Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

I have seen a lot of Australia. The Kimberly is very good place to go a lot more people up there these days than when my parents were there. The tides are enormous up there.

I think that every place has beauty if you stay there for a while.

My favourite place in Aus is Tasmania for its size and ease of getting around and the scenery.

We like to head off into the country.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:56 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've seen a bit....

I worked in Darwin for a while and explored down as far as Katherine.

I've travelled the full length of Qld (well from Cape Tribulation south anyway) stopping in Cairns several times, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Bundaberg.

I've driven down BNE-SYD many times both up and down the coast and inland. I've ski'd in the Victorian highlands and visited Melbourne a couple of times and have had a week in Perth & Freemantle...

I've also spent a few days driving around NZ north island and a few days visiting NZ south island (seriously need to get back there at some point)

I havent yet got down to Tassie, seen anything of South Australia or really headed inland enough to get past 'cattle grazing' country and into real 'outback' - but all these things will happen eventually.

As others have said with fewer holidays here than back home and bigger distances involved its tough to get away from whatever corner you live in - and with many of us using valuable holiday time for trips back home to see family its even harder to make any dent in looking around this contintent.

How many UK residents have taken the time to thoroughly explore the width and breadth of the whole of Europe?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we have visited a few spots:

Ningaloo reef and Coral Bay
Perth :Margaret River, Swan valley etc
Alice Springs: Ulhuru, King's Canyon
Coober Pedy
Riverina
Sydney and Blue Mountains
Lakes Entrance
Brisbane
Cairns and Great barrier Reef
Townsville
Darwin and loop down to Katherine.
Plus lots of spots around Melbourne,

So we have covered a fair bit of ground
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

Originally Posted by juddy
Just wondered how many people who have decided to make Australia there home, have made the time and effort to, get out and see the real Austrailia?
I've had a ride on Bazza's Beer Bus. We got as far as Hindley Street.

Does that count?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

travelled about 32,000 K's on 2 to road trips so far. From Adelaide to Darwin and back, then Adelaide to Cape York and back. We love the outback and go as remote as we can as often as we can. It's amazing out there.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered how many people who have decided to make Australia there home, have made the time and effort to, get out and see the real Austrailia?, I dont mean Sydney Melbourne etc, there just citys, but more so the true outback, meeting local people and getting to know some of the history???

I ask as i was very supprised when talking to a number of local English friends, that they had never been any where, and had more UK friends than Australian friends, and were still very English in there ways...

Great thread

How true is the sentiment echoed. Last week I was just thinking we've been here a year and haven't yet seen all of Sydney!!

And talk about being 5 mins (literally!) away from the beach and yet hardly been there.

Caught a mate at work with a tan and asked where did he go and it turned out that after 6 months being in Sydney, he made it to a beach for once!

How folks back home think we lay on the beach and swim every afternoon and yet for some of us, how untrue this is!!

We decided with my mate to consciously make every Sunday to visit a new beach!

Beach towel anyone??
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Well, my girlfriend and I arrived here in Perth in September after having visited for a month at a time over consecutive years from 2002 to 2004. Each time we bought a banger of a car and just drove. The first time was from Perth to Sydney in 2002 in a $500 Datsun Bluebird bought from a car yard. A few worries but no major problems!! 2003 was from Melbourne to Darwin in a big budget $900 1985 Mitsubishi Magna (which we sold in Darwin for $1000!). We even went off road for 450 ks up the Oodnadatta track to see some pioneer country on that trip. Our little car even got 'salutes' from the rare passing truckers we saw on the sandy and pitted track. And 3rd was our trip down the east coast from Cairns to Sydney in 2004. A fantastic trip in a by now customary less than a $1000 vehicle. It did help that my father had driven across Australia, and indeed all the way round the world in a car far less suitable for the roads of his time in 1960, and had taught me the basics of travelling on a micro budget plus his mechanical know how! www.yallop.net . Last December we visited once more to drive from Perth to Broome, this time in the luxury of a hired camper van! We are by no measure well off but had set aside a budget for our plans and just saved. In each instance, our air tickets from UK equalled our travelling budget. We decided after many 1000's of k's of exploring, that we just loved the place! Having said that, I can't see why anyone arriving for the first time to see this amazing, vast country and its people (new and old) for the first time, should not be able to make a go of it. After all, most of the folk who arrived here over 100 years ago did not have the luxury of holiday beforehand, and they had no where near the mod cons of today.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 12:22 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Syedney
Great thread

How true is the sentiment echoed. Last week I was just thinking we've been here a year and haven't yet seen all of Sydney!!

And talk about being 5 mins (literally!) away from the beach and yet hardly been there.

Caught a mate at work with a tan and asked where did he go and it turned out that after 6 months being in Sydney, he made it to a beach for once!

How folks back home think we lay on the beach and swim every afternoon and yet for some of us, how untrue this is!!

