British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Have you or Havnt you got a Pool?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/have-you-havnt-you-got-pool-502348/)

Sham Williams Dec 30th 2007 7:47 am

Have you or Havnt you got a Pool??

We were at an Aussie friends yesterday and just chatting like you do, we were talking about having a pool and that this was part of the "Oz Experience" for us, they have other english mates also all with pools (they dont have one) and were of the opinion that "all" brits have a pool, which I know isnt true, but just wondered how many of us do in comparision to those that dont!!

moneypenny20 Dec 30th 2007 7:50 am

Re: Have you or Havnt you got a Pool??

I guess those that can afford to have one, have one. Those that can't, don't. It is part of what British people perceive to be the 'Australian Dream' but I think many come over with little equity and others are happy to rent a house without one.

walaj Dec 30th 2007 8:15 am

We have one - I was not bothered if we bought with or without as the location is more important (and there is a public one within walking distance) but we did not have the luxury of plenty of places to choose from within budget in the location.

Although saying I was not bothered, I am glad we have a pool as I took time out this arvo to swim a few laps then play with the kids in the pool (great way to tire them out)

Compared to the pool where we rented, I much prefer ours as it gets more sun (north-ish rather than west facing) & has solar heating too

cresta57 Dec 30th 2007 8:15 am

We don't have one & have no desire to live in a house with one. I'm happy with the spa on the deck, I get to use it 365 days a year instead of a few months. Where we live a pool isn't a selling point as none of the homes are on reticulated water & it's a renown dry area.

Glasgowlass Dec 30th 2007 8:24 am

I don't have one and wouldn't get one with small kids. Maybe later.

Wendy Dec 30th 2007 8:38 am

We have one - but it wasn't our 'dream' to buy a house with one in. The house we bought just happened to have one, but it was more the location of the house to school, shops, bus routes etc that swayed us to buy this house.

I am glad we have one now though, it's great for the kids. They are in it loads, and have been for months - but we have a cover and solar heating.

I agree with the previous poster though and don't think I'd have bought a house with a pool if I'd have had younger kids.

tracey.d Dec 30th 2007 8:41 am

before we came over I didnt think we would have one and didnt mind. But, I have just had one put in and am so glad I did. I haven't been in it yet but the kids are in it a lot, even my 17 year old goes in and I didnt think she'd bother.

It's good for when freinds come over with the kids they can all just pile in. Its great :thumbsup:

walaj Dec 30th 2007 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5718801)
I agree with the previous poster though and don't think I'd have bought a house with a pool if I'd have had younger kids.

Ours are 1 & 3 - one year old can't walk or open doors yet, and the 3 year old has it drummed into her she can't go to the pool by herself, that it it is dangerous to do so etc, plus I will lock the flyscreen so she can't even open the door to go out without me.

It is like the driveway (drummed into her it is not a place to play) as plenty of kids die there too - teaching what is acceptable and not and being there/other precautions when she does not listen to me.

Centurion Dec 30th 2007 9:07 am

I do, but I certainly would not even think about bothering in the future and would prefer NOT to have one. Instead a nice spa that I could use year around as mentioned above would be the go.

Glasgowlass Dec 30th 2007 9:14 am

Originally Posted by walaj (Post 5718878)
Ours are 1 & 3 - one year old can't walk or open doors yet, and the 3 year old has it drummed into her she can't go to the pool by herself, that it it is dangerous to do so etc, plus I will lock the flyscreen so she can't even open the door to go out without me.

It is like the driveway (drummed into her it is not a place to play) as plenty of kids die there too - teaching what is acceptable and not and being there/other precautions when she does not listen to me.

That's absolutely a great way to go but they don't always do what they've been told at that age even when they've had it drummed in day after day. My wee one's are 1 & 3 as well. The best laid plans and all that.:)

eddie007 Dec 30th 2007 9:22 am

We rent with... for $270 per week.... and don't want to be without one now... the kids spend all day everyday in it... come home from school and dive in, come home from church and dive in, even come home from the beach and can't help but dive in....

life sucks....;)

Wendy Dec 30th 2007 9:39 am

Originally Posted by walaj (Post 5718878)

I think my youngest would have been OK as she does listen to us about things like that - however my older boys would have been a nightmare and would have done it cos I said no :sneaky:

I remember my Dad had a fish tank and it had a loose wire, I must have told my lad a million times 'don't touch that it will hurt you' - did he listen, NO! he went and touched it anyway. Got to say though, he didn't touch it again :D He was 4 at the time.

cranni Dec 30th 2007 10:02 am

1 Attachment(s)
We love our pool, its great.
When we emigrated we promised the kids a pool and a puppy,
We had to keep our promise.
As soon as we built the pool went in,
Its great when we have parties. Maybe when kids leave home we will get a spa. We can use ours most of the year, we have solar and the blanket also.
Here are pics, hubby made a waterfall, which the kids love.
Denise

Streaks Dec 30th 2007 10:10 am

yep, I can't imagine not having one now and we've only had it since September. We've used it almost daily as we have solar and blanket aswell.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nerine Dec 30th 2007 10:26 am

Our rental has a saltwater pool and the kids are in it everyday, at night too. When it comes to buying a place we'll certainly be looking for a pool, or space to put one in. A spa would also be good :D