Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

have you been warned about the magpies!!!

have you been warned about the magpies!!!

Old Jul 4th 2002, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

owen27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default have you been warned about the magpies!!!

Hi there! on previous threads people have been talking about all the creepy crawlies...snakes etc and all the sea beasties!!!
but not one person has mentioned the magpies......

We lived in Toowoomba which is about 1hr 30mins from Brisbane for just under a year and were very knowledgeable about the bitey stingy things or so we thought......

One day my wife who cycled to and from university everyday suddenly burst open the front door looking quite flustered.... she said that she had been attacked by a magpie!!! showing all my care and concern as only a husband can i said "bollocks"
Anyway we were at friends that evening so we told them what had happened....after they had stopped laughing in a ooops didnt we mention that to them sort of way...they explained that during mating season they will swoop down on you and defend there territory until you are out of it!!! scary stuff
My payback for the disbelief i showed to my wife was yet to come....
i was out pushing my daughter in her pushchair when suddenly WHAMMO!! right on the side of my head drawing blood from me arrrrgh christ! I can remember running like a terrified kid down the road swinging a shopping bag that i had grabbed from under the pushchair!! and since that day i always carried a stick or a rolled up newspaper with me...sad i know..but from that day on the creepy crawlies were the last thing on our minds....
So be prepared where a hat and sunglasses and with a monty python stlye silly walk you should be fine.
Would love to hear of anyone elses creepy crawlie or magpie encounters
let us all live in limbo together
Old Jul 5th 2002, 12:06 am
Wannabe Ausie

MikenWendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: have you been warned about the magpies!!!

I'm still in england at the moment. I shoot magpies any chance I get. I shot 19 last year and 10 so far this year. I only shoot them in my back garden and since I started, which was caused by seeing 2 magpies fighting over a chick that had been stolen from a nest, I now have lots of song birds in my garden. England is overrun with magpies and it sounds like Aus may be the same.

I have checked the gun rules in Aus and they appear to be more strict than here. However, they do have a recreational hunting permit so maybe I'll be able to carry on ridding the world of these vermin.

Mike.
Old Jul 5th 2002, 4:25 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Thank god then australia has tougher gun laws than Uk apparently does so nut cases like you cannot move in next door to me and start shooting at birds in my backyard.

Personally we dont mind the magpies and if our back yard is typical of Australia they do not seem to scare away any of the other many varieties of birds that come every day to visit.

I do seem to recall though that about 2 years ago the railway line from Cleveland to the CBD was put out of action due to magpies on the line ? Bizarre ! Maybe QR need the help of our UK friend here to come and oozi them.
Old Jul 5th 2002, 5:19 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

In defence of Mike, it sounds as if what he's doing is perfectly legal. From the UK police site http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/deer1.htm:

<Vermin control
This subject generally refers to the control of certain pests, on farmland and other suitable areas, and includes rats, rabbits, grey squirrels and foxes...

Whilst there is little dispute that birds such as wild geese and Canada geese are destructive and a nuisance to farmers, etc., they are not legally classified as vermin by either the RSPB or DEFRA. In fact all birds are protected.

Notwithstanding this, the Secretary of State for the Environment issues an official decree every two years which amounts to an exemption from the usual prohibitions placed on the killing of specific species of wild birds with Section 1 shotguns. The following thirteen species are at the moment included in this exemption:

Crow
Collared Dove
Great Black-backed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Jay
Magpie
Feral Pigeon
Rook
House Sparrow
Starling
Wood Pigeon

There are many species of animals which are protected - far too many to list here. They are all included in The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and it is every shooter's responsibility to ensure that they do not kill or harm such species.

More information on this subject can be obtained from the British Association of Shooting and Conservation.>

And a quick trawl found http://www.fishnetnt.com.au/huntingdefault.html:

<Australia has the wide open spaces you need to hunt game and vermin. Australia also has the variety of habitat and species to provide a true hunting adventure.

Many species of deer are found across Australia, as are wild pigs, waterfowl, foxes, rabbits, dingoes, feral cats, quail, pheasant and more.

Australians generally accept hunting as a sport, with many parts of Australia set aside as hunting reserves.

Waterfowling is popular, and Australia has many species of ducks and the magpie goose, a popular game bird in the north.

North Australia offers a truly wild hunting experience, with some areas hardly touched by shooters.

Australian firearm laws allow ownership of most hunting weapons except auto and semi-autos in either rifle or shotgun.

Licences are needed and there is a cooling off period for buyers who have just received a licence.

