Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having problems getting an Oz visa?

Having problems getting an Oz visa?

Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having problems getting an Oz visa?

Just heard on Sky news, that Maxine Carr (yup, that bitch from the Soham tragedy) is about to leave prison.

One of the options offered to her was to be resettled in Queensland, at a cost of £15 million to the UK taxpayer.

And the Australian High Commission agreed to take her - no visa application required.

However, she declined it, on the grounds she would miss her mother too much.

Well, that's OK then................

Last edited by MikeStanton; Apr 24th 2004 at 6:35 am.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:09 pm
come on you reds!!!!!

eilish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Having problems getting an Oz visa?

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Just heard on Sky news, that Maxine Carr (yup, that bitch from the Soham tragedy) is about to leave prison.

One of the options offered to her was to be resettled in Queensland, at a cost of £15 million to the UK taxpayer.

And the Australian High Commission agreed to take her - no visa application required.

and here's us struggling with visa applications.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

BITCH
Old Apr 26th 2004, 12:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that Jamie Bulger's killers are here. It's been denied, of course, but it shows that there is some sort of, probably reciprocal, arrangement between the UK and Aus to resettle people needing new identities.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:56 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on a minute. Whilst I don't condone what she or Ian Huntley did - of course I don't - she didn't actually commit that big a crime. So there's an argument that she was in on it, but I still maintain that she didn't know exactly what was going on when she lied for the controlling, manipulative, dangerous man she had the misfortune to love.

Her life is ruined and she stands a strong chance of being finished off herself (especially in this part of the world, the fenland areas being what they are). She has to be given something of a chance and she simply won't get that here.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bundy
Hang on a minute. Whilst I don't condone what she or Ian Huntley did - of course I don't - she didn't actually commit that big a crime. So there's an argument that she was in on it, but I still maintain that she didn't know exactly what was going on when she lied for the controlling, manipulative, dangerous man she had the misfortune to love.

Her life is ruined and she stands a strong chance of being finished off herself (especially in this part of the world, the fenland areas being what they are). She has to be given something of a chance and she simply won't get that here.
The gov and some people are TOO concerned with the perpetrators of crime. I say let them take their chances and spend more money on the VICTIMS.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
The gov and some people are TOO concerned with the perpetrators of crime. I say let them take their chances and spend more money on the VICTIMS.

But if we get into a reprisals trap where whoever comes along to finish Maxine Carr off or whatever becomes a crime statistic themselves, so more tax payers money on their trial, conviction, etc etc....
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

But if we get into a reprisals trap where whoever comes along to finish Maxine Carr off or whatever becomes a crime statistic themselves, so more tax payers money on their trial, conviction, etc etc....
If criminals learn that the consequences of their actions might be terminal I belive we would have less crime, so stuff giving her 15M quid to relocate that would just encourage more people to do it.

So let Maxine Carr (don't even know whats she's done as never heard of her) take her chances and spend the money on her victims and families. I sure a lot of them would love to come to Oz at a far lower cost than 15M, so GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:47 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
If criminals learn that the consequences of their actions might be terminal I belive we would have less crime, so stuff giving her 15M quid to relocate that would just encourage more people to do it.

So let Maxine Carr (don't even know whats she's done as never heard of her) take her chances and spend the money on her victims and families. I sure a lot of them would love to come to Oz at a far lower cost than 15M, so GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT.
Then perhaps it would be wise to reserve judgment until you know a little bit more about the situation.

I agree that it's not the best solution and I certainly agree that the money would be better spent on the victims and their families. But I don't agree that you can let someone like Maxine Carr out with no thought as to what will happen next. But then you wouldn't know about that since you don't know the whole story
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Then perhaps it would be wise to reserve judgment until you know a little bit more about the situation.

I agree that it's not the best solution and I certainly agree that the money would be better spent on the victims and their families. But I don't agree that you can let someone like Maxine Carr out with no thought as to what will happen next. But then you wouldn't know about that since you don't know the whole story
I think you may be right Bundy. Unfortunately this whole case and this present debate has been fuelled by the tabloid media.
I tend to take what they say with a pinch of salt.
As far as I know there is a longstanding arrangement between the UK and some other countries for relocation of some time served criminals and some crime witnesses when it is considered in the interests of all concerned.
we just don't hear about most cases.

G
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:00 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Grayling
I think you may be right Bundy. Unfortunately this whole case and this present debate has been fuelled by the tabloid media.
I tend to take what they say with a pinch of salt.
As far as I know there is a longstanding arrangement between the UK and some other countries for relocation of some time served criminals and some crime witnesses when it is considered in the interests of all concerned.
we just don't hear about most cases.

G
WHich is the point of the whole thing, I suppose - wouldn't be much point in sending them afar if everyone knew where they were going.

And there was that case of a paedophile originally from Oz sent here where he reoffended.

But Maxine Carr is a different case - the crime she committed was relatively minor, whatever the implications of that crime. It's the press that have whipped up the current frenzy.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

WHich is the point of the whole thing, I suppose - wouldn't be much point in sending them afar if everyone knew where they were going.

And there was that case of a paedophile originally from Oz sent here where he reoffended.

But Maxine Carr is a different case - the crime she committed was relatively minor, whatever the implications of that crime. It's the press that have whipped up the current frenzy.

You dont happen to be related to her do you???????

Mark
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:12 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Gold Coasters
You dont happen to be related to her do you???????

Mark

Noooooooooo

Although I live in Cambridgeshire, have relatives living in Soham, and have seen a bit more of the non-tabloid version of the story. I think she has real problems, and life is only going to get worse for her - I think she just got herself into something she couldn;t get out of and whilst I regard what Ian Huntley did as dispicable and downright disgusting, Maxine Carr did not commit murder. All she did was lie to protect someone she loved, but was also scared of.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

She would be well recognised in Australia too one would think! Hardly an escape.

I'm all for her mother having her.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear Baghdad is quiet this time of year, she'll probably be able to slip in there un-noticed. As an ex-cop, all I can say is there's no smoke without fire and she shouldn't get preferential treatment. I agree with Kiwipaul, as long as crims are getting expensive "rehabilitation" treatment it's just another smack in the face for the vicitms or their famlies who get nothing. Whereas I don't think we should head back to the dark ages (or the middle east) with our treatment of crims, the whole political correctness and do-gooders brigade have gone too far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.