Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Haven't had any power since 3pm yesterday...

Haven't had any power since 3pm yesterday...

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:03 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Haven't had any power since 3pm yesterday...

Originally Posted by lesleys
That takes all our 2kw of generator to do that! Have to disconnect fridge before using kettle or it cuts out.
Yeah just messin bout the kettle, that takes heaps of power!

Good idea tho and def the way to go ...
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Yeah just messin bout the kettle, that takes heaps of power!

Good idea tho and def the way to go ...
Boil a billie on the barbie.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Boil a billie on the barbie.
You wouldn't even contemplate that in the wind and rain we had

Power back today after 50 hours. Excellent - it took 10 days in 1987 in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah nostalgia, it aint what it used to be
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't really know where to ask this question but as my problem has only occured since the recent QLD storm, I'll try here.

Has anyone had problems accessing hotmail and facebook the last couple of days?

We had no power (or water being in the sticks) from sunday to tuesday night and only got our landline/phone line back yesterday. Since then I can connect to the internet no problem and get most websites but can't get into hotmail at all. Tried facebook and just got plain black and white/blue text, all disjointed. News.com.au is another I can't get, I use that to catch up on daily news. The hotmail though, is really frustrating.

Any ideas on what I could do will be appreciated, thanks?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
Don't really know where to ask this question but as my problem has only occured since the recent QLD storm, I'll try here.

Has anyone had problems accessing hotmail and facebook the last couple of days?

We had no power (or water being in the sticks) from sunday to tuesday night and only got our landline/phone line back yesterday. Since then I can connect to the internet no problem and get most websites but can't get into hotmail at all. Tried facebook and just got plain black and white/blue text, all disjointed. News.com.au is another I can't get, I use that to catch up on daily news. The hotmail though, is really frustrating.

Any ideas on what I could do will be appreciated, thanks?
Info from work - Queensland disaster management - Some areas do still have a poor connection rate, although Telstra have fixed the main infrastructure connection (sorry I don't know the techy terms!) there are problems in some places due to lines which still work but may have been damaged - we are still having issues connecting to some of our offices in flood areas, and some of the aircards our deployed staff have (which are all telstra) aren't working as well as they could do
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Info from work - Queensland disaster management - Some areas do still have a poor connection rate, although Telstra have fixed the main infrastructure connection (sorry I don't know the techy terms!) there are problems in some places due to lines which still work but may have been damaged - we are still having issues connecting to some of our offices in flood areas, and some of the aircards our deployed staff have (which are all telstra) aren't working as well as they could do
Thanks for the info

I'm just running a detailed scan and have considered it might be my browser, but have tried on another computer (wireless from the same modem) and get the same problem. The internet connection light on my modem keeps flashing which it doesn't normally do so there might be some issue with the line I suppose. Just strange that it is only some websites (like the ones I really want).
Guess I'll have to try and log in from another location today and cringe at the mountain of junk mail that will be there after 4 days of not being able to access it
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Unbelievable, you are comparing infrastructure in Australia in 2013 with infrastructure in the UK 26 years ago, and you really think what you have now is better. Jeez, I don't know what else to say.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:18 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

For those wanting to dump garbage, the BCC transfer stations are staying open until 9pm (normally close at 5:45pm) and all dumping is free.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Unbelievable, you are comparing infrastructure in Australia in 2013 with infrastructure in the UK 26 years ago, and you really think what you have now is better. Jeez, I don't know what else to say.
No, I was comparing two of my personal experiences of managing during power outages. Believe it or not
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Our neighbours had a tree hit their power cable on sat night and as of tonight (thurs) they still have no power.....
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macy
Our neighbours had a tree hit their power cable on sat night and as of tonight (thurs) they still have no power.....
Where are you and your neighbour? The tree that caused our problem knocked out hundreds of homes, so there were a lot of people without power or water (everyone has tank water here). We even got a text message from the council telling us we could go to the community centre to get some food.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Their tree just knocked out their power, the whole street is ok just them. Their house became somewhat "live" on Saturday night when the plam tree came down in their front yard and hit their power cable, Energex were out in the street at 3am Sunday morning and up their ladders in the wind / cyclone disconnecting the remaing power to their house, they have had Energex vans assessing their house but as of this morning they still haven't been reconnected, nearly a week.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Their tree just knocked out their power, the whole street is ok just them. Their house became somewhat "live" on Saturday night when the plam tree came down in their front yard and hit their power cable, Energex were out in the street at 3am Sunday morning and up their ladders in the wind / cyclone disconnecting the remaing power to their house, they have had Energex vans assessing their house but as of this morning they still haven't been reconnected, nearly a week.
Are they close enough to your house to run an extension cable from your power? I mean a proper outdoor one.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbours who are lovely, have this clump of 15 metre high bamboo on their front bit, about a foot in from the nature strip. Last year when Energex tree distroyers came round they put a sign on it for Energex to leave it alone as it was on their ground. One bit came down Sunday night on the power line, whole thing was on fire.

Whole area was down anyway but not impressed. We were only without power for 28 hours and we have a generator for the fridge, tv, a couple of lights and a socket for charging mobiles so nothing to complain about. Way too dangerous for them to start fixing the lines before it. Shit happens, could have been way way worse for the vast majority of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.