Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a house built

Having a house built

Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

If getting your house build there is nothing to stop you getting a engineer or Private Certifier to inspect every stage. Footings, Frame/Trusses, Lock Up and Completion inspections would cost under $1000. Money well well spent.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:02 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Having a house built

Originally posted by Ceri
I'm lucky my other half spots the major faults - such as incorrect wiring and structural faults I spot the obvious, and things which he misses - between the two of us - nothing gets past us

Even things like (which sounds minor but it isn't when you think about it) - tiles along one of the corners of the spa bath - leg level, were razor sharp - cut legs - or it would be dangerous especially if you had young toddlers - take their eye out if they fell against the sharp tile .

The best tip I can give you is when you are choosing a builder, or building company ask them about the "lock up stage" - some companies do not allow you in the house during this stage, some do. The building company we are with allow it - you get a key and are quite welcome to go and come as you please as long as you abide by work and safety laws.

I recommend that you do go with a company that allows you into the house (with your own key) during this stage. That way you can spot the faults before they cover things up with the interior walls and plastering - like plumbing, electrical, etc etc.
A friend of mine when she was building could not go into the house when it was at lock up stage - the probs she is getting now (4 months moved into the home) is unbelievable.

You do get a guarantee for faults to be fixed within a certain time frame of course, but some faults may not be spotted until years later when they obviously will be worse and your guarantee has run out.

I could write a couple of pages long about bad faults which people have had - from expanding , cracked floors (yes you heard right) , to bad plumbing - leaks behind walls.

I've talked to many people who have built here and used different building companies (all major reputable builders I may add) and all have had some trouble or another - from very minor probs to the worst case probs.

Anyway best advice that I can give you choose a builder, or building company who allows you in at "lock up stage" , so you can look around the house on a daily or weekly basis - spot any major probs before they cover them up - which they will do given half the chance, at the end of the day half of these labourers don't give two hoots about your home, all that some of them are interested in is the wage packet. slap and dash.

we had a dripping connection which we saw one day - next day they had put the wall up covering it, we made them rip the wall down and fix it. Had we not seen it the day before we probably would have never knew about it until months or even years down the track.

You may have absolutely no probs - plain sailing with your building process but I would strongly advice you to find a company who gives you a key during lock up stage. After all it's your money - you should be able to go into that house. Not all companies will allow you to do this.

cheers
Thanks for the tips, and thanks for taking the time to hammer out such a long reply.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:03 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
If getting your house build there is nothing to stop you getting a engineer or Private Certifier to inspect every stage. Footings, Frame/Trusses, Lock Up and Completion inspections would cost under $1000. Money well well spent.
Ok ta, will look into it a bit closer to when we may want to (and if we want to) build/buy.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

ested is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Ok ta, will look into it a bit closer to when we may want to (and if we want to) build/buy.
Well I know a good Sydney based architect!!
My Daddy
Lol
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:40 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteY
Thanks for the tips, and thanks for taking the time to hammer out such a long reply.

Yes, I second that. Interesting thread all the way through.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ceri

I recommend that you do go with a company that allows you into the house (with your own key) during this stage. That way you can spot the faults before they cover things up with the interior walls and plastering - like plumbing, electrical, etc etc.
A friend of mine when she was building could not go into the house when it was at lock up stage - the probs she is getting now (4 months moved into the home) is unbelievable.

Ceri

I would hope to buy a new house when we move to Perth. I have to say your advice on this and other subjects is practical, straightforward and no-nonsense. It's good of you to take the time to pass on this experience.

Thanks again

Martin
Old Jul 11th 2003, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all
Cool

Yes I agree thanks for all your advice Ceri. We are in Caloundra at the moment and are in the midst of deciphering all this buying your home and land malarky! We are going to Perth next week for 3 weeks to see what it has to offer, if we don't feel it's for us we have decided on this area - looking at Kawana for a new build. You have helped us a lot especially warning us about this having your own key thing. Hadn't thought about that until now.
Cheers.