Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Since we decided to emigrate in October last year we have been squeezing so much in to our last few months in the UK I am not sure I am going to want to leave.

We have just got back from a fantastic weekend doing the sights in London (though it may be ruined when I get the credit card bill ). The weekend before we did the Sandown meet. I just bought Sam and me tickets to the V Festival in August and Sam bought me some laps in a single-seater racing car for my birthday (ok - I dropped loads of hints). We do something nearly every week at the moment and I am sure that will continue until we emigrate.

I think besides all the "last chance to..." stuff I think the fact that we are being brave enough to move our whole lives to the other side of the world has given us confidence to do things we wouldn't have dared do otherwise.

Has anyone else reacted like this?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Having such a good time in the UK may not want to go to Aus anymore

Hi mate, Claire and I also went on a jolly to London (the weekend of Sandown), we went to meet you guys on the way back from London to Neath. Had a great time. WIsh someone had told me about the Congestion charge...we saw the signs when we drove in saying Were now in the Zone, but we thought (stupid i know) that we would receive a bill for 5 pounds...imgaine my horror when last week i got a bill for 50 pounds, because we didnt pay it in London when we were there nobody told us, im not a Londonite, so how would I know!! complained but they could care less!!
Anyway, yes ive got loads planned this yr before we go to OZ, im going to get a tatoo :scared: , im going on an 18-30 holiday in the summer (yes im 37), i went on a rollercoaster and a very high water ride at Oakwood at the weekend (i dont do rides), so im living life on the edge so yes im with you on that one. Good luck, and thanks for some sound advice at the sandown meet. Tara Tony and Claire
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

i know where you are coming from. we are miles off yet, a good 12/18 months but already i am ensuring that we do all kinds of things so that we don't regret it in the future.

did the whole tourist thing in london, you are right, cost a packet!! - but was great. there are places i want to go in europe for weekend breaks too, as i am conscious that we will not be able to if/when we go, and you can bet the minute that i can't do it, i will want to : )
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
Since we decided to emigrate in October last year we have been squeezing so much in to our last few months in the UK I am not sure I am going to want to leave.

We have just got back from a fantastic weekend doing the sights in London (though it may be ruined when I get the credit card bill ). The weekend before we did the Sandown meet. I just bought Sam and me tickets to the V Festival in August and Sam bought me some laps in a single-seater racing car for my birthday (ok - I dropped loads of hints). We do something nearly every week at the moment and I am sure that will continue until we emigrate.

I think besides all the "last chance to..." stuff I think the fact that we are being brave enough to move our whole lives to the other side of the world has given us confidence to do things we wouldn't have dared do otherwise.

we have had some really fab weather in torquay and i have been out and about with our girls seeing all the beautiful countryside and beaches in devon and it does make you think twice doesnt it!!???

sending you some karma mate cos you deserve it - great thread!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

We've just booked to go to Valencia on Saturday, went to Naples a few months ago, am going to miss going off to Europe on cheap flights when we go to Perth in August

Jules
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:44 am
Merlot

Great stories, nice to hear those out there living life to the max.

Long may it reign!!!!

M

Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Worzel

I have this dilemna every day.

I live in a lovely part of the world (Derbyshire on the edge of the Peak district).

Work 18 hours a week (officially retired in mid 50's).

See none of the problems which are (apparently) all around me.

Have an easy drive to work through beautiful scenery.

have no money worries etc.etc.etc.

We are moving because of family reasons (my son is an Australian citizen) and because we can.

We will have no financial worries in Australia and can live very much where we like.

I am still not sure.

If we were 20 years younger it would have been different. But we are not.

The jury is still out..... although we have had the visa for over a year we have still not left the UK.

G
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:40 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot
Great stories, nice to hear those out there living life to the max.

Long may it reign!!!!

