Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you moved to Oz with your dog?

Have you moved to Oz with your dog?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:31 am
Just Joined

kirsty_rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have you moved to Oz with your dog?

Hey everyone,

I am applying for a job in Oz but I couldn't possibly accept it if I couldn't take my dog. has anyone else moved from the UK with their dog? If so, how bad was it, and are they really ok on such a long flight and in quarantine??

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:37 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Have you moved to Oz with your dog?

Originally Posted by kirsty_rex
Hey everyone,

I am applying for a job in Oz but I couldn't possibly accept it if I couldn't take my dog. has anyone else moved from the UK with their dog? If so, how bad was it, and are they really ok on such a long flight and in quarantine??

We shipped our German Shepherd over last year she is 7 and coped no problem, as she was long haired we got her clipped all over to help her cope with the heat.

We used http://airpets.com/ for the shipping
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Hi simba,

How did he go to the toilet / stretch his legs if he was on the plane for 24 hours though? I'm worried about the length of time. And didn't he miss you terribly in the 30 days quarantine?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:49 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Hi simba,

How did he go to the toilet / stretch his legs if he was on the plane for 24 hours though? I'm worried about the length of time. And didn't he miss you terribly in the 30 days quarantine?
We visited her in quarantine, she was very exicted to see us and when she finished quarantine and came to our house it did take her a while to settle but she's fine now.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Simba
We visited her in quarantine, she was very exicted to see us and when she finished quarantine and came to our house it did take her a while to settle but she's fine now.
Oh thanks Simba, that has reassured me somewhat. If I can visit him every few days hopefully he'll be fine. It will give me time to settle in as well. x
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Hey everyone,

Hi there, we moved 11 months ago with our dog Zara, she is 5 and is a black and tan collie X. We weren't able to visit her in quarantine as she was in Perth and we were in Adelaide and we were quite worried as they don;t exercise them for you although you can attend and exercise them. We also didnt think Zara would cope very well with us visiting and leaving her again and again. She came back to us a bit thinner but absolutely fine. She took a week or two to settle back in as seemed a bit worried we were going to disappear on her again. But we've been here 11 months now and she is absolutely fine, managing fine with the heat apart from when its over 40 which is not exactly normal.

In regard to travelling they don't feed them a lot before they go on the plane and they will try and toilet them before they are put into their travelling crates and dogs don't tend to want to toilet near their bedding. They are in such a confined space to make them feel more secure and if they toilet they will try to keep it to one area. I asked and was told she came out the other end clean and just fine but will never know whether or not this is true as you won;t see them until they get settled into quarantine.

I am so glad we brought her, to be honest we wouldn't have come without her. I really think she helped make us settled quicker.

Good luck and although it really is a worry until you have them back with you, it is definately worth it once it's all over and they are back with you safe and sound.

Nikki
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:07 pm

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/pets.asp

take a look on this site hope it helps you
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

We brought our Yorkshire Terrier 'Archie' over in Feb this year with Petair.He was in quarantine in Melbourne and we are in Adelaide so couldnt visit him.He was absolutely fine,appeared to have been looked after and came to us as though we had left him for the day when we collected him from melbourne.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
We brought our Yorkshire Terrier 'Archie' over in Feb this year with Petair.He was in quarantine in Melbourne and we are in Adelaide so couldnt visit him.He was absolutely fine,appeared to have been looked after and came to us as though we had left him for the day when we collected him from melbourne.
Oh thanks, you have both made me feel much better. one final question! I will only be working for a year or so and will probably then want to return to the UK, I won't have to put him in quarantine for 6 months will I???
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:16 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks, you have both made me feel much better. one final question! I will only be working for a year or so and will probably then want to return to the UK, I won't have to put him in quarantine for 6 months will I???
Check on the internet in case I'm wrong but I believe there is no quarantine when going from Aus to UK as long as they haven't been out of Aus to any other countries within 6 months
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

You need to get him a rabies jab and then one month later get a clear blood test showing he has the correct antibodies. These need to be logged in an official pet passport (all of this can be done by your vet and info is available on the UK DEFRA website). Once you have this done you can bring the dog back into the UK with no quarrantine after 6 months has elapsed
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Olias
You need to get him a rabies jab and then one month later get a clear blood test showing he has the correct antibodies. These need to be logged in an official pet passport (all of this can be done by your vet and info is available on the UK DEFRA website). Once you have this done you can bring the dog back into the UK with no quarrantine after 6 months has elapsed
Sorry if I'm being dumb but I don't understand what you mean! I can bring him back with the jabs and passport after 6 months has elapsed? since he had the jabs?? so as long as i get the jabs, can he come back straight away with me?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Why apply for a job in Oz, and only for 1 year or slightly longer?

Have you got a VISA ?

What financial gain, would you get from such a short stay, im sure the experience would be great, but why do it?

Everyone has reasons, im just the muggins who asks the obvious !
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Why apply for a job in Oz, and only for 1 year or slightly longer?

Have you got a VISA ?

What financial gain, would you get from such a short stay, im sure the experience would be great, but why do it?

Everyone has reasons, im just the muggins who asks the obvious !
Why not? Oz are crying out for Brits in the job that I do (and no I won't tell you!) so the company that i'll be working for (a UK company with an Oz office) will sponsor me and sort my visa out etc, and pay me a reloaction package. I don't really think a year is a short stay, and that is definitely enough to make some serious cash. The economy in the UK is affecting my earnings, and what with the higher Oz basic salary on offer, it will be financially viable. Also, i love to travel. i went around Asia last year and stopped in Sydney briefly and I'm young enough to have a great experience before I have to settle down in the UK - I'm 21! Hope that answers your questions......
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Sorry if I'm being dumb but I don't understand what you mean! I can bring him back with the jabs and passport after 6 months has elapsed? since he had the jabs?? so as long as i get the jabs, can he come back straight away with me?
Hi,

basically you have him jabbed for rabies - he is tested I think 1 month later to check he has the antibodies produced. This can be done in the UK or Oz ( although IMO it is easier in UK. Then 6 months after a positive test he would be eligible to return to UK with no quarantine.

eg if you had hime jabbed then positively tested 4 months prior to returning from Oz he would have to do 2 months quarrantine in UK to make up the six months since positive test (if that makes sense)

Your best bet is to get him jabbed and positively tested and all this recorded on a UK pet passport prior to going to Oz (make sure the jab is something like NOBIVAC which lasts three years before a booster is needed or else you will have to worry/remember to get a booster in Oz if it is a one year vaccination.

If you search the UK DEFRA website and search the site for 'pet passport' you will find all the info you need (sorry can't remember the exact web details)

Any trouble an ask the vet - any reputable one should be able to clarify the above

Hope this helps!

And yes 6 months after a positive blood test he can come back immediately with you with no quarantine

Last edited by Olias; Apr 4th 2008 at 11:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.