Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having doubts...

Having doubts...

Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Having doubts...

Started the whole immigration process about 18 months ago and just recently got promotion and looks like a further promotion in the next few months with a double figure pay rise. So basically wondering if moving downunder is the best move for us or not. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Have been looking online at possible job opportunities for when we move but the requirements for the same position that i am in at the moment requires a degree in economics, finance or accountancy- which i don't have. Any advise would be appreciated...

Debbie
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having doubts...

Well done on the promotion!

Consider that if the promotion is enough to change your current views then possibly it is enough to want to stay.

You do not say if you already have the visa or what visa you have, is it worth staying for a couple of years and then seeing if you want to go or the job has really meant you want to stay. The entry on a 136 is open for a few years after you validate. There is no legal reason to rush over the minute it is granted.

For some the job situation in moving means they have to work back up again with Aus experience etc before hitting the big money and this takes its toll. For others moving is not about the job so personal views will be tainted by others desires. Only you can decide what factors madeyou want to move to Aus and if you have enough to now want to delay or stay in the UK.

Cheers
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sandra
Well done on the promotion!

Consider that if the promotion is enough to change your current views then possibly it is enough to want to stay.

You do not say if you already have the visa or what visa you have, is it worth staying for a couple of years and then seeing if you want to go or the job has really meant you want to stay. The entry on a 136 is open for a few years after you validate. There is no legal reason to rush over the minute it is granted.

For some the job situation in moving means they have to work back up again with Aus experience etc before hitting the big money and this takes its toll. For others moving is not about the job so personal views will be tainted by others desires. Only you can decide what factors madeyou want to move to Aus and if you have enough to now want to delay or stay in the UK.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply Sandra, really confused at the moment as to what is the best move for us in the long term. Loved the time we had in Brisbane in June but now starting to get concerned re the job prospects and salary etc when we get there. Probably the best thing for myself to do is to start studying for the Oz banking exams which is a bit of a thought as i have been out of uni for nearly 8 years so studying every night after work does not sound very appealing!!

Debbie
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:41 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the promotion Deb!
As far as you having doubts is concerned only you can make the ultimate decision but here is our experience just for you to have some comparison.
When we started the application process I had just been made a manager and hubby had just been promoted within the NHS so we were quite 'well off' as far as salaries go.
Due to circumstances too complicated to go into we had no equity or savings to bring out with us but the decision to come was not a hard one.
If we had both stayed in the jobs we had (which we needed to live day to day) the pressure would have probably killed one of us within 10 years.
I know it sounds dramatic but the signs were appearing, hubby loosing weight and not sleeping, working up to 11 hours a day etc.
Neither of us had a job to come to but we are so glad we made the leap.
Hubby is now doing the same job here for the Queensland government, slightly less pay but NO pressure at all and as yet I haven't started looking for a job.
We have been here exactly 1 year and we are both (thank God) disgustingly healthy and happier than we have ever been (apart from missing the family!!).

Before you make the final decision think long and hard and don't just take financial considerations into account. We realised that money and financial security is only good if you are around long enough to enjoy it.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Loz x
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Great news on the promotion, but the down side is it makes you think!

Money is important, but so are many, many other things, and only you can possibly know what they are for you personally.

Moving over here is a huge decision, and its fair to say that most people make sacrifices in one way or another when they leave the UK. Many reap the benefits once they get established here, while many others don't....some return to the UK, and some remain here very unhappily.

At the end of the day, something made you want to move out here, and you have to ask yourself whether a promotion will merely push back that desire, only to find two years down the road you want to come out again.

I would personally just get the visa, validate, then hold back until you sort through your doubts etc.....as Sandra said, there is no immediate rush.

Good luck, its tough when you are sitting at a PC in the UK trying to work up the enthusiasm to move your whole life to the other side of the world ........bet you had no trouble though, when you were sat on the beach here

Its not easy, but chill out what will be will be

Molly x
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:21 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Deb,

Congrats on the promotion thats really good news for you! Sometimes though you have to wonder if in the long term the money is gona be enough for you to want to stay in Scotland long term. What were your main reasons for wanting to move in the first place...sun...lifestyle...etc..(more meets with us mad lot) ) If you really think that the extra money can provide you with the dreams you want to fulfil then Scotland may be the place for you......However if in the long term money can't provide what you long for in terms of lifestyle choices get your but over here

Hope the decision you need to make becomes an easy one for you.

hugs Andreaxx

P.S. I'm back in Edinburgh between 26th Dec and 18th Jan for a visit so if you fancy a drink just drop me a line.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all boils down to what were your motivations for emigrating in the first place.

