Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having had the choice!!!????.......

Wikiposts

Having had the choice!!!????.......

Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:30 am
wombat42

Default Re: Having had the choice!!!????.......

Originally Posted by whippoorwillman
Okay..just a goofy question. Uh..Where is OZ,and is the wizard still there?
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area..I'm new to these forums, not to the planet,but I don't have a clue as to where OZ is. Its gotta be a long way from Oklahoma.
Most Americans don't have a clue where Australia is either.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:27 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jugsy
Jacqueline, you will get plenty of reassurance on this site but not much in the way of a balanced view.
A wee bit unfair Jugsy, u only have to look at post #46 by pheonixuk2oz. To me its one of the most balanced posts I’ve seen.
As for the UK bashing, I prefer to call it “Kicking the shit out of the UK� in some cases it deserves it. It’s all down to personal experiences. The UK had its way of pissing on us at times and I like to throw some back when I feel like it. So far Oz has been good to us, but once I get that first dribble of urine Oz can expect a bucket in return.
DISCLAIMER:
This is in no way an argument, so I don’t expect a reply. Its my personal opinion, it might be a shit one, but its all mine
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Think about yourself in 20 years time...will you regret trying Oz? Probably not...even if you are back in the UK! will you regret NOT trying Oz...very possibly!

Its natural to have a few/ a lot of colliewobbles!

Its true moving to Oz is such a huge upheavel...can't imagine many families would make such an extreme effort to change their life whilst staying in the UK... but maybe their Quality of Life would improve just as much there if they did?

We love Melbourne life by the way. Goodluck!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by whippoorwillman
Okay..just a goofy question. Uh..Where is OZ,and is the wizard still there?
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area..I'm new to these forums, not to the planet,but I don't have a clue as to where OZ is. Its gotta be a long way from Oklahoma.
Follow the yellow brick road of course!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OZ!!

If you asked me a few months ago i'd have said somewhere in the middle!!

But we've just had the grandparents over (as HUP said) and seeing how the kids handled it just confirmed my feelings, they are sooo settled its just unbelievable. It was a bit of a wake up call really, as if to say "shut up griping about stuff not being the same, it was never gonna be, was it??"

So i've kind of embraced it more, opened my eyes and smelt the coffee (not through my eyes obviously ) and it is indeed a wonderful place, not without faults, but a wonderful place.

Like Britain, its not nirvana, if anyone finds that, THATS where i'm gonna be living
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:04 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by soapy
A wee bit unfair Jugsy, u only have to look at post #46 by pheonixuk2oz. To me its one of the most balanced posts I’ve seen.
As for the UK bashing, I prefer to call it “Kicking the shit out of the UK� in some cases it deserves it. It’s all down to personal experiences. The UK had its way of pissing on us at times and I like to throw some back when I feel like it. So far Oz has been good to us, but once I get that first dribble of urine Oz can expect a bucket in return.
DISCLAIMER:
This is in no way an argument, so I don’t expect a reply. Its my personal opinion, it might be a shit one, but its all mine
Thanks soapy. I don't deserve the praise [but thanxs anyway]. I only reflected what I've personally encountered and what others have said before me.

I think what Jugsy was trying to say was that sometimes, when you voice your opinion on here [whatever that may be], you often get slated for it. This then makes people uncomfortable in saying what they really think in the first place. A great shame really as we often understand the world a bit better when we see things from all perspectives

I think everyone's agreed so far though, that we should voice our own personal views and experiences and expect mutual respect, regardless of the differing viewpoints

Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Ace post Hevs

Good point you made re learning to embrace the differences, not fight them

[even if you can't smell the coffee through your eyes....eee...this made me chukkle...think you've finally lost it girl ]

Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:06 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Thanks soapy. I don't deserve the praise [but thanxs anyway]. I only reflected what I've personally encountered and what others have said before me.

