Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Haven't posted for a while, but the yellow envelope arrived yesterday and guess what

Haven't posted for a while, but the yellow envelope arrived yesterday and guess what

Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Haven't posted for a while, but the yellow envelope arrived yesterday and guess what

Haven't posted for a while....but after we sent application in June.....they took the money in July, been waiting since.

Well.....it - the big yellow ebvelope - came through the door yesterday and requested we now get police and medical checks done. Does that mean they have accepted our application thus far and now it's down to a cough and drop and checking we're not terrorists ?.....Are we almost "in".

They want all this back by 8 November and I have no idea how long it takes for police and medicals to come back.

I take it that the date of these checks then becomes the crucial date for us to then validate within 12 months.......is that correct ?

If so, we'd plan a holiday and fact finding mission next August
(yippee that Virgin start flying to Oz this year and I have Virgin air miles)

If we get to pass these checks and do go for a look and see next year I'm going to be asking everyone on here for more advice in what to check out.....and where to go and where to stay and how to do it on the cheap with 3 kids in tow.......mobile home/camper van ?......we'd visit Sydney and Brisbane.

Next year could get very scary ........houses....schools.
...jobs....

Still not sure this will come off (espcially after reading Janey Ray on the thread about what to do differently) but at least we can have a choice to go or stay.

are clothes really that crap all over Oz....is TV (even satellite) really crap.......so what if all your chips are in one bag ?...... $64000 question is do you have a better life or not ?.......... outdoor life is important to me and my family and this summer in the UK hasn't been great. Now winter is here I'm going to be getting depressed and wishing for some sun.

....that's lit the fire... Who's going to be first to tell me the sun in Oz is what everyone wants to escape from.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:43 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Haven't posted for a while, but the yellow envelope arrived yesterday and guess what

Well done, sounds positive to me! The police have to supply the checks within a certain timeframe (30 days if memory serves me) so you should be alright there.

You can get the medical results within a couple of days. So as far as I can see the only problem you have is with another man cupping your balls!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:45 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haven't posted for a while, but the yellow envelope arrived yesterday and guess what

Your fire is truly lit

Yes, the fact they have requested meds and police checks indicates they are happy with what you have provided.

Yes, the validation date does usually count from date of these.

Meds timing will be purely down to how quick you can arrange the appointments with the DIMIA docs. Meds and xrays are sometimes at different sites but they usually arrange it to coincide for you.

Police checks could take up to 40 days.

I think Janeray was having a bit of an off day as generally she has been very helpful to many people but on that thread she did come over in a bad light.

Take in what she said though. Analyse it and decide what you think about some of those things.

You already said you aren't worried about the chips - me neither. I am also not into "fashion / designer" clothes and don't give a toss about TV.

Remember one mans meat is anothers poison.

Hope it progresses okay for you
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Man
Well done, sounds positive to me! The police have to supply the checks within a certain timeframe (30 days if memory serves me) so you should be alright there.

You can get the medical results within a couple of days. So as far as I can see the only problem you have is with another man cupping your balls!
Thanks Kentish Man.

It's the wife that will have the problem with the cough and drop - she wears the trousers you see !!!!.........well, she thinks she does !

Where in Kent are you - I am from Swanley originally.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
Your fire is truly lit

Yes, the fact they have requested meds and police checks indicates they are happy with what you have provided.

Yes, the validation date does usually count from date of these.

Meds timing will be purely down to how quick you can arrange the appointments with the DIMIA docs. Meds and xrays are sometimes at different sites but they usually arrange it to coincide for you.

Police checks could take up to 40 days.

I think Janeray was having a bit of an off day as generally she has been very helpful to many people but on that thread she did come over in a bad light.

Take in what she said though. Analyse it and decide what you think about some of those things.

You already said you aren't worried about the chips - me neither. I am also not into "fashion / designer" clothes and don't give a toss about TV.

Remember one mans meat is anothers poison.

Hope it progresses okay for you
Thanks.......40 days for the police checks sounds nasty. Presumably they are overwhelmed checking all those illegal immigrants and looking at speeding photos............or having 8 policemen set up mobile speed traps.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:53 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Thanks Kentish Man.

It's the wife that will have the problem with the cough and drop - she wears the trousers you see !!!!.........well, she thinks she does !

Mrs Kentish once wore a pair of my trousers, I told her that was the last time she'd be wearing them in our relationship. She then told me to put her knickers on. I duly obliged and she said 'If you don't change your attitude that's the last time you'll be getting in them'.

Born in Maidstone, raised in Aylesford and been living in Strood for the last 18 months. But Thursday I'm off to Thailand for three weeks and then on to Oz for good!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kentish Man.

Hey! I live in Kent too (Wye, near Ashford).

Congrats on getting the Big Yellow.....now if you're prepared to adapt, deal with some things being somewhat different, and accept that it may take a wee while to settle, then there's no reason why you can't have a wonderful life in Aus. Well, i wish you the very best of luck anyhoo, and yes I'm jealous!!

Tony.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kentish once wore a pair of my trousers, I told her that was the last time she'd be wearing them in our relationship. She then told me to put her knickers on. I duly obliged and she said 'If you don't change your attitude that's the last time you'll be getting in them'.

