Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you or Havnt you got a Pool??

View Poll Results: Have you got a Pool?
Yes
59.18%
No
35.37%
In process of building one/buying house with one!!
5.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Have you or Havnt you got a Pool??

Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you or Havnt you got a Pool??

We have a pool and the kids are in it most days. Definitely would have another if we moved, although now the kids have a wish list.........deep enough for a spring board.............mm.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:24 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tyke
It is my pride and joy.

I must admit that during our reccie trips we were told not to have a pool as they were so much work.
We caved in after a year.
Pools are not that much work - if you keep up with them.Parts are bloody expensive though!!
I suppose the good thing is that we work from home so keeping up with it ( and playing in it) is not a real prob.
Recently we had a first year celebration of the renal business and invited all our guests past and present for a BBQ.
We had 30 + kids in the pool - great to see em' all having fun.
Strangely afterwards the pool was a lot cloudier and saltier........
Working from home sounds good too ... I guess the big thing with us is that we are on tank water with no bore so that adds another dimension of cost (filling it and topping it up, I guess ...).

We will get another big tank eventually but all in good time.

I can certainly see the appeal if, as you say, you keep on top of the maintenance. We seem to have enough on our plates keeping a few acres mowed ...

My daughter has been going for swimming lessons since she was a year old and swimming is guaranteed to put her in a good mood ... worth a few bob I'd say

Cheers,
Matt
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:29 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I did that for about 18 months, you start to become a strange hermit after a while

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Working from home sounds good too ...
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:29 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Working from home sounds good too ... I guess the big thing with us is that we are on tank water with no bore so that adds another dimension of cost (filling it and topping it up, I guess ...).

We will get another big tank eventually but all in good time.

I can certainly see the appeal if, as you say, you keep on top of the maintenance. We seem to have enough on our plates keeping a few acres mowed ...

My daughter has been going for swimming lessons since she was a year old and swimming is guaranteed to put her in a good mood ... worth a few bob I'd say

Cheers,
Matt
Water is a problem,evaporation is a huge problem.The evap rate here in SA is 6ft per year!!!!
I am always topping our pool up at this time of year.

You are going to have to have plenty of water tanks.

I'm chief gardener here too,keeping up with the gardens/pool and olive grove is nearly a full time job in itself.

Working from home is good - we downsized from our UK business ( it was all the life we had),so we are Sea Changers??

Won't bore you with details but let's just say we are having a "Second and slower paced life"
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:32 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
I did that for about 18 months, you start to become a strange hermit after a while
Must admit that there is not as much social interaction.
Also living on acreage does keeps you a little distant.

We worked in retail but our lives were our business.Not much time for family and friends.Nice to catch up with ourselves for now.
Have some plans in the back ground that may change our situation again.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:35 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think people who say that have never had one, or they stick loads of trees round the pool and spend forever pulling out dead bits of tree.

We have had one for 5 years and not had to do much to it, just add some acid once a week and salt when needed.

To be honest most of the time is spent fishing out toys our 2 year old throws in

And as you can see from the pic the kids love it nearly as much as flushing stuff down the loo

I must admit that during our reccie trips we were told not to have a pool as they were so much work.
Attached Thumbnails Have you or Havnt you got a Pool??-p9162639s.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:38 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Water is a problem,evaporation is a huge problem.The evap rate here in SA is 6ft per year!!!!
I am always topping our pool up at this time of year.

You are going to have to have plenty of water tanks.

I'm chief gardener here too,keeping up with the gardens/pool and olive grove is nearly a full time job in itself.

Working from home is good - we downsized from our UK business ( it was all the life we had),so we are Sea Changers??

Won't bore you with details but let's just say we are having a "Second and slower paced life"
6 feet! Yoinks!

I'll make another BIG tank a prerequisite then, we don't seem to have a problem keeping our main tank full at the moment so hopefully this will continue.

The wife is big on the veggie patch so I think we are in pretty much the same situation.

I understand the slower pace thing (commuted to London ... hell), it would be nice to put this into practice but my life seems to go at pretty much the same pace whatever environment I'm in, must be my natural pace ... or my wife's
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:40 pm
In New Yorshire

I think people who say that have never had one, or they stick loads of trees round the pool and spend forever pulling out dead bits of tree.

We have had one for 5 years and not had to do much to it, just add some acid once a week and salt when needed.