I think what Jugsy was trying to say was that sometimes, when you voice your opinion on here [whatever that may be], you often get slated for it. This then makes people uncomfortable in saying what they really think in the first place. A great shame really as we often understand the world a bit better when we see things from all perspectives

I think everyone's agreed so far though, that we should voice our own personal views and experiences and expect mutual respect, regardless of the differing viewpoints
its true, if u say anything bad about oz u get slated. we all know oz isnt perfect all u need to do its look at the top tips thread to see that. i know it was a laugh. but u can see why a lot of things get people down here.
I know people don’t want to hear just the good things, but I really don’t want to post many bad things about Oz. Because once you’ve typed it you could dwell on it.
I’ve seen it myself. Newbies trying to come to terms with the big change and coping ok, but having doubts. Then they meet someone who hates Oz and have had years to make that decision. Then start to moan about all the things that made Oz the wrong place for them and it rubs off. If someone hates Oz, why not post in the moving back to wherever they came from forum. That way, anyone trying to find out the bad side can nip in there and see how bad it is lol
That’s why I mostly try to be positive about my experience. Or should I say our.
I know I talk shite most of the time, but this is how I feel. Everyone has a different out look on life and no matter how good Oz is for me, it just can’t be exactly the same for them. So really it’s a waste of time posting anything.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:26 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I know I talk shite most of the time,
Yeah but its good, funny shite
Everyone has a different out look on life and no matter how good Oz is for me, it just can’t be exactly the same for them. So really it’s a waste of time posting anything.
Yeah, i kinda feel like that too, lets all bugger off down the RSL
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:03 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by hevs
Yeah but its good, funny shite
Yeah, i kinda feel like that too, lets all bugger off down the RSL
hey u, i sat in that RSL for 2 hours
where were u
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:37 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

hey u, i sat in that RSL for 2 hours
where were u
I'll take the blame. She was having coffee with me.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:56 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: Having had the choice!!!????.......

Originally Posted by zoe100
... life seems to be in colour in australia.
What a fabulous phrase - a great way to put it! And, yes, I'd agree.

Australia for me! I've lived in Brisbane for nearly 28 years, having previously lived in Kent, UK (and a few other places). In Oct 2003 I went to UK for a while (relationship reasons), returning to Brissie last November.

To my mind, Australia has far more to offer and people, generally, seem to be less glum. Naturally, there are always good and bad things about any country you choose to live in, cultures you live with, people you encounter along the way, however, overall I wouldn't swap. I became a naturalised Australian in 1985 and (partly due to a 'foreign' birth and upbringing) I now consider myself to be a 'ridgy-didge' Australian - and so do my Aussie friends.

I have no kids, so can't comment on that aspect, but I do know the feeling of a split family (brother still in UK) and scattered friends. I like to look on the positive side of things: I have loads of places to stay with great mates throughout the world and it's such fun visiting and catching up!

I've encountered more positive attitudes here than in UK (though that's not to say that it doesn't exist in UK) and a generally brighter outlook for the future.

Torquay is nice; I stayed and worked there in 1989 when my brother lived in Newton Abbot. There are many lovely places in UK, but life here, for me, is far better.

Australia is Australia, not Little (or Larger?!) Britain and should not be compared. You must have an open mind when travelling anyway, I think. A closed mind/attitude gets you nowhere in life, regardless of your location but especially when moving around the world. You'll have trials aplenty ahead of you, but perseverance usually pays dividends. Embrace your new life with open arms!

Good luck to you and may your future be bright and happy.

Cheers,
Chris

PS If you need any help with Brisbane-specific questions, I'm always happy to help.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:48 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'll take the blame. She was having coffee with me.
ah well, we all make mistakes in life. i wont hold it against her
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:01 pm
Badge

better still, get yourself a comfort blanket that is portable. Exists in any country.

That's what I did.

BM

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:02 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jacqueline Rooks
now in st marychurch but up until aug last year in torquay town in pub but now retired landlady!! worried i will miss typical british boozers!!
Have you ever been to Oz Jacqueline...? You will I think miss the Pub...They are nothing like ours....Its something Im going to miss even though I dont go pub all that often...they are not the sort of social meeting houses ours are... ...but I am not trying to put you off just for that reason eh...Im still going...expecting visa to arrive in the next 4 to 6 weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.