A simple arsenal for an Aussie shooter/hunter would be a 30.30 lever action rifle (for pigs), a .22 rimfire rifle (for rabbits), a .22/250 rifle for long range varminting of foxes, rabbits etc, and a 12 gauge shotgun for waterfowling.

Steel shot must be used in some areas. Check the regulations. >

So it sounds as if gun toters are far from rare in Aus...

All the best
Old Jul 5th 2002, 6:20 am
Robert Edwards

You are right, the gun laws in Australia are considerably more strict than in
England...as for the magpie problem well they know no country borders, it is not all
but a few only generally during the nesting season only, I have heard of stories of
people wearing those stick on eyes on the back of their hats etc to deter attack,
unsure if they work but I live in semi rural area on Gold Coast on 20 acres and have
heaps of magpies and do not have any problem with them at all.

"MikenWendy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Old Jul 5th 2002, 7:20 am
Winnie

"owen27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi there! on previous threads people have been talking about all the creepy
    > crawlies...snakes etc and all the sea beasties!!! but not one person has mentioned
    > the magpies......

I wonder if Aussie and NZ Magpies are the same? The NZ ones certainly make much more
pleasant and varied noises than european magpies, and are more flashy too.

Winnie

Old Jul 5th 2002, 9:26 am
Wannabe Ausie

MikenWendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dugongs
Thank god then Australia has tougher gun laws than UK apparently does so nut cases like you cannot move in next door to me and start shooting at birds in my backyard.
I'm sorry that you feel that way but you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion of magpies is that they are murderers (as I myself witnessed) and vermin. I shoot them in a lawful, responsible, humane and safe way. The benefit of my actions is that I now have lots of songbirds in my garden.

I also have squirrels and pigeons visit my garden and, although these are on the list of vermin, I don’t shoot them as I don’t see any benefit to me in doing so. I actually like to watch the antics of the squirrels. However, if one decided to take up lodging in my loft then I’m afraid that it would have to be dealt with because of the damage they cause to wiring etc. Humans kill many animals and I’m sure most Aussies when confronted with certain creatures don’t think twice about killing them. Personally, if I ever found a red back in my house then I would not just place it outside in the garden. I’m afraid it would be on my “to be humanely disposed of� list.

I too am glad that they have stricter laws in Aus, the modern airrifles that are on sale to teenagers (unlicensed) in the UK are far too powerful and should be controlled in some way.

BTW, if anyone shot any bird in your back garden (without your permission) then I would be right behind you in supporting prosecution. I have never shot anything except in MY garden.

Sorry to rant but the “if you have a gun you must be a nut brigade� really are misinformed. I also enjoy clay pigeon shooting and note that Aus won the world championship for the last 2 years.

Mike.
Old Jul 5th 2002, 10:20 am
Helena

"Winnie" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "owen27" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Hi there! on previous threads people have been talking about all the creepy
    > > crawlies...snakes etc and all the sea beasties!!! but not one person has
    > > mentioned the magpies......
    >
    > I wonder if Aussie and NZ Magpies are the same? The NZ ones certainly make much
    > more pleasant and varied noises than european magpies, and are more flashy too.

I believe the magpies in NZ are Aussie ones that were introduced to the country but
am not totally positive about that. I think the Aussie magpie is gorgeous. And they
sing so beautifully, I love the sound. You just have to watch them around nesting
time (Sep/Oct) since they swoop on & attack people & pets nearby. Cyclists have been
known to fall off their bikes or ride into trees due to these kamikaze magpies. The
magpies seem to like going for your eye so you've got to watch yourself, and your
kids especially. And your dog too since most dogs tend to try to attack back.

Just one more "beastie" to watch out for!

Helena

Old Jul 5th 2002, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi All
Yes a few months ago the kids were watching their afternoon programmes , and i think it was the " the really wild show " , and they had the posties being attacked walking down the road . The magpies literally sit and wait for you , then bang they swoop in for the kill , well not that bad really , but they swoop in .
The posties wear hats with sun glasses on the back , because then the magpies wont go for you , because they think you are watching them , as they are chickens really , ha just realised what i wrote , they attack when you are not looking !!!!
Beware the Magpies !!!!!!!!
Joanne
Old Jul 5th 2002, 1:20 pm
Johnny Boy

"dugongs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thank god then australia has tougher gun laws than Uk apparently does so nut cases
    > like you cannot move in next door to me and start shooting at birds in my backyard.