I doubt it was the fine job prospects and bucket loads of cash.

I guess we had a similar dilemma: DH got his electrical qualification just before we left and had the offer of well paid electrician's job which would have meant we would be raking it in more than we had been on his measly engineering pay.

BUT

We didnt give it a second thought, we had our reasons for wanting to move and that over-rode any benefit that a bit more cash might have offered.

We have had our trials and tribulations but the upshot is we are not sorry we made the move.

Only you can of course make the decision, but just try and remember your reasons... and if you do decide to make the move and things are tough to start with dont fall into the trap of thinking "if only we'd stayed in the UK we'd have had this and that" as it is the slippery slope...

Good luck whatever you decide
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:09 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Started the whole immigration process about 18 months ago and just recently got promotion and looks like a further promotion in the next few months with a double figure pay rise. So basically wondering if moving downunder is the best move for us or not. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Have been looking online at possible job opportunities for when we move but the requirements for the same position that i am in at the moment requires a degree in economics, finance or accountancy- which i don't have. Any advise would be appreciated...

Debbie
If your worries are financial/career and you are happy where you are then I'd stay put ...

The potential risks for you outweigh what you may get out of the upheaval, which may not necessarily be material.

It's a risk/reward thing and for you, going by what little I know about you, I'd say it's not worth it.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Great news debbie, What ever will be will be .What ever you decide will be the right thing at the time, you will have the validated visa if it doesnt work out.
As you know our plans changed and ricky was off to singapore to this great financial job, well the co was not all it was cracked up to be. Ricky spent a bit of money being ther efor 5 weeks and was knocked back for his employment pass.
The MAS were looking at the company very closely as they seemed to be doing things not by the book and we have since found out that only 3 out of the 13 people in he company have been let go . they were not licenced to sell . Ricky sat his exams and passed 2 and was to be sitting the last one after we got the news of the pass.
We think it was rejected as they were looking at the company closely.
Luckily ricky was back home for our florida trip and we hadn't booked our flights.

I had given up ny management job though .
we both now have no jobs and jordan had given up college.

So we are just thinking this happened to us to make us realise we were not doing the right thing. We thought wed have more money to eventually take to oz .Chasing the money has left us in a bit of a pickle.

So its off to Oz and we will just earn enough to enjoy the lifestyle we want sun, fun and happiness.

Money sometimes isnt everything!!!!

Good luck in what ever you decide

Speak soon

Sharon.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
If your worries are financial/career and you are happy where you are then I'd stay put ...

The potential risks for you outweigh what you may get out of the upheaval, which may not necessarily be material.

It's a risk/reward thing and for you, going by what little I know about you, I'd say it's not worth it.

I would agree with you Vim.

I think Deb seems content in her comfort zone, and to upset the proverbial apple cart with a move to the greener side of the street, may not be a cohesive and productive move
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Double pay rise would, I'm sure, pay for a lot of travelling. Personally, I'd stay put and enjoy city breaks at weekends and nice holidays in far flung places during your vacation.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

If you really knew me you would know that I intially worry and then think f@@k it and just get on with it!

Debbie
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by acbh2
Hey Deb,

Congrats on the promotion thats really good news for you! Sometimes though you have to wonder if in the long term the money is gona be enough for you to want to stay in Scotland long term. What were your main reasons for wanting to move in the first place...sun...lifestyle...etc..(more meets with us mad lot) ) If you really think that the extra money can provide you with the dreams you want to fulfil then Scotland may be the place for you......However if in the long term money can't provide what you long for in terms of lifestyle choices get your but over here

Hope the decision you need to make becomes an easy one for you.

hugs Andreaxx

P.S. I'm back in Edinburgh between 26th Dec and 18th Jan for a visit so if you fancy a drink just drop me a line.
Hi Andrea

You are right the whole money thing does not out weigh the crap weather we have in Scotland and also the extra money would be great for a while but the whole lifestyle in Oz is so much better than any employer could offer you in terms of money/ benefits etc......

Debbie
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:45 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissydeb
If you really knew me you would know that I intially worry and then think f@@k it and just get on with it!

Debbie
That approach will also work!

Life is there to be lived and sometimes the things can't be measured or compared are the most important