Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you lived in Canada and Oz? If so, what did you like/dislike about each?

Have you lived in Canada and Oz? If so, what did you like/dislike about each?

Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future
Default Have you lived in Canada and Oz? If so, what did you like/dislike about each?

With the ever increasing timelines on our Canadian visa application and the pressing need for us to decide where our lives are going over the next 12 months, I was wondering how may people have lived in both Canada and Oz. We keep thinking that maybe Aus will be a better option in terms of careers etc but then coming back round to Canada, mainly due to the high cost of living in Oz currently and the distance. Weather isn't really a factor to be honest as we would be happy with either.

If you have had experience of living in both what were the pros and cons for each in your opinion (not including the obvious weather differences). How did things like cost of living, housing quality, schooling, acceptance of migrants, and career prospects differ?

Look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers

Woz
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Have you lived in Canada and Oz? If so, what did you like/dislike about each?

cost of living is lower in canada and i thoroughly loved living in vancouver and calgary - i also did 6 months in banff which was nice too. i came home (im an aussie) due to better working conditions and more money.... in hindsight i wish i were still over there - i was and am attracted to the proximity to the US and the fact it's "different" to what I grew up with here in Oz.

both countries have expensive property but overall canada is marginally cheaper but you earn less... you also have less annual leave, less public holidays, less superannuation/pension...

despite that, i'd move back in a heart beat if i could earn aussie equivalent wages in my industry.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you lived in Canada and Oz? If so, what did you like/dislike about each?

Originally Posted by woz718
With the ever increasing timelines on our Canadian visa application and the pressing need for us to decide where our lives are going over the next 12 months, I was wondering how may people have lived in both Canada and Oz. We keep thinking that maybe Aus will be a better option in terms of careers etc but then coming back round to Canada, mainly due to the high cost of living in Oz currently and the distance. Weather isn't really a factor to be honest as we would be happy with either.

If you have had experience of living in both what were the pros and cons for each in your opinion (not including the obvious weather differences). How did things like cost of living, housing quality, schooling, acceptance of migrants, and career prospects differ?

Look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers

Woz
Very common question really - have a read of these to give you a start

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699035
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739260
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I was born in Canada (Vancouver) and am British citizen also. I'm gonna give Australia a go, but if it doesn't work out I will go back to Canada..

Canada appears to be slightly cheaper living expenses wise. But as mentioned the property isn't usually cheaper and the wages are lower..
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:28 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

No,but i've had a near death experience,does that count
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent a few weeks in BC with friends. Almost 6 weeks, all over USA and then just BC in Canada.

Job losses, pay freezes or cuts seem to be as common as OZ. But house prices in Vancouver up 14% bizzare situation.

Cost of living is not as cheap as it used to be slightly cheaper than OZ as others have said - wages low.

A far more polite respectful society, but plenty of crime like anywhere.

Weather was a huge plus for us, the UV factor, you can go outside basically without risking melanoma.

Traffic anywhere near vancouver - a nightmare.

Residents have same gripes as anywhere, taxes, big moan, referendums, big moan, roads big moan, jobs, pay big moan, as I said same anywhere

USA was much much cheaper than BC - which is obviously not indicative of all of canada. Everyone we saw was opening Xmas shopping from the USA, Quite weird, dollars at parity, yet a $40 item in USA would be $60 in Canada.

The immense diversity of North America is what appeals to me, plus the cooler climate. Its no magic bullet, its got all the probs and some of anywhere.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 7th 2012 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to say because both countries are essentially conglomerates of vastly different regions. Living in Vancouver is nothing like living in Regina or out east. Same thing with Australia--no one would say that Sydney and Perth are similar.

We're from Canada and have been in Australia for over two years now. If climate really isn't a consideration (rare to have someone with no preference whatsoever--we were partly motivated by the wish to live somewhere that didn't have cold and snow for at least five months of the year), then you have to look realistically at finances. Wages are (generally) higher here as mentioned, but cost of living is as well (I get reverse sticker shock going back to Canada and seeing how cheap everything is in comparison).

if you want to visit family and friends back in the UK, it will be cheaper and shorter flying times from Canada.

Housing quality...well, at least Canadians know what insulation is. Schooling...I thought they were satisfactory, but being Canadian and having come through the system myself makes me biased obviously.

Good luck with your decision.