Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a house built

Having a house built

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Having a house built

Originally posted by Ceri
Do not mislead people please.

It depends on what you want. There are things to be considered. My mates house is cheap. cheap, cheap - an acre - four bedroom brick only $185 to build and land - but it's Morayfield for christs sake!
Agreed I don't know a great deal about building but I know the value of houses that are already built which is what I buy.

And you can buy very nice houses for between $200-300,000 agreed you won't get an acre of land or a swimming pool, but you will get a 3 bedroom fullly fitted house. A house close to mine built at the same time (2 years ago) sold for $285,000 only 2 months ago. 3 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (1 ensuite), double garage, security screens on all windows, blinds on all windows, etc. Within 12Kms of the CBD.

I cannot argue quality as I cannot prove anything but neither can you, but as far as I'm concerned it's a quality build and the link I provided gives hundreds of houses around me within the range I quoted.

So don't try and tell people they need to spend half a million to get a typcal home in Brisbane.

Just because you build a house dosn't mean it's better quality, just that you can design it to your particular requirements. As far as I'm concerned their is nothing wrong with buying a house someone else has lived in.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:04 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Agreed I don't know a great deal about building but I know the value of houses that are already built which is what I buy.

And you can buy very nice houses for between $200-300,000 agreed you won't get an acre of land or a swimming pool, but you will get a 3 bedroom fullly fitted house. A house close to mine built at the same time (2 years ago) sold for $285,000 only 2 months ago. 3 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (1 ensuite), double garage, security screens on all windows, blinds on all windows, etc. Within 12Kms of the CBD.

Building a house in WA requires earthworks can cost beween $3k-$60k not included in most home prices go to a pre -start and the dollars are emptyed out of your pockets , forget painting , landscaping and carpets , lighting , insulation ECT.
You know little and talk big , you get what you pay for.

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:13 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I cannot argue quality as I cannot prove anything but neither can you, but as far as I'm concerned it's a quality build and the link I provided gives hundreds of houses around me within the range I quoted.

So don't try and tell people they need to spend half a million to get a typcal home in Brisbane.

Just because you build a house dosn't mean it's better quality, just that you can design it to your particular requirements. As far as I'm concerned their is nothing wrong with buying a house someone else has lived in.
Anothers nice is anothers Nightmare.

But come on - you know fully well as I do - for that amount , it's either a small plot in a built up estate, or an old fibro house, or and on a main road

Like I say it depends on what you want.

You can build some lovely houses - I'm not disputing this. hence my first reply saying you can build for 100 thou. of course you can!

we are mixing things now - with land costs.

It's not the building of the house which people should worry about too much, it's up to you on that one - you can build as cheap, or expensive as you want, but it's the land prices in Brisbane, which still is one of the cheapest cities in Aus.

cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

first page when I put in Carina - your point being?? fibro, old homes many of them and 600m is small for land - ok, but small.
It does help if you put in the correct price range and I admitted you wouldn't get acres of land. How many people living in English cities have large gardens?

$299,000
613 D'ARCY ROAD 3 bedroom House
Three bedrooms, large family room, new kitchen, sunroom/study up, single lock-up garage & laundry down, large saltwater pool at front of property, gardens shed behind, all on 584m2 block, close to buses...

$265,000
35 ADELAIDE ST 3 bedroom House
* Excellent Lowset Cavity Brick Stucco Home * 3 Bedrooms * Freshly Painted & Decently Landscaped * Good Size Living Areas Throughout * Detached Lockup Car Accommodation * Side Access * Walking Distance T

$299,000
Highset, ducted reverse cycle air, salt pool, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom & toilet up + 1 down, fully renovated kitchen, 1 car lock-up garage, workshop under and garden shed at rear, close to schools

$235,000
3 bedroom House
Low-set Villa, with ensuite. Good sized court yard, security gate access . leased untill 8/05/04 $210pw.

This is just on a first scan.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

It does help if you put in the correct price range and I admitted you wouldn't get acres of land. How many people living in English cities have large gardens?
I have a 6x4 sq metre courtyard here is that big compared to a terrace in the UK.

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Building a house in WA requires earthworks can cost beween $3k-$60k not included in most home prices go to a pre -start and the dollars are emptyed out of your pockets , forget painting , landscaping and carpets , lighting , insulation ECT.
You know little and talk big , you get what you pay for.

Far as I'm concerned building is like trying to fill a black hole with money. Let the builder take the risk or the developer and buy complete houses then you know what you are getting.

And if you are a cash buyer (no house to sell) you can get really sweet deals. Just my experience.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:36 pm
Banned

Far as I'm concerned building is like trying to fill a black hole with money. Let the builder take the risk or the developer and buy complete houses then you know what you are getting.

And if you are a cash buyer (no house to sell) you can get really sweet deals. Just my experience.
Did that with present house but then you are tied to location that suits the builder , buying a block gives choice.
The advertised home price is well short of what you will pay if you think that the nice show home is what you will get for the price dream on.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 22nd 2003 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:37 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

$299,000
Three bedrooms, large family room, new kitchen, sunroom/study up, single lock-up garage & laundry down, large saltwater pool at front of property, gardens shed behind, all on 584m2 block, close to buses...