M

For sure. I love my life over here, and am enjoying more and more each day BUT (theres always a but hey ) I do miss things like cheap flights to Europe, so many places right on your doorstep (there's plenty to do here, but in the UK a 3 hour drive took me to Wales, London, Carlise etc), cooler weather, big cities etc etc... enjoy it while you can, then when you get here, you might miss it, but at least you won't regret missing out on it all together

Last edited by mlbonner; Mar 29th 2005 at 7:59 am. Reason: made no sense!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:46 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Worzel,
I planon buying a national trust family pass when the wife returns from visiting her family in europe in 2 1/2 months time. I plan on making each weekend an experience, hopefully a good one

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:32 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Rooksie
we have had some really fab weather in torquay and i have been out and about with our girls seeing all the beautiful countryside and beaches in devon and it does make you think twice doesnt it!!???

sending you some karma mate cos you deserve it - great thread!!
Theres also great weather, beautiful countryside and great beaches in OZ,
for example where l went on holiday recently along the great Ocean road along the west coast of Victoria, Anglesea to Port Fairy, Spectacular coastline, nice green countryside, rolling hills, forests , Miles of great unpsoilt surf beaches.

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:04 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by mlbonner
For sure. I love my life over here, and am enjoying more and more each day BUT (theres always a but hey ) I do miss things like cheap flights to Europe, so many places right on your doorstep (there's plenty to do here, but in the UK a 3 hour drive took me to Wales, London, Carlise etc), cooler weather, big cities etc etc... enjoy it while you can, then when you get here, you might miss it, but at least you won't regret missing out on it all together
So agree, I have discovered in life that enjoy what is around you at the time and try not to think about what was or what could be.

Taken me a while to get to this thinking, but each day I become happier with my lot.

M

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I know how u feel.
Our last year in the uk was probably the best year ever. We had never been so well off financially. We really had to bite the bullet and decide. Then one morning I got up for work, went to into the car and the locks were frozen. So I had to get the Willie oot and piss in the lock again. Then the Willie vanished and didn’t come back till I was nearly at work Anyway I got to work and got a phone call about a friend I had grown up with had died (drugs related) his kids were the same age as ours. That sealed it. We wanted our kids out of there. I could have moved them to another part of the uk but I would still have had to piss on the motor.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:34 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh god yes, and will probably be paying for it till we sell our house.
We fitted in loads of stuff last year that we knew we wouldnt be able to do when we were in Oz. This is going to scare me now actually seeing it in writing.
1; April, flew to Newcastle with son and his best mate and my nephew to see WWE Wrestling.
2: May, 1 week in Venice with hubby and kids.
3: June, 1 week in Spain with 5 best girly mates.
4: August, 2 weeks in LA and Las Vegas (flew 1st class BA there and back, something we never ever dreamed of doing but was a perk of my husbands job with BA and was a total surprise on check in) totally ruined my kids as they moaned when we flew at the back to OZ in January this year.
5: September, 1 week in Spain with my mum and sister
6: October,4 days in Spain with hubby and 3 best couple mates.
7: Husband took Brother-in-law to Australia, main reason was to show him how wonderful it was and hopefully talk him into coming with us.

God that is scarey, seeing it in writing reminds me why I am still paying off last years credit card bill. I just felt like I had to fit so much in and spread myself around. I regret it a bit now as it could make the difference between an in ground pool and a paddling pool when we get to Oz Oh well it was a brilliant year and one that we will never be able to repeat.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:45 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by soapy
I know how u feel.
Our last year in the uk was probably the best year ever. We had never been so well off financially. We really had to bite the bullet and decide. Then one morning I got up for work, went to into the car and the locks were frozen. So I had to get the Willie oot and piss in the lock again. Then the Willie vanished and didn’t come back till I was nearly at work Anyway I got to work and got a phone call about a friend I had grown up with had died (drugs related) his kids were the same age as ours. That sealed it. We wanted our kids out of there. I could have moved them to another part of the uk but I would still have had to piss on the motor.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, waaaaaaaaay to much info there for me
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:47 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, waaaaaaaaay to much info there for me
well u should have just shut your eyes at the good bits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.