British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Have you got an Ozzie accent yet? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/have-you-got-ozzie-accent-yet-293441/)

podgypossum Mar 31st 2005 11:29 am

Re: Have you got an Ozzie accent yet?

I am told i have quite a strange accent these days. Firstly i come from London. Then i lived in NZ for 2yrs (and also married to a kiwi)
Now that i am here in Adelaide, my job involves talking to people on the phone all day long. This has now resulted in a muich stronger accent developing. I didnt do this consciously at first but after a while realised it made my job a hell of a lot easier as the Aussies understood me better.
One very amusing thing though, i find that if a pom from London phones up i inadvertently use my London accent, and my colleagues laugh as they pick up on it straight away and say they can't understand a word i'm talking about. :D

brisnick Mar 31st 2005 11:32 am

i've been told that when i talk to my mum in the uk, my accent shifts to sound more english too.

Originally Posted by podgypossum
i find that if a pom from London phones up i inadvertently use my London accent, and my colleagues laugh as they pick up on it straight away and say they can't understand a word i'm talking about. :D

Ceri Mar 31st 2005 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by cadman
Having just read the thread about ozzie words different to ours I wondered for those out there:

1. Do you get an aussie accent eventually? My cous and her fella still have scottish accents 6 years after going to Oz (their kids have full-on aussie accents even though they were born in scotland)

2. Do you sound stupid using the aussie phrases and expressions in a non-aussie accent? or do you put on a bit of an aussie twang when saying them e.g. I feel obliged to say "g'day mate" in an australian accent wherever I am!

Cadman.

Australians know I'm not an Aussie ( been here for 8 years), but they can never put their finger on my accent ( been accused of most nationalities here scottish, Irish the usual ,then from S.African to even an American once lol - strange one that) - I don't have a really strong Welsh accent today, been out of Wales for 13 years. And yet my parents and friends back home reckon I and my hubby have an Aussie twang. My accent changes I do know that - I can hear myself doing it, but can do nothing to stop it . Take for instance one week back home I revert back to my old Welsh accent. I used to do it with my grandmother too ( who had rife old Irish accent unlike my mum, who's softer spoken and all but lost hers) . It depends who I'm talking to.

Children pick up accents very easily as they are still developing and spend most of their waking hours in school and with friends. Adults don't. I can spot an English, Irish, Socttish or Welsh twang a mile off here in Aus, even from the old timers who have been here 30 years plus - there is always a twang of their old accent. I've yet to come across any adult who completely loses their Uk accents , they may they think they do themselves, but you can spot it a mile off where they are from.
People in the UK always think you pick up an Aussie twang, which you do to their ears, but in Aus you don't sound like a true Aussie to the Australians.

:)

madsad Mar 31st 2005 12:25 pm

We have been here 9 wks now,My 7yr old daughters accent changed very quickly,she had a friend already here & Dani copied the way she spoke,which was extreemly irritating at first! Im still at the stage where im telling Dani to speak properly!!
My youngest (3) has the aussie twang in her voice probably listening to her sister & being at Kindy.

I very much doubt Andrew,hubby or myself will sound like an aussie in the future.

Yesterday was the first time anyone has actually reconised my scots accent,its usually are you Irish? :eek: are you English & just about everywhere else except Scotland!

Since when did a Scots accent sound anything like an Irish one :confused: :mad: !!

Donna.

Ceri Mar 31st 2005 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by madsad
Yesterday was the first time anyone has actually reconised my scots accent,its usually are you Irish? :eek: are you English & just about everywhere else except Scotland!

Since when did a Scots accent sound anything like an Irish one :confused: :mad: !!

Donna.

