Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

having second thoughts - getting work in Oz

having second thoughts - getting work in Oz

Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of
Default having second thoughts - getting work in Oz

Hi All,
we are currently waiting for my wife's (Nursing) skills assessment to come back so that we can lodge our visa application (136 - skilled independent). We have had our hearts set on moving to Melbourne.
I have been reading some fairly negative posts regarding employment prospects once we are over there. My wife is the main applicant for the visa and we will only make the move once she has secured a job.
I am getting increasingly worried about my chances of getting work once in Oz.I am a telecoms engineer and have 20+ years experience but have no work related qualifications. I won't be too bothered if I can't find a job in telecoms straight away and will give anything a go.
Am I worrying unduly? We don't have pots of money to take with us and don't want to struggle to make ends meet on one wage.
I expected to have moments of doubt, but not quite so soon :-(

Has anyone got any positive job tales to cheer me up!!!

Cheers, Loz
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: having second thoughts - getting work in Oz

Originally Posted by Loz4Oz
Hi All,
we are currently waiting for my wife's (Nursing) skills assessment to come back so that we can lodge our visa application (136 - skilled independent). We have had our hearts set on moving to Melbourne.
I have been reading some fairly negative posts regarding employment prospects once we are over there. My wife is the main applicant for the visa and we will only make the move once she has secured a job.
I am getting increasingly worried about my chances of getting work once in Oz.I am a telecoms engineer and have 20+ years experience but have no work related qualifications. I won't be too bothered if I can't find a job in telecoms straight away and will give anything a go.
Am I worrying unduly? We don't have pots of money to take with us and don't want to struggle to make ends meet on one wage.
I expected to have moments of doubt, but not quite so soon :-(

Has anyone got any positive job tales to cheer me up!!!

Cheers, Loz

i'm not worried about getting work.(welder) however i am worried about making enough. my wife will be working too but we want to have kids and i have my doubts that the likely 50-60000 i will earn will cut it. had enough of the uk though. not saying oz will be a utopia but am willing to give it a shot. good luck to you mate!!!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of
Default Re: having second thoughts - getting work in Oz

Originally Posted by kporte
i'm not worried about getting work.(welder) however i am worried about making enough. my wife will be working too but we want to have kids and i have my doubts that the likely 50-60000 i will earn will cut it. had enough of the uk though. not saying oz will be a utopia but am willing to give it a shot. good luck to you mate!!!
Thanks kporte.
I don't know whether it's just the fear of the unknown that's bothering me but it is a huge step to take.
We're not expecting a land of milk and honey. But we don't want to be living hand to mouth either.

Hope it works out for you, Loz
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:45 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

The unemployment rate in OZ is at record lows at the moment, one of the lowest in the world, alot lower then most European countries like france and germany. Theres lots of jobs available in mELbourne look at the jobsearch site
click VIC then Melbourne
www.jobsearch.gov.au
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:46 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks kporte.
I don't know whether it's just the fear of the unknown that's bothering me but it is a huge step to take.
We're not expecting a land of milk and honey. But we don't want to be living hand to mouth either.

Hope it works out for you, Loz

Hi Loz,

Have a look in the job websites, that will give you an idea of what sort of jobs are on offer in melbourne, try www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au, www.theage.com.au
im sure you'll find something that will suit you, its normal to have second thoughts, Good luck on whatever you decide

Fee
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks folks, I will take a good look at those links in the morning.

Thanks again, Loz.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:29 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Thanks folks, I will take a good look at those links in the morning.

Thanks again, Loz.
Hi Loz,

You'll be fine as a Telecoms Engineer in Melbourne. I see a fair few jobs in that area when I'm searching for jobs. With the new networks that Telstra are rolling out later this year there should be even more positions available.

Now, if I could only find a job in brisbane for a project manager with mobile internet experience
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
Hi Loz,

You'll be fine as a Telecoms Engineer in Melbourne. I see a fair few jobs in that area when I'm searching for jobs. With the new networks that Telstra are rolling out later this year there should be even more positions available.

Now, if I could only find a job in brisbane for a project manager with mobile internet experience
Cheers Budgie,
managed a half decent night's sleep so am feeling a little more positive this morning.
I think I'll get my cv updated and tailored to the Oz job market and send it out to a few agencies a see what happens.

Thanks again folks, Loz
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: having second thoughts - getting work in Oz

Originally Posted by Budgie
Hi Loz,

Your location says Sydney? Are you in Sydney, and working, wanting to move to Brisbane, or in Brisbane already? Just interested....

Buzzy