Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you got experience?

Have you got experience?

Old May 18th 2004, 11:38 pm

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have you got experience?

Hi forum,
just a quick gas. Been reading the jobs section of every paper I can get, and even for jobs in a coffee shop, YOU NEED EXPERIENCE. I am a mum of three kids, and I have made up sandwiches for lunch boxes for years. It is a real insult to be asked by some kid younger than you, what experience do you have. I told her I could make, eat and sell the sandwiches, but apprently I didnt have enough experience!!!How is anyone meant to get a job, if no one is prepared to give you a go. I was wondering if other members of the forum had experienced (I like that word!!) the same type of negetivety I am having just trying a find a little part time job. If you read the ads for some of this minial jobs, they are asking for up to five years experience. It is hardly brain surgery. A friend applyied for a job in a bakery, and was told she didnt get the job because (wait for it) she didnt put the cake in the bag the right way round when she had an interview. How dumb it that. Thanks for listening Louisaxxx
PS I know perhaps I shouldnt say this, but I feel alot to do with me not getting a job is my accent. Sorry Aussie members, but I am sure it has alot to do with it.
Old May 18th 2004, 11:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Have you got experience?

Hi Louisa
It must depend on the location, and it sounds like you are not having much luck there.

My wife had no experience with any work, she got a job at MacDonalds, took a typing course and she now works for the Government. And she definately doesn't have an aussie accent

Old May 19th 2004, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I think it is the same in Perth. I have only applied for office jobs - purely because it says experience needed in everything from cleaning to coffee making.

You can do short courses in coffee making etc and I think that's what you would have to do to get in.

Maybe if you say you are a backpacker you may stand a chance

Good luck, it's a jungle out there
Old May 19th 2004, 2:49 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by robertd
Hi forum,
just a quick gas. Been reading the jobs section of every paper I can get, and even for jobs in a coffee shop, YOU NEED EXPERIENCE. I am a mum of three kids, and I have made up sandwiches for lunch boxes for years. It is a real insult to be asked by some kid younger than you, what experience do you have. I told her I could make, eat and sell the sandwiches, but apprently I didnt have enough experience!!!How is anyone meant to get a job, if no one is prepared to give you a go. I was wondering if other members of the forum had experienced (I like that word!!) the same type of negetivety I am having just trying a find a little part time job. If you read the ads for some of this minial jobs, they are asking for up to five years experience. It is hardly brain surgery. A friend applyied for a job in a bakery, and was told she didnt get the job because (wait for it) she didnt put the cake in the bag the right way round when she had an interview. How dumb it that. Thanks for listening Louisaxxx
PS I know perhaps I shouldnt say this, but I feel alot to do with me not getting a job is my accent. Sorry Aussie members, but I am sure it has alot to do with it.
All I can say is persevere. I felt the same stigma with my english accent but I found a job eventually and I was told after I was appointed I stood out over the competition. I did not have the experience with a system they had asked for so it does not always go against you.

It is a real pain applying for jobs and I feel for you as I hated every minute of my job hunting. Good luck

Jo
Old May 19th 2004, 3:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone can make a nescafe. Nowadays you have to be a barista which is skilled. I hate badly made coffee. Some will be prejudiced against poms others see it as a good sign. You win some and lose some. The market here seems big on certification as well.
Old May 19th 2004, 3:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by robertd
Hi forum,

if you're having probs with this, have you thought about part time volunteer work? whether it's in a shop, like st vinnies, or helping out at your local RSPCA ( the RSPCA normally have a wide range of work.. from shop, typing/office work or mucking out in the cages.., your choice) look for the web sites, it will tell you how to volunteer , or just go there and speak to someone.. or if children are you thing.. there must be somewhere near you that does volunteer work with kids .. just to get some aussie working experience onto your CV.

Just a suggestion/idea
good luck
Old May 19th 2004, 3:21 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Australia. A country that values experience in the workplace rather than letters after your name proving you know the theory behind it.

Total opposite to the US
Old May 19th 2004, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

As an IT person I can say that experience will also not help you.

I've talked to these so called employment agencies till I'm blue in the face.

they know less than nothing and are a huge obstacle to you getting a job. (and about 50% of them are from the UK)

grrr I hate them

My only advice to you is to soldier on - you'll get a break eventually...or lie if you think you can get away with it. After all if its a job in a cafe what harm can come of it.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Louisa, it may not be your accent, areas like the Gold Coast can have high unemployment especially offseason, its most likely they are receiving hundreds of applications for any job. That can lead to employers getting a bit smug and asking for ridiculous qualifications for a simple job. Wasnt there a post yesterday about 2 IQ tests to be a shelf stacker in Coles! Its nothing personal to you its just they have so many applicants. Just a bit different from the UK where there seem to be more jobs than bods to do them, get to know people thats how most find a job through contacts. Also save your time on applying for jobs where they can get a junior to fill the post, they can pay these kids half the wage, look around at bakeries etc its always kids working in them, make sure they are actually looking for an adult before you waste your time on an interview
Old May 19th 2004, 6:41 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A big thankyou

Thanks forum for all your replies to my thread. I will take everything onboard, and keep soldiering on. Many thanks again, Louisa