We decided with my mate to consciously make every Sunday to visit a new beach!

Beach towel anyone??
l go swimming at the beach most days during summer, but l live in the country near a nice beach that l usually have pity much to myself , if l lived in a city and had to drive through all the traffic to get to a crowded beach l probably would'nt go much either.

Last edited by mohogony; Dec 24th 2009 at 12:25 am.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I have seen a lot of Australia. The Kimberly is very good place to go a lot more people up there these days than when my parents were there. The tides are enormous up there.

I think that every place has beauty if you stay there for a while.

My favourite place in Aus is Tasmania for its size and ease of getting around and the scenery.

We like to head off into the country.
I've spent vast amounts of time in Tassie wandering around backpacking - gorgeous scenery, and so tranquil. There are loads of other bits of Aus I'd like to see - and hopefully will get to see one day, places like Coober Pedy, Alice, Darwin, Ulhuru, Kings Canyon, Kakadu, but I don't think any of them will ever match up to Tasmania. Time I went back for another fix methinks......
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

bigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nice

I bought a large map of Australia when i arrived so I could mark off all the places I visited as I went along. Pinned up on my dining room wall so I can mark off any places i still want to visit also.
Have done most of what I wanted to do with my favourite trip being a 22 day 4wd tour from Perth to Darwin sleeping in swags and visiting places like Tom Price,Marble Bar and Bungle Bungles. Have been from Adelaide to Darwin and onto Kakadu,drove from Alice Springs to Uluru. Spent some time in Katherine which is a place I really liked.
Have seen most of Victoria as try to get away for long weekends at least every 6 weeks. Drove from Melbourne to Broken Hill, Adelaide and Sydney (in different trips).
Seen pretty much what I want to see on the East Coast but would like to do a trip from either Townsville or Rockhampton to Darwin,via Mount Isa.
Heading to Tasmania mid Feb and then want to do the South West loop of Perth,Albany,Esperance and Kalgoorlie at some point later in the year.

Some great sights to see and interesting little towns to stop all over the country
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered how many people who have decided to make Australia there home, have made the time and effort to, get out and see the real Austrailia?, I dont mean Sydney Melbourne etc, there just citys, but more so the true outback, meeting local people and getting to know some of the history???

I ask as i was very supprised when talking to a number of local English friends, that they had never been any where, and had more UK friends than Australian friends, and were still very English in there ways...
Actually know a few from abroad who like as travelled around the country decades ago before settling as what is termed backpackers. Great way to get to know aspects of Australia,distance places etc but found many have only limited exeriences with Aussies as the back packer world is rather self contained.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
I did before I moved here! Same old story..............work, lack of money then too much work, lack of time!

I think we visited half a dozen times before we moved and did Barrier Reef, Brissie, Uluru, Alice, a trip round SW corner of WA and since we moved here a few trips to Sydney to visit friends and that's it.

We did do a 2 month trip around WA when we first arrived and thank goodness we did it then otherwise we'd have never had done it!

Being self-employed we though - ah have a few days here and there to go adventuring but then to begin with we were pretty skint and now we're quite busy so no time and then when we do have plenty of time it will probably mean we are skint again....viscious circle forming here!

At some point we really want to take a year out and go round Oz in a 4x4 or camper or something.

I have to say to anyone do make sure you get to visit the outback as it is truely awesome (as they say around here) the colours of the red earth and the blue sky, the twisted trees, dry river beds and just the vastness of it all together with being in the middle of nowhere is just.....awesome!

But it's the same wherever you live, I never been to half of the UK and I know lots of Aussies who have never seen anything of their country!
A number of Aussies wait untill they retire then become grey nomads..taking a year or whatever to go around the country.
Doesn't appear to be so many younger ones doing Oz these days as there were in times past..apart of course from international backpackers.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
Well, i work in the out back in exploration and afraid to say, that after the initial "wow the Oz outback" and a load of pictures i realised that it is the most boring countryside on the planet.
a not too uncommon observation...in small doses though or first timers it can be a novelty.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:22 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by verystormy
Well, i work in the out back in exploration and afraid to say, that after the initial "wow the Oz outback" and a load of pictures i realised that it is the most boring countryside on the planet.
l agree most of the outback has boring scenery but theres no where else like it in the world, where else has an Ayres rock. but many other parts of the country have spectacular scenery, such as Tasmania, someone mentioned. l've been there, it must have some of the best uspoilt wilderness and scenery in the world.

Last edited by mohogony; Dec 24th 2009 at 4:25 am.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mohogony
l agree most of the outback has boring scenery but theres no where else like it in the world, where else has an Ayres rock. but many other parts of the country have spectacular scenery, such as Tasmania, someone mentioned. l've been there, it must have some of the best uspoilt wilderness and scenery in the world.
Actually Namibia bears a resimbalance to Oz as does South Africa