different. But we are not.

The jury is still out..... although we have had the visa for over a year we have still not left the UK.

G
Why can't you make a conscious decision to 'live' in both countries ?

Seriously, I would love to be able to afford to do that. Except I would probably choose Spain, rather than England, and visit England a lot.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I gave you karma to put it away..
done !!!! took a while though
thanx for the karma
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the Thread, I would strongly advise anyone, never to leave a place where they are perfectly happy.

The grass is never greener in another place, just a different shade.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Back to the Thread, I would strongly advise anyone, never to leave a place where they are perfectly happy.

The grass is never greener in another place, just a different shade.

Nothing wrong with a different shade, so longs you dont constantly compare it to the original colour you were use to. Its not the same, its not meant to be the same, if you come here just expecting 'the UK in the sun' you will be disappointed.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:16 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Folk-wisdom from my grandmother:
"The grass on the other side of the fence always looks greener. But when you've jumped the fence, you'll find it's full of nettles, just like this!"
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:54 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

I was thinking this over the weekend as I played footie with my lad in the garden of our (large, cheap, overlooking the fields) rental house.
We then had a nice trip out on Monday (my birthday) to a local reservoir and walked round it as a family.

After this I had the last two days booked as holidays , one of which was to be a trip out paid for by the in-laws. The mother in law's feeling rough so this was put on ice yesterday, and the weather was so manky I managed only a brief game of footie with the kids in the garden.

Today it's raining again so we decided it was best for me to come to work instead and transfer the holiday to Friday instead.
The forecast for Friday is naff.
I was to do my last car boot sale on Sunday, but the forecast is bad for Sunday too.

My mum stayed over the weekend (the last time she'll see the kids before Oz) and yet again the fact that she and my wife don't hit it off was reinforced. (I ended up taking mum home early).

In addition we couldn't afford to buy the house that we're in, and it's only available to rent short-term.

Our weekends mostly consist of the wife going shopping with two kids and me looking after three at home, because the only cheap weekends we could have away would be camping, and the weather's not up to it for 75% of the year.

In short, part of the reason for Oz is that it will force us to break the routine, and concentrate on more outdoor things which we can do together as a family. Otherwise the current routine would have continued week after week, year after year.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules
We've just booked to go to Valencia on Saturday, went to Naples a few months ago, am going to miss going off to Europe on cheap flights when we go to Perth in August

Jules
You'll make up for it in Perth. The trip to Rotto and back for a weekend is about as much as going to Dublin return for the weekend.

As a bonus you get to play Quokka Soccer. Now that's something you cant do in downtown Malaga on a Saturday night
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:31 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Since we decided to emigrate in October last year we have been squeezing so much in to our last few months in the UK I am not sure I am going to want to leave.

We have just got back from a fantastic weekend doing the sights in London (though it may be ruined when I get the credit card bill ). The weekend before we did the Sandown meet. I just bought Sam and me tickets to the V Festival in August and Sam bought me some laps in a single-seater racing car for my birthday (ok - I dropped loads of hints). We do something nearly every week at the moment and I am sure that will continue until we emigrate.

I think besides all the "last chance to..." stuff I think the fact that we are being brave enough to move our whole lives to the other side of the world has given us confidence to do things we wouldn't have dared do otherwise.

Has anyone else reacted like this?
I have lived in Australia for over a decade. I spent sometime in UK in late 80's.
Other than this, I have always resided in New Zealand. I have read a lot, experienced a fair bit, and can't wait to finish my degree and head over to the UK. But that's me. Some travel to OZ and find it is just what they have looked for, others not.

It's all a roll of the dice, but sometimes having a bit of a getaway refreshes you and makes you feel alive without having to travel the world.

My advice? If you can: See if you can get a year (preferably 2, so you can get OZ citizenship incase you want to return to live there later) off work, rent your home (if you own it) and get open dated return air tickets ( can cancel them and get refund later if you buy right.

Australia is different; but it's not some paradise.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:18 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by kiwichild
My advice? If you can: See if you can get a year (preferably 2, so you can get OZ citizenship incase you want to return to live there later) off work, rent your home (if you own it) and get open dated return air tickets ( can cancel them and get refund later if you buy right.

Australia is different; but it's not some paradise.
Excellent advice, lets see if I can get ya some Karma.

M

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:46 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I do miss things like cheap flights to Europe, so many places right on your doorstep
Totally agree. We`re really gonna miss all those lovely pot-luck ryannair flights around Europe.... have taken us to places we`d never heard of before (like Carcassonne). Just came back from 4 days in the depths of the Dordogne Valley in France.... amazing place/people.
Can`t compare things like that with a trip to Albany in W.A.
Oh well, we`re going back to Perth for the future of our kids.... and the fact we can`t afford a house in the UK anymore.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Stop putting the inevitable off, just get out there and go for OZ, like we are going to big style!!

We have never been so well off, living in Aberdeen as we do, but we are still young and want to see the other side of the fence wether its green, blue or tartan coloured.

Because we can!!! and because we are going to.

Whinging Poms, you are unbelieveable!!!

Bill
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:59 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Stormz
Totally agree. We`re really gonna miss all those lovely pot-luck ryannair flights around Europe.... have taken us to places we`d never heard of before (like Carcassonne). Just came back from 4 days in the depths of the Dordogne Valley in France.... amazing place/people.
Can`t compare things like that with a trip to Albany in W.A.
Oh well, we`re going back to Perth for the future of our kids.... and the fact we can`t afford a house in the UK anymore.
Why don't you immigrate to France instead of Perth then.

Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:31 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
Would love to emigrate to France, except the grandparents etc aren`t there, they`re in Perth.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wombat42
Wombat, Normally i can see where you are coming from, with your retorts and criticism's of peoples posts. This time you are just showing plain ignorance.

Why do you think Paul Keating, and many others have said that Australia is stuck at the arse end of the world ?

Unfortunately for us it is, and you with this answer have just proven you are too dumb to realise that.

Thats nothing against Australia just it's location.

To use an Australanism back right at yah

'YOU IDIOT'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.