British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   have you flown with Cathay Pacific - what did you think (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/have-you-flown-cathay-pacific-what-did-you-think-306128/)

ali south May 31st 2005 8:01 pm

have you flown with Cathay Pacific - what did you think

just about to book our one way trip to Brisbane and fancy going via Hong Kong - we have done KL and Singapore

have you flown Cathay, did they have good entertainment and seats??
Travelling with two teenagers, entertainment is essential!
thanks Tara

caroledouglas May 31st 2005 8:37 pm

Re: have you flown with Cathay Pacific - what did you think

Originally Posted by ali south
just about to book our one way trip to Brisbane and fancy going via Hong Kong - we have done KL and Singapore

have you flown Cathay, did they have good entertainment and seats??
Travelling with two teenagers, entertainment is essential!
thanks Tara

Hi Tara,

I have never went with Cathay, but one of the women in my work flys every 2nd year to Aus with them and she thinks they are fab, i think most airlines are much the same.
good luck
Carole

ali south May 31st 2005 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by caroledouglas
Hi Tara,

I have never went with Cathay, but one of the women in my work flys every 2nd year to Aus with them and she thinks they are fab, i think most airlines are much the same.
good luck
Carole

thank you
I agree lots of them are great
but we had a terrible flight with Luftansa once so I thought I would ask
Tara

caroledouglas May 31st 2005 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ali south
thank you
I agree lots of them are great
but we had a terrible flight with Luftansa once so I thought I would ask
Tara

Saying that tara, when my family came from Aus they flew with Luftansa and they had a hellish flight. They vowed never again. I think Cathay, emirates, singapore, are all much the same. Hopefully.
Take care Carole.

JayJay 88 May 31st 2005 9:36 pm

We flew with Cathay and they were great. Food and entertainment was a good standard, but the best thing was joining the Marco Polo Club. I think this was about £35 but it enabled us to reserve our seats and check in on line 48 hrs before each flight. Then at the airport we just waved our Club passes and went to the front of the queue. Best £35 ever spent! You also collect air miles which will help if frequently travelling.

HK is great as well, shopping is ridiculously cheap in the street markets. And the jewelry is just tooooo tempting (not quite so cheap though). Once you find your way round it's a really fun city, we even managed to order off a fully chinese menu!

Good luck, Jayne :)

spalen May 31st 2005 10:04 pm

We flew wiht them - admittedly in business and they were great.

You can pay to use their lounge in Hong Kong which is the worlds best business-class lounge according to recent travellers poll. They have free everything including chef's cooking chinese meals ;-). Its only a small selection of stuff but its good. Free Hagen Daas/cakes/coffee/showers/internet etc as well.

HK airport is good - huge - lots of shopping. Free internet access in shops. Lots ofplaces to eat and drink from local food to international chains. If you can get out there is a good transit system into HK which is worht doing if you've got a long stop over.

Pollyana May 31st 2005 10:16 pm

I flew with them - and doing the UK holiday with them in October. They were excellent - good food, reasonable entertainment, and superb staff!

Un-Co Jun 1st 2005 2:05 am

I reckon they're not as good as Singapore but far far better than Qantas or BA. :)

SuperSeagulls Jun 1st 2005 7:17 am

I thought Cathay were great...when I flew with them 5 years ago. Havent done so recently but would happily fly with them again.

SS

ali south Jun 1st 2005 7:19 am

thanks everyone

philian4 Jun 1st 2005 8:46 am

Hi,

great airline (IMHO). Flew out this time with them and have flown with them from HK to Uk in the past. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. :)

phil x

boom_meringue Jun 1st 2005 9:46 am

I flew Cathay to HK once about 3 years ago and had the worst flight of my life - no legroom (and I'm only 5' 9''), very narrow seat, no seatback tv screen, crappy food and to cap it all I was saat next to the smelliest old person ever.

I have not and would never use them again if I had to fly economy. I flew to Oz with BA and Quantas and had good flights but not perfect, my fave airline to fly with has to be Virgin. I've flown a few times long haul with them and they have always been fab, especially if you can afford premium economy.

wongstonn Jun 1st 2005 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I flew Cathay to HK once about 3 years ago and had the worst flight of my life - no legroom (and I'm only 5' 9''), very narrow seat, no seatback tv screen, crappy food and to cap it all I was saat next to the smelliest old person ever.

I have not and would never use them again if I had to fly economy. I flew to Oz with BA and Quantas and had good flights but not perfect, my fave airline to fly with has to be Virgin. I've flown a few times long haul with them and they have always been fab, especially if you can afford premium economy.

I was a frequent flyer between London & Hong Kong for the past 10 years. Of course, if you paid more for the Premium Economy - BA & Virgin, you have more legroom, bigger seat & less passengers in the cabin. The Economy Class on the whole, I think Cathay Pacific is better than BA - Cathay Pacific has bigger legroom than BA - 2 inches more I think. Can't comment on Virgin after a terrible flight many years ago... perhaps services have been improved & bigger legroom now?! Also, BA cuts cost to serve a terrible roll with cheese & ham (the same type of roll served in the inter-European flight!) for breakfast instead of a proper cooked breakfast... also, there is not enough snack for people to eat between meals particular for the night time flight if you can't sleep. :mad:

Also, tips for you. 1/ Try to book a mid-week flight i.e. Tue/Wed - less business people travelling and the flight not fully booked, so you may have a chance to have two seats each. 2/ Night time flight - 9/10 pm departs Heathrow so you can have a proper sleep (if you can sleep) before landing at Hong Kong in the late afternoon... check-in hotel, have a nice evening meal out... stay up after mid-night :beer: - it helps to cure the jetlag!

Have a good flight.

Pat ;)

Bix Jun 5th 2005 1:18 pm

Flew to Cairns by Cathay last October. Night flight from Heathrow to Hong Kong...4 hour stop over.

Will never use them again.

Crap service.......We hardly saw the inflight crew. Think they were hoping everyone would sleep to make their job easy. On the second leg of the journey my wife was ill and all they did was utter "ooooooooh" in their high pitched oriental voices, throw some paper towels at us then dissappear leaving us to sort the problem.
Crap food...... Asian menu only. I know the when in Rome saying but on an international flight I expected at least one choice of non Asian grub.
Crap comfort......I am six/one and my two sons are taller than me so we had no chance from the start I guess.
Best thing was the entertainment......if you could watch the screen with the seat in front stuck up under your chin.

I was going to write a letter of complaint to them but didn't get round to it with all the new immigration stuff going on.
Shall vote with my pocket instead.

JackTheLad Jun 5th 2005 1:30 pm

We had a really really unfortunate incident on a Cathy flight. I'll say up front, it wasn't their fault, but they didn't handle it well.

Basically some muppet threatened to punch me if I didn't turn my reading light off, because his wife wouldn't wear an eye mask to drown out the tiny amount of light. Anyway, he started screaming and raising his fists at me. The stewardess' were quite timid, wouldn't help me out with this nutter.

So anyway, to cut a long story short, the people behind offered to swap seats so I could continue reading my book, and this stupid women could sleep without putting on an eyemask and damaging her false eyelashes. :rolleyes:

If it had been a BA flight, a steward would have been in like a shot and subdued the guy. I actually thought there would have been police waiting for him when we landed, but no.... so we had a word with the captain, and he just rolled his eyes and said, ahhh nutters, we get them all the time.

But other than that :o they were fine!!!

JTL