To be honest most of the time is spent fishing out toys our 2 year old throws in

And as you can see from the pic the kids love it nearly as much as flushing stuff down the loo
That's a lovely picture
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:51 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

we've got one, but we are on a steep learning curve at the minute re keeping on top of it. we did have a guy come round a couple of times, and he did try to explain to O/H. we have now bought a 4 in 1 tester kit, used it yesterday, and it says that we need bromine (?), and 250ml acid. we only put some acid in last week/10 days ago. i dont know whether we are doing things right. after we put the acid in last week, when the kids were in it, their actions caused a bit of foam. there has been no eye stinging etc, it just seemed strange, as it hadnt happened before. it seems clear enough.

the kids and O/H love it by the way
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
we've got one, but we are on a steep learning curve at the minute re keeping on top of it. we did have a guy come round a couple of times, and he did try to explain to O/H. we have now bought a 4 in 1 tester kit, used it yesterday, and it says that we need bromine (?), and 250ml acid. we only put some acid in last week/10 days ago. i dont know whether we are doing things right. after we put the acid in last week, when the kids were in it, their actions caused a bit of foam. there has been no eye stinging etc, it just seemed strange, as it hadnt happened before. it seems clear enough.

When we had our pool put in, the guy that came to show us what to do also does pool maintenance, so we pay him around $50 once a month and he comes and sorts it out.............$50 well spent I say, all we have to do is enjoy it.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:30 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep,we have one.We had it built in our first year here.
We are not regular beach people but love a dip.

We had a fantastic pool builder, we found him after getting quotes from every pool builder in Adelaide.
He was the only one who suggested a more natural looking pool that fitted into the land we have.The rest wanted a rectangular "quick" job.

We use it often - even if I'm just gardening I'll have a quick jump in - remembering to take wallet and mobile out of pants

Great for when we have a few around - keeps the kids very happy.
Fabulous for keeping visiting rellies happy as well.

Not too bad on maintainance,just make sure levels are right.
No shortage of water for it as we have a water bore
i like your pool. we had one in this house when we moved in it's a bit old....pools are not a popular as they used to be and spas and hot tubs are taking over.....for me having my own swimming pool has been a dream all my life...I've always loved swimming.....me and my mum (who's on hols from UK) were in it last night floating and looking up at the stars........it's worth it!!!
i actually enjoy the maintenance it's therapeutic and in the winter i long for when i can swim again...the best buy for us has been a pool blanket which has increased the swimming season and makes it "really warm" with predicted temps in the high 30's and being on holiday for this week i am going to really make the most of it

our new years ritual is diving in the pool at midnight
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:31 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
When we had our pool put in, the guy that came to show us what to do also does pool maintenance, so we pay him around $50 once a month and he comes and sorts it out.............$50 well spent I say, all we have to do is enjoy it.
thats what we thought, the guy lives around the corner, a nice guy etc, and he doesnt charge much. but, it is money we could without spending, so we are trying to do it ourselves (we use him as back up ). i dont know if we are doing it right? he hasnt mentioned bromine, so it's a new one on us.....
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:34 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

We tried the home testing kit but now just take a water sample to the local pool shop - they test it for free and tell you what you need to add, they also keep a record of your results and give advice. I find that easy - my OH likes tinkering with the pool so no need to have regular maintenance guy.

We use our pool loads (although not in the current heavy rain/wind!) - fantastic for the kids and great when they have friends over.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Yep,we have one.We had it built in our first year here.
We are not regular beach people but love a dip.

We had a fantastic pool builder, we found him after getting quotes from every pool builder in Adelaide.
He was the only one who suggested a more natural looking pool that fitted into the land we have.The rest wanted a rectangular "quick" job.

We use it often - even if I'm just gardening I'll have a quick jump in - remembering to take wallet and mobile out of pants

Great for when we have a few around - keeps the kids very happy.
Fabulous for keeping visiting rellies happy as well.

Not too bad on maintainance,just make sure levels are right.
No shortage of water for it as we have a water bore
your pool is lovely.

kids - pool.
no kids - spa.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:49 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We were at an Aussie friends yesterday and just chatting like you do, we were talking about having a pool and that this was part of the "Oz Experience" for us, they have other english mates also all with pools (they dont have one) and were of the opinion that "all" brits have a pool, which I know isnt true, but just wondered how many of us do in comparision to those that dont!!
We are building one as part of our subdivision project. We have one child (4) and another on the way. The pool will be out of bounds for them unless we are around. The first one can swim unaided but at that age still need strict supervision as kids being kids do stupid (or attempt) things.

Occupying children during school hols and for them to really practise their swimming - as no swimming no boat for me.

Auto clean facilities seems a better idea too me than mowing the lawn - especially in todays heat.

The pool is also part of self cooling for the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.