Try and speak with a Welsh accent , and you may get called Scottish then by the aussies like myself Lol :D I get the opposite to you- mostly Scottish and Irish, then S African, then Kiwi then that odd one a yank ( sound nothing like an american I don't think :scared: lol) , but never Welsh - they must think the Welsh speak like this " helllooo boyo, right then, like mun" lol ( don't think I've been accused of English yet - only in Asia but that's because they haven't got a clue on Uk accents most of them, but never here have I been accused of English) - It's mostly only other Welsh people who spot my accent.

hevs Mar 31st 2005 1:10 pm

My english relies say i sound aussie, the Aussies ask me where a bouts i'm from in England :rolleyes:

I use heaps of Aussie termenology though :(and i don't put it on, it just kinda happens)

The kids both have a twang but loose it on the walk down the hill from school:)

Un-Co May 9th 2005 3:52 pm

OMG! Hunted this thread down because someone I've been talking to for work on an almost daily basis only just realised I'm English after 3 months!!! :eek: I've been here nealy 3 years now and my other half occasionally picks up on certain sentences and says I sound Australian but I thought he was winding me up. Am going to have to put some pebbles in my mouth and preactice elocution Hoooow-Nooow-Brooown -Coow ;)

renth May 9th 2005 4:11 pm

Two years down the track my accent hasn't changed, the kids have an Aussie twang but for some inexplicable reason my wife is now talking with a West Country accent??? Go figure.

Badge May 9th 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ceri
People in the UK always think you pick up an Aussie twang, which you do to their ears, but in Aus you don't sound like a true Aussie to the Australians.

:)

\this is the long and short of it.

Stronger accents defo stay around longer like north, midlands, brummie, scots. A cockney from London would be the first to lose an English accent.

As I've said before what changes is your diction and pace, not accent anyhow. I have a theory that Aussies call English whinging partly because their accents sounds more of a 'worry' - they speak quicker, they are more direct and harsh so its all a misunderstanding.

My first year, I didn't see an English person for 9 months and I found myself
almost bewildered by the pace of English speaking people when I went back to Sydney.

Badge

badge

Ceri May 9th 2005 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Badge
\t

My first year, I didn't see an English person for 9 months

badge

ahh there is a heaven then :D
(sorry I just could not resist it, it was the voices in my head that made me say it lol )

Badge May 9th 2005 5:38 pm

ahh there is a heaven then :D
(sorry I just could not resist it, it was the voices in my head that made me say it lol )

I thought the same actually.. :D

Badge

Siren & Brian May 9th 2005 5:54 pm

Firstly, I had a Canadian accent to begin with (which I've been told is a very soft accent) and I've been here just over a year now.

I'm married to an Aussie with 2 Aussie step-children and I work on the phone all day with west-aussies. I've picked up a lot of aussie slang from association (No worries, cheers, ta, etc...)

People ask me all the time if I'm Irish!!

My daughter has a bit of an aussie accent (that I don't hear but my mother tells me it's so) My son is a full on aussie now... it's rare that he sounds anything but Australian (he's the youngest and tried to sound like his mates at school.)

My step children tell me that though they REALLY noticed my accent in the beginning, now they think I sound normal. I don't know if that means I sound Australian or if they are just used to the way I talk.

Recently, a friend told me that I used to sound really Canadian (He's British) but now he feels like he's listening to an episode of Eastenders when we speak...LOL

Draw your own conclusions :p

Siren

gogdownunder May 9th 2005 5:55 pm

Try and speak with a Welsh accent , and you may get called Scottish then by the aussies like myself Lol :D

I speak Welsh with a Welsh accent & Australian with an Australian accent :beer:

Go Banana's !! May 9th 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Recently, a friend told me that I used to sound really Canadian (He's British) but now he feels like he's listening to an episode of Eastenders when we speak...LOL

Draw your own conclusions :p

Siren

It's being around all us pommie ladies that does it, now get back to your work !!
:D

Jill x

LancashireLass May 9th 2005 10:03 pm

I've been here for 2 years and people back home say I've picked up the aussie way of going up at the end of a sentence but other than that my accent has stayed more or less the same.

Picking up up aussie words does seem strange at first and there are some things I won't say because it sounds so ridiculous to me but they just become second nature after a while especially if you're around aussies most of your time.