British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Have you actually been to Australia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/have-you-actually-been-australia-108887/)

gle Jun 17th 2002 11:34 am

Have you actually been to Australia?

Skilled Migration
I notice on the application form they require you to list the past dates of travel to Australia. I went for 1 month holiday before but do not have a note of my visa number: its electronic.

My question is: is there a way to find out what the visa number was?

If I put the dates without the visa number - is it worthwhile

Supplementary question:
Does it matter very much whether you have actually been to Australia? Not a question I'd expect you people to be in a position to answer but is there anyone there that has been granted a visa without ever visiting aussieland previously?

bsftaylorm Jun 17th 2002 11:57 am

Re: Have you actually been to Australia?

I just put in the dates from my passport stamps. My visa was granted in 15 days, so I guess that's OK!

Debbie Jun 17th 2002 12:48 pm

I wondered about the same question when I filled out the form, but just put our holiday dates and specified it was just a holiday, which is acceptable.

Friends of ours have just immigrated and they hadnt even been there before. It makes no difference.

Good luck!

Debbie

kango_jack Jun 17th 2002 1:14 pm

I had a similar problem, only mine was that I migrated with my family to Perth around 1974!
I put a note of explanation on the form as I obviously didn't have exact details - so far they haven't questioned it.
As the others have said just put the dates from your passport, failing that you can download a form from the Immigration web site. This form, 424, allows you to request access to documents - we thought we would wait and see if approximate dates were sufficient.
Best Wishes
Annie

MikenWendy Jun 17th 2002 1:28 pm

If you check this site

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/img_oz/ch...ur_visa_f2.gif

You need your passport number and your DOB to find your ETA details.

Mike.

MikenWendy Jun 17th 2002 1:40 pm

Sorry wrong link.

Try
http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

and navigate via "check your eta"

Mike.

Pread Jun 17th 2002 4:14 pm

Gle,

Not sure about the Visa question, but as for the prior visit to Oz before migration,
check out a thread entitled "ever been to oz?".

Cheers, Paul.

"gle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Skilled Migration I notice on the application form they require you to list the
    > past dates of travel to Australia. I went for 1 month holiday before but do not
    > have a note of my visa number: its electronic.
    >
    > My question is: is there a way to find out what the visa number was?
    >
    > If I put the dates without the visa number - is it worthwhile
    >
    > Supplementary question: Does it matter very much whether you have actually been to
    > Australia? Not a question I'd expect you people to be in a position to answer but
    > is there anyone there that has been granted a visa without ever visiting aussieland
    > previously?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > It ain't the destination that's important, just the journey....
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

SuzeM Jun 17th 2002 11:11 pm

Hi
We just put the dates of travel on ours and ETA where it asks for visa number. They can check their computer records then.
Sue

Jaj Jun 18th 2002 12:20 pm

1. In terms of being granted a visa (skilled independent, anyhow) the answer is no,
it makes no difference.

2. However, visiting Australia in advance is a good idea for anyone who has
something to lose from a migration that doesn't work out. It's a bit late to find
out after you've sold house, quit job, uprooted kids etc that maybe Australia
isn't for you after all. That said, if you come on a holiday to 'have a look' do
try and see Australia through the eyes of a potential resident, not a tourist.

Jeremy

>On 17 Jun 2002 13:20:20 GMT, gle <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >Supplementary question: Does it matter very much whether you have actually been to
    >Australia? Not a question I'd expect you people to be in a position to answer but is
    >there anyone there that has been granted a visa without ever visiting aussieland
    >previously?
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >It ain't the destination that's important, just the journey....
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

ptlabs Jun 18th 2002 4:35 pm

gle,

I guess it is worthwhile. Certainly no harm done by putting down the dates (even if you choose to leave the visa number out), and indicate that it's an ETA.

On the other hand, I think it's wise not to leave out information such as a prior visit as a tourist to Australia (not that I'm saying that's your plan). Don't think anyone wants a simple thing like this to come back to haunt you if the Immigration guys decide to get sticky with details.

On the same note, I've been told by some of my friends who have travelled to Australia on ETAs that they do receive a number, on a receipt given to them by their tour agent. Perhaps you could ask your tour agency (if they are still around) if they have records of your ETA. Otherwise, you could try getting it off an earlier URL posted before this.

Cheers,
Peter

Originally posted by gle
If I put the dates without the visa number - is it worthwhile

Thunder Ace Jun 19th 2002 9:21 am

ptlabs <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > gle wrote:
    > > If I put the dates without the visa number - is it worthwhile
    >
    > gle,
    >
    > I guess it is worthwhile. Certainly no harm done by putting down the dates (even if
    > you choose to leave the visa number out), and indicate that it's an ETA.
    >
    > On the other hand, I think it's wise not to leave out information such as a prior
    > visit as a tourist to Australia (not that I'm saying that's your plan). Don't think
    > anyone wants a simple thing like this to come back to haunt you if the Immigration
    > guys decide to get sticky with details.
    >
    > On the same note, I've been told by some of my friends who have travelled to
    > Australia on ETAs that they do receive a number, on a receipt given to them by
    > their tour agent. Perhaps you could ask your tour agency (if they are still around)
    > if they have records of your ETA. Otherwise, you could try getting it off an
    > earlier URL posted before this.
    >
    > Cheers, Peter

The answer has already been given in this thread, so why complicate things. Put down
the entry and exit dates from your passport and state that you travelled on an ETA
and therefore you don't have a visa number. That's what I did along with many others;
no problem.

Thunder Ace