Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Oz

Having a baby in Oz

Old May 15th 2007, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having a baby in Oz

Hi Folks - no its not me... my cousin is due to land in Australia in September (on a 136 visa) and his wife is due to have their baby in December. They are wondering if anyone could help them out with how much its going to cost and how things work. Its just to take a bit of pressure off them really.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Thanking you.
Old May 15th 2007, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Jayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant future
Default Re: Having a baby in Oz

Hi there

I'm in Perth got here 1 year ago and just given birth 6 weeks ago.

I thought the standard of care was excellent - I was seen by Dr every 4 weeks in beginnning and bulk billed so had to pay nothing (if not the dr's charges are around $50 per visit but you wold get about $32 back from medicare)

I then did shared cover with hospital so when I reached 28 weeks the hospital took over - no cost. I was booked for c-section - and all went really well the hospital were fantastic. Stayed in 3 days and then had midwife come to house for 2 days after I was home.

Tell her not to worry I thought my care was far better than my first baby at home in England

J
Old May 15th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jayniebabes
Hi there

I'm in Perth got here 1 year ago and just given birth 6 weeks ago.

I thought the standard of care was excellent - I was seen by Dr every 4 weeks in beginnning and bulk billed so had to pay nothing (if not the dr's charges are around $50 per visit but you wold get about $32 back from medicare)

I then did shared cover with hospital so when I reached 28 weeks the hospital took over - no cost. I was booked for c-section - and all went really well the hospital were fantastic. Stayed in 3 days and then had midwife come to house for 2 days after I was home.

Tell her not to worry I thought my care was far better than my first baby at home in England

J
Thank you - It doesnt help that we dont understand medicare properly to be honest J. Will they have to pay for appointments??
Old May 15th 2007, 9:12 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez Cath! I almost got the shock of my life reading the title of your thread!

Jackie x
Old May 15th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Jayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant future

unless the dr bulk bills - you will have to pay for appointments $50 then get $32 back from medicare - they give you a form at Dr's that you take with you to medicare.

Some dr's bulk bill which means they bill medicare direct so you don't pay a penny.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Our daughter ( nearly 1 year old) was born at Frankston Hospital, and i have to say the level of care here was fantastic, far better than I ever imagined. The maternity wing was only about one year old and was like private.

It has the thumbs up from us!
Old May 15th 2007, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My wife had our second a week ago - great service.

No complaints - and none of it cost a penny. Midwife lead too - none of this gyno - book you in for a ceasar so they take the baby bonus and head off to the golf course nonsense for Chief. She pushed like a trooper and was as good as last time - a real natural.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:08 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah we had one ( sorry forget her name , well il's been 6 months now) all good , local doc and the hospital .

They took heaps more shots/info at scan time than in uk
Old May 15th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

No complaints - and none of it cost a penny. Midwife lead too - none of this gyno - book you in for a ceasar so they take the baby bonus and head off to the golf course nonsense for Chief. She pushed like a trooper and was as good as last time - a real natural.
Congratulations, Badge.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyC
Congratulations, Badge.
thanks everyone. I am sure they will be having a read of the thread. All this info is really appreciated.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:28 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Aww congratulations Badge! What did you get?

Jackie x
Old May 16th 2007, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Aww congratulations Badge! What did you get?

Jackie x
Another little girl.

As one bloke in the brigade said - "God doesn't like you!'"
Old May 16th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen there is also a thread in the Barbie section about having a baby in Oz, costs & insurance options etc. Might be worth a look!
Old May 16th 2007, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

My wife had our first in Oz in Jan. We had a few dramas before hand so got refered to a Prof at the Royal Womens Hospital at Randwick, Sydney. His name Is Prof Michael Bennett and i would recommend him to anybody, although the total cost was $5K But over half back from Medicare and some back from private medical insurance. It's the way to go if you want the best and reassurance. We piad $500 every vist to see him so had paid up before the birth.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by esperanza
Have you seen there is also a thread in the Barbie section about having a baby in Oz, costs & insurance options etc. Might be worth a look!
Spotted it about an hour ago. Its a gooden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.