Amen to that!! Hey Mike, tell me do your stray bullets/pellets stay IN your
backyard?? Or do your neighbours have to duck for cover everytime they see a magpie
near your place?

> Personally we dont mind the magpies and if our back yard is typical of Australia
    > they do not seem to scare away any of the other many varieties of birds that come
    > every day to visit.

Though obviously not exclusive to Australia, magpies are very typical of the
Australian landscape, and their song is one of the most beautiful in the bush. It's
close relative the butcher bird also has the most beautiful song. Both these birds
are highly intelligent and seem comfortable with people around.

We live at Wellington Point and during the nesting season my wife took her tennis
racquet with her on her morning walks for protection. And every morning our
neighbours kept asking her if she'd found her ball yet

> I do seem to recall though that about 2 years ago the railway line from Cleveland
    > to the CBD was put out of action due to magpies on the line ? Bizarre ! Maybe QR
    > need the help of our UK friend here to come and oozi them.

It's these quaint little anecdotes that making living in Oz so great. Gun-toting poms
stay home! Or go somewhere where you fit in, like Alabama or Kansas.

just my 0.02

Johnny

Old Jul 5th 2002, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

owen27 is an unknown quantity at this point

good to read all the threads...The magpies are not really a major problem..just one we were not aware of before going to Oz. It is quite amusing when you are sitting in your lounge watching passers by being swooped on!!

I was told by a friend in Oz that a guy in a wheelchair..the one with the joystick on for control..was waiting at a crossroads when hen was swooped by a magpie! my friend said he was frantically trying to move the joystick in all directions trying to flee the attack!! he said he felt real sorry for the bloke......but what a start to the day!! it feels mean to laugh...but it is hard not too when you have the visual in your head.
bye for now
owen27
Old Jul 5th 2002, 8:20 pm
Robert Edwards

"Totally Wild"

"jopaulss" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Old Jul 5th 2002, 8:20 pm
Robert Edwards

Just as an aside, The laws in Australia apply equally to air rifles as they do to the
more obvious high powered weapons, there is no way anyone is allowed to take "pot
shots" at vermin etc in their yard or anyone else's, there are some primary producers
that are licensed but the average person in the street will feel the full weight of
the new laws for exchanging any type of powered weapon in other than a controlled
situation (such as an authorised weapons range).

> dugongs wrote:
    > > Thank god then Australia has tougher gun laws than UK apparently does
so
    > > nut cases like you cannot move in next door to me and start shooting
at

Old Jul 6th 2002, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I screamed with laughter at this post, two years ago our neighbour was at his wits end with the magpies chopping away at his kids so he fired at one with a nail gun (power tool used by builders). Within minutes the police arrived with sirens and lights and guns, he was threatened with arrest, had his house searched for weapons, was read the riot act on killing wildlife, using weapons and basically hauled over for a good half hour. We went to his defense and explained the attacks on the kids,and were basically warned that we could be arrested too if we were party to it!!! The whole thing was hilarious really, especially when we'd just had a load of stuff nicked out of the garage and the cops told us they were too busy to come out!! Probably best to learn to live with them. By the way shooting dangerous snakes is an offence too. You can pick them up and return them to the bush tho, hands up whos game ???
Old Jul 6th 2002, 4:20 am
Johnny Boy

news:[email protected]... .
    > My opinion of magpies is that they are murderers (as I myself witnessed) and
    > vermin. I shoot them in a lawful, responsible, humane and safe way. The benefit of
    > my actions is that I now have lots of songbirds in my garden.

Earth to Mike, Earth to Mike!!!!

Magpies are birds, not murderers, and they are part of the natural eco-system. They
are not vermin.

Of course you are entitled to "your opinion". But if it was "your opinion" that
because koalas smelt funny, and made rude noises, they frightened song birds away
from your garden - you would feel entitled to shoot them as well?

That is why we have gun laws Mike - to protect society from the "opinions" of
arrogant and selfish bastards like you.

>
    > I also have squirrels and pigeons visit my garden and, although these are on the
    > list of vermin, I don't shoot them as I don't see any benefit to me in doing so. I
    > actually like to watch the antics of the squirrels.

You mean you like playing god.

> Personally, if I ever found a red back in my house then I would not just place
    > it outside in the garden. I'm afraid it would be on my "to be humanely disposed
    > of" list.

Wow, you MUST be a pretty good shot!

> Sorry to rant but the "if you have a gun you must be a nut brigade" really are
    > misinformed> Mike.

Then inform us - why do people like you feel the need to own guns when most of us get
along pretty well without them??

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.