Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Wollongong

Having a baby in Wollongong

Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Having a baby in Wollongong

We're having a baby in Australia

Thank goodness I have a good GP who immediately understood that I didn't have a clue how things work here and thank god for What to expect Australian edition.

But I'm still feeling uncertain about things....do I really have to pay for ante-natal classes??? I can choose where I give birth but how would I know where to choose??? If I make a birthing plan will it count for anything on the day? Am I really not to get regular checks until 36 weeks? and have I really got to pay for a docs appointment for every check or can a nurse do it? Did someone say compulsory enema? ewwww! Will they show me round the ward before I have to go in? What happens after the baby is born, does a midwife visit? do I go to them?

If anyone has had a baby here, please share! Is there anything you wish you'd known? No scary stories please!! but any tips will be gratefully listened to.

Thank you!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in Wollongong

ooh...good news, congrats!!! I'll let my better half know!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Well...according to the mothers circle who have convened here this morning, if you use the bulk billing medical centres and a public hospital then it will be negligible costs. If however you use a non bulk billing doctor and Private Hospital then the costs will soar!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

congratulations - exciting news

the more you learn, the easier it will be, a birth and feeding plan will be your wishes and people will try and make your wishes acheivable.

All the best,
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
Well...according to the mothers circle who have convened here this morning, if you use the bulk billing medical centres and a public hospital then it will be negligible costs. If however you use a non bulk billing doctor and Private Hospital then the costs will soar!
Yes, let her know for me We just started telling people. Soooo, if my doc charges me $65 on the day and then I get medicare paying about half that in to my account, that's not bulk billed is it?

I don't understand this bulk billing. First blood test I paid nothing. 2nd I get an invoice in the post for $145 eeeeek! I was able to claim most of it back but not all. Why not all?? The southern IML lady said the doc must have forgotten to tick the medicare box on the form. 3rd test, no charge again.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
congratulations - exciting news

the more you learn, the easier it will be, a birth and feeding plan will be your wishes and people will try and make your wishes acheivable.

All the best,
Thanks! that sounds promising. Is it common here to be able to choose a birthing position? Last time (not here) my request was met with frowns and the ascertion that I must be on my back on the very narrow bed otherwise they wouldn't be able to see what was happening.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When you see a doc who then sends you off for whatever test, ensure they've ticked the bulk bill box. It may have been a slip up, but normally they do it automatically.

Oh and congrats.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know if scans can be bulk billed too?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, also, I'm wondering about costs from the hospital. We have no hospital insurance and so will be going public. I have no idea what is covered by medicare and what I have to pay for....doctor, midwide, aneathnatist, meals?? what if I need blood or tests while there?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Caz !!!
That's brilliant news.

Speak to Lou, she had Evie at Wollongong public and was all good.
Don't think we had a single bill !

Stu
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Wollongong Public is common to a lot of kids around here and they seem ok!! The only difference between NHS and Medicare, generally speaking, is that Medicare needs bills to be raised and in some instances you get that bill yourself but it is almost all reclaimable.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your circumstances at the time, your choice of position should be accommodated if possible. I've delivered babies on the bed, in the shower and even on the loo x
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Depending on your circumstances at the time, your choice of position should be accommodated if possible. I've delivered babies on the bed, in the shower and even on the loo x
Wow, on the loo?? Hope it was a comode and not a flush toilet!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Caz !!!
That's brilliant news.

Speak to Lou, she had Evie at Wollongong public and was all good.
Don't think we had a single bill !

Stu
Thanks Stu, we're stoked. I'll need to pick Lou's brains when I see her
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carzinoz
Wow, on the loo?? Hope it was a comode and not a flush toilet!

Lol it was a flush but did use a towel xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.