$265,000
35 ADELAIDE ST 3 bedroom House
* Excellent Lowset Cavity Brick Stucco Home * 3 Bedrooms * Freshly Painted & Decently Landscaped * Good Size Living Areas Throughout * Detached Lockup Car Accommodation * Side Access * Walking Distance T

$299,000
Highset, ducted reverse cycle air, salt pool, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom & toilet up + 1 down, fully renovated kitchen, 1 car lock-up garage, workshop under and garden shed at rear, close to schools

$235,000
3 bedroom House
Low-set Villa, with ensuite. Good sized court yard, security gate access . leased untill 8/05/04 $210pw.

This is just on a first scan.
I do not understand your point - for a start all those prices you can build for the same price (and get more of a house and land), no 2 ... a 3 bed is considered small - no 3 the land are all under 700 m2 which is small in anyone terms.

No 4 look at them - they are old, look at the area.
You need to look at the homes for yourself - real estate agents will boast up a hovel to be a palace - they are on commision - that's their job! - you need to look at for yourself.

sorry I'm not from an inner English city - many of us are not.

The list you have just pasted - sorry , I would not be seen dead in the homes you have listed, so why steer people to that?

People need to decide and look for themselves when they get here.

cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Did that with present house but then you are tied to location that suits the builder , buying a block gives choice.
The advertised home price is well short of what you will pay if you think that the nice show home is what you will get for the price dream on.
90% of homes sold in Australia have been lived in by other people, why restrict yourself to new homes.

Don't tell me you don't buy second hand.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:45 pm
Banned

90% of homes sold in Australia have been lived in by other people, why restrict yourself to new homes.

No we looked at making cash and building in the right spot gives a good return as does being able to get into the right area.

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Land on Sunshine Coast from scanning Paper.

600sm block $210,000 suburb in Mountain Creek

Sloping block (allow big building costs) Buderim 720sm $175,000.

Water front (canal) $650,000

Buderim distant ocean views but walk to village offers over $400,000.

Nambour, large block $89,000

House and Land Packages (4 bed, 2 bath etc seem to be between $385,000 and High 400,s but these are just Suburban housing estates.)

Move out a bit, bargains in Palmwoods, new house and Land from $330,000.

In Qld the prices of houses was almost stagnant for a decade, houses were so cheap 2 years ago it was laughable. All they have really done is catch up to more realistic levels. Unfortunately heaps of new building codes and laws are not going to make them get any cheaper, nor is developers who put land up every stage. Square for square I would think they were still cheap compared to the UK tho?
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

When I come to sell I hope it is to someone like you.

Cheers

P.S
There's one born every minute.

It is cheaper to build, and sell it some dick ed who thinks they are getting a bargain

I give up!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do not understand your point - for a start all those prices you can build for the same price (and get more of a house and land), no 2 ... a 3 bed is considered small - no 3 the land are all under 700 m2 which is small in anyone terms.

cheers
A 3 bed house is the typical house out here for most people. Familes are getting smaller and just like in the UK 3 bedrooms is the most common.

Why would people buy 4 or 5 bedroom houses when they only have one or two kids, and house prices are so expensive anyway. The houses themselves are generally bigger than the same type of houses the UK.

The only time you would consider buying a larger house than you need is if you can buy without a mortgage as it's a good investment but not if you've got to pay a whopping mortgage.

And whats wrong with Carina it's a typical Brisbane suburb (no don't live their but I live close to it).
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I come to sell I hope it is to someone like you.
From the amount of trouble you are having with your builder I think I'll give it a miss.

Like I said I only buy quality well built houses, not jerry built shacks even if they are 4 bedrooms.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 6:04 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by dotty
Land on Sunshine Coast from scanning Paper.

600sm block $210,000 suburb in Mountain Creek

Sloping block (allow big building costs) Buderim 720sm $175,000.

Water front (canal) $650,000

Buderim distant ocean views but walk to village offers over $400,000.

Nambour, large block $89,000

House and Land Packages (4 bed, 2 bath etc seem to be between $385,000 and High 400,s but these are just Suburban housing estates.)

Move out a bit, bargains in Palmwoods, new house and Land from $330,000.

In Qld the prices of houses was almost stagnant for a decade, houses were so cheap 2 years ago it was laughable. All they have really done is catch up to more realistic levels. Unfortunately heaps of new building codes and laws are not going to make them get any cheaper, nor is developers who put land up every stage. Square for square I would think they were still cheap compared to the UK tho?
I bought my land almost two years ago - wait for it ..... 45 thou! (gawd we were lucky!) a huge plot, plus a reserve at my back garden - where does my garden end and stop??? seriously beautiful plot of land, away from neighbours - bought it pivately. There was one of those fluffy B*stards up our tree the other day (Koala) - sparky phoned his Mrs up to bring the kids around to have a look at it ! (and he's Australian) - sad very sad - they got all excited - I'm thinking yes, b*gger off my land!

But anyway , land has shot up greatly here - want to buy mine? quiet, backing onto a reserve/bush - triple the price now- without house - house is extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.