Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

have you all visited oz before emigrate

have you all visited oz before emigrate

Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default have you all visited oz before emigrate

hello im allison del boys wife and would like to hear from anyone emigrating , to oz before you have ever had any visits if no not had any visits please tell me why you r so convinced its the right move and anyone elses opion on this issuse
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:47 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: have you all visited oz before emigrate

Originally posted by delboy
hello im allison del boys wife and would like to hear from anyone emigrating , to oz before you have ever had any visits if no not had any visits please tell me why you r so convinced its the right move and anyone elses opion on this issuse
Hi Allison,
I was born in Australia, but moved to NZ before I was a year old, and then to the UK before I was four. My earliest memory is of the flight back to the UK. My husband has never been to Australia, and my children were born here. Our main reason for going out there is climate, more better way of educating, property, and to just do something with our lives. I look around me and can find no reason to stay here. We do not expect it to be easy, lets face it, the applications are hard to begin with. We just want to make the most of what we have got. I think that the main thing is that we are basically a happy family, and that we can be happy anywhere, all we are changing is the environment.

We had the opportunity to visit friends in America, our first trip abroard after 10 years of marraige. They live in Montanna, quite rural, and it opened our eyes... There is so much in the world to experience, so we decided to get ourselves out there and do it. So what if it doesnt work, at least we had a go, and we will know what we want. I hope this is makes sense when you are reading it, Im being quick here.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Alison - I had visited Oz before deciding to go but I came back with glowing reports about the wide open spaces and that prompted my sis and her family to go for it. They applied there and then but have subsequently visited and are now much keener than me. My advice would be to visit it if you can - but yes it is very expensive - but not so dear as emigrating and finding you don't like it. Find out as much as possible and imagine it from a "I am going to live here" point of view rather than sunshine, barbies and pools - holidays. For example I went to have a look at Adelaide during their winter and I arrived with a slight frost on the ground. There were some dull, wet days when it looked just as bleak as a wet weekend in Morecombe (apologies to Morecombe people). It's good to get a balanced view of it without being swayed by the thought of endless days on the beach, by the pool or whatever. I have my visa and will give it a go but that's not to say I am not leaving England/Europe with a heavy heart as you are leaving behind the accessibility of living here (ie Ryanair hops to Europe) and the cultural aspects and your support network. Also there is the reality of 40plus degree temperatures and the practicalities of getting used to working in that. Ask yourself what are your priorities in life, ie it may be that your wages will be lower than in the UK and it looks cheap from over here but when you are paid an Aussie wage it may look less attractive. I am attracted to the wide open spaces and the relative lack of cars/people outside the metrolpolitan area. I like outdoor activities/nature that sort of thing (call me a bit romantic) However I realise that I will probably be paid much less than I earn at present and be in a far more competitive situation as far as finding that job is concerned. For example I know lots of families in Oz who have never been out of Australia as it is so expensive for them to do so and the distances are vast. I'll keep this short as I am sure you will get lots of advice. But I'd say go and have a look. Even if (and I guess you have a partner) only one of you goes over.

Elaine
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Allison

Never been to Oz before but at the moment we are keen to give it ago. Plenty of negative things to say about why we want to leave the Uk but they have all been said many times before on this forum. However there are planty things i will miss friends,lovely big house, car and living by the seaside. But these are mostly materialistic items and to be honest i just would like to see more of my fiance when he isn`t stressed and also spend more time as a family. Romantic, mad, foolish who knows but it will be our mistake or fortune to make.

I can`t advise you either way just read the threads and make up your own mind, there are many people who have made a great life in OZ and there are some who have come back because it didn`t work out. Your fate is in your own hands as is mine.

Good luck and hope it all works out.

footie chick
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

pixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Allison,

I have never been to Oz before but I will be migrating in July this year, my husband has been over a few times. Some people think I am a bit mad but my philosphy on life is you only live once, so get out and about and experience what you can, I have no great expectations of OZ and would be content if I didn't want to stay and then we try something different, or come back to UK.

We don't have any children or pets and I think that makes such a move much easier.

It is a long wait for a PR visa, and you cannot think of the waiting time as wasted its all part of the adventure.

Some people talk about doing things and others do them, I know which group I would rather belong to.

Best of Luck with your own plans

Pixie
Old Apr 29th 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We did not do the pre - visa visit. (We were there 10 yrs ago but are not counting that )

We look on this as a big adventure and if we stay we stay if we come back we come back. What will be will be.

Yes it will have been expensive but we will have had a good time.

Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Pott.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with you Pixie and Pott. life is too short.

You only get one go at life so make it a good one. Regardless what others may think.

footie chick
Old Apr 29th 2003, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Allison,
Have never been to Oz before and we are hoping to be out there by the end of the year all being well.

Don't know what it will be like and we are sure that there will be just as many bad points as there are here,but you have to give it a go. I would rather have done and found it didn't suit us than forever wonder. Life is far to short! If you have the chance to do it go for it.

Claire
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi allison, we didnt do the visit before applying to emigrate. weve got friends who have emigrated and they love it. after a 2 year wait for visas we were so fed up of waiting we actually managed to visit a few months ago. we now are sure we are doing the right thing, we loved queensland. its a bit of a gamble if youve never visited, but what have you got to lose ?? as we keep saying if we dont like it we will come back. brissy here we come in 4 weeks.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alison

We have never been to Australia either but we now have our visa and hope to go by the end of the year. We made this decision based on talking to people who know,watching T.V programmes and reading books etc.

We realize there are good and bad things about Australia but if you don't go you will never know if its for you - and whats the worst that can happen?- if you don't like it you come back.

I compare it with being at school and choosing your career - you choose certain subjects, perhaps go to college or university and spend years studying, revising, taking exams, applying for jobs, interviews etc and yet you have no experience at all of the job you hope to do - only what you have read and what others have told you. Its far more difficult to change your career if you find its not what you thought than to move back to the U.K.

All the best
Alex
Old Apr 29th 2003, 4:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default go for it

Hi Alison,
I am in the great position of having loads of family in various parts of Oz and have been able to go many times. Each time i have been i have found it harder to come back.
My husband and i met when we 18 and since then (14 years!) i have had endless discussions with him to try to persaude him to give it a go.
He was made redundant on THE september 11th and with what unfolded later that day seemed to give him the "lifes too short" bug, so we applied soon after.
We should hopefully be off in September with 2 excited children.
Basically what i am blathering on about is that we never know whats around the corner, or what may come along and smack us in the face. If its something that you want to try then go for it, you can always come back!
Hope this helps!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: go for it

If you haven't been, or don't have friends or relatives there, then go with a view to spending the first few months exploring and finding out where you want to base yourself.

Even though we've visited and decided on Sydney, we're renting to start - and will spend the first year visiting as much of Aus as we can.

I agree with most of the sentiment of other posters. Go for it. Don't just think about it. The sooner you get your application in, the sooner you can start the adventure.

Good luck

Kev
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:07 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

hi,

In much the same vein as everyone else - give it a go!

we just feel that we don't want to look back in 10 years time and think what if??

For the majority of us in the UK now is the ideal time (what with all the dosh we have made on our houses!!) so just go for it.

You will get nothing but support from most posters on this forum.
Good luck. Hope all the advice from everyone helps you reach the right decision for you and your family.

Sally
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:19 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: have you all visited oz before emigrate

Got to agree with the other posters, if you haven't been before then by all means go for it but don't commit to buying until you've seen more of the country. Oz is a huge place and you've got to find the area that suits you.

In the time that I've been watching this forum I think it's relevent that all (at least I think it's all -feel free to contradict) the people who are having real problems and have either returned or are intending to are those that have gone to QLD or WA. Nothing wrong with either place of course and there will be many others who have found a perfect life there but some people can find Perth very isolated - it's a very very long way from anywhere else in the world and QLD has some of the most interesting and challenging weather on the planet.

Personally I'm a coward and now that we've narrowed it down to one area we're going over again later this year to make make absolutely sure.

Cheers

Perry
Old Apr 29th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I have been twice now and after first time, didn't consider it, only after last trip did we decide to go for it, poss as have a family now and things are different.

If you have the option, go before so you can find your feet, it will confirm the way you feel and make you less aprehensive, know its not always possible to do that, if not make sure you travel around once you migrate as you will then know where you want to be.

We are settling in Perth, having travelled all over, it doesn't feel isolated (its not a remote scottish island!), great climate and very reasonable cost of living. Sydney is a fab city but you need to be earning mega bucks to live the life. Melbourne gets cold in the winter, too cold for me anyway. Brisbane and surrounding area is another good option, friend lives inland on Gold Coast, and seems to be the joint popular choice for expats. Adelaide is very small and employment prospects not do good for what we want, friend just moved his business from there, although have great wine valley, best to investigate places for most employment options too for your trade.

All my own opinions and everyone will have their own too, hope this helps and good luck

Teresa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.