Born in Maidstone, raised in Aylesford and been living in Strood for the last 18 months. But Thursday I'm off to Thailand for three weeks and then on to Oz for good!
Very good !.......

I used to work in Aylseford at Kimberly Clark.

What will you be doing in Oz for work or is that not sorted yet. Have a great trip anyway.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:03 pm
AWOL

Very good !.......

I used to work in Aylseford at Kimberly Clark.

What will you be doing in Oz for work or is that not sorted yet. Have a great trip anyway.
Kimberley Clark, just round the corner.

No idea what work I'll be doing. Living with the in laws in SA until January and that's in the middle of nowhere so the only work is in vineyards. Will be in Brissie from January and I'll just play it by ear. Best way I reckon, let's see what happens!

What about yourself?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimberley Clark, just round the corner.

No idea what work I'll be doing. Living with the in laws in SA until January and that's in the middle of nowhere so the only work is in vineyards. Will be in Brissie from January and I'll just play it by ear. Best way I reckon, let's see what happens!

What about yourself?
Sounds a good laid back plan.

The wife is a midwife and sonographer....I am an accountant but work mostly in financial systems for large companies....could go back to pure accounting if need to.

Have so many worries about this adventure....top of them are jobs, houses and schools.

Main reason for going is for our 3 boys.....think oit will be better for them out there than here, even though we do live in a nice area. If we can live with a better lifestyle with proportionally less debt then so much the better....want to be able to give my kids a good start in life, but so does everyone so I'm no different.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:18 pm
AWOL

Sounds a good laid back plan.

The wife is a midwife and sonographer....I am an accountant but work mostly in financial systems for large companies....could go back to pure accounting if need to.

Have so many worries about this adventure....top of them are jobs, houses and schools.

Main reason for going is for our 3 boys.....think oit will be better for them out there than here, even though we do live in a nice area. If we can live with a better lifestyle with proportionally less debt then so much the better....want to be able to give my kids a good start in life, but so does everyone so I'm no different.
Well I hope it all goes to plan mate. Worry not, most problems in life are trivial, just concentrate on enjoying yourself and looking after loved ones and all will be well.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:30 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.......40 days for the police checks sounds nasty. Presumably they are overwhelmed checking all those illegal immigrants and looking at speeding photos............or having 8 policemen set up mobile speed traps.
That is supposed to be the maximum time but with no guarantee and I believe people do get them back earlier rather than later.

The checks are done by Scotland Yard but communication is via a regional office.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:06 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

We have just applied for our police checks and were told that 40 days was the term and they could not do it sooner! It did surprise me when I found out.

Not sure if that is standard or if the length of time to get these checks depends on which city/county you are in.

Best of luck with your application.

Gary

Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Talking Re: Haven't posted for a while, but the yellow envelope arrived yesterday and guess what

Haven't posted for a while....but after we sent application in June.....they took the money in July, been waiting since.

Well.....it - the big yellow ebvelope - came through the door yesterday and requested we now get police and medical checks done. Does that mean they have accepted our application thus far and now it's down to a cough and drop and checking we're not terrorists ?.....Are we almost "in".

They want all this back by 8 November and I have no idea how long it takes for police and medicals to come back.

I take it that the date of these checks then becomes the crucial date for us to then validate within 12 months.......is that correct ?

If so, we'd plan a holiday and fact finding mission next August
(yippee that Virgin start flying to Oz this year and I have Virgin air miles)

If we get to pass these checks and do go for a look and see next year I'm going to be asking everyone on here for more advice in what to check out.....and where to go and where to stay and how to do it on the cheap with 3 kids in tow.......mobile home/camper van ?......we'd visit Sydney and Brisbane.

Next year could get very scary ........houses....schools.
...jobs....

Still not sure this will come off (espcially after reading Janey Ray on the thread about what to do differently) but at least we can have a choice to go or stay.

are clothes really that crap all over Oz....is TV (even satellite) really crap.......so what if all your chips are in one bag ?...... $64000 question is do you have a better life or not ?.......... outdoor life is important to me and my family and this summer in the UK hasn't been great. Now winter is here I'm going to be getting depressed and wishing for some sun.

....that's lit the fire... Who's going to be first to tell me the sun in Oz is what everyone wants to escape from.
Hi there I doinnt rwealsie the significance of the yellow envelope till i joined this site but we are in the same position as you. i have rung to try to speed the police checks up but it is impossible. After 15 days they were not on the system still i think it is a test to see if you are really ready for a more relaxed life styel
medicals were easy rang the listed doctor on friday and was offerd an appointment the next week.
our get it back by date is November 2 s o I am dreaming of a yellow christmas
good luck mary
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The 40 days for the police check is the max by law under the data Proection Act - many checks come back sooner, depends on the workload at Scotland Yard. You send the stuff to your local HQ, but it has to go to the Yard for the checks to be done, so even though locally it will go through quick, it may get held up in London.

Olibeneli - as your location says West Sussex -

http://www.sussex.police.uk/foi/data_protection2.asp

The form you need to download is A221 (PNC)

Address to send to is Data Protection Office, Sussex Police HQ, Malling House, Church Lane, Lewes BN7 2DZ

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 27th 2004 at 4:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.