Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have we really given it long enough ????

Have we really given it long enough ????

Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we really given it long enough ????

Originally Posted by asprilla
I think you missed this bit:
No, didn't miss that bit at all - that's why I said "you'll then figure out soon enough"... Still plenty of time before their final entry date in June.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 10:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
No, didn't miss that bit at all - that's why I said "you'll then figure out soon enough"... Still plenty of time before their final entry date in June.
?? not really plenty of time. June is only 4 months away ! It'll take a few weeks to organise heading back to the UK (and same again, if deciding to return before June). Leaving 2 or 3 months to decide whether or not the return home was a good idea..

It all seems a bit crazy to me.. but then, what do i know...
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

Not posted on here for awhile with trying to get myself into my new life in Oz and what a roller coaster of ride it has been.

One minute me saying I want to go home and then my partner saying he does I feel like a damn well yo yo most days.

We have been here in Perth for 5 months and yes have we seriously given it long enough this is the big question?

After all that hard work to get here to throw the towel in so soon seems such a waste.

If we did go back to the UK our visa ends in June so couldnt get back in not even on a Resident Returns Visa because we havent been here 2 years out of the 5 years.

There is a part of me that is saying stop acting like a whinging POM and get on with it even for another 18 months at least that way if we do go back we can say we have given it a good go and we can get RRV for a further 5 years.

So difficult as to know what to do at times sorry for the whinge ....

Debs

18 months in & I still have my moments but it has got easier.

I've PM'd you with an offer of coffee if you want to?

Alison x
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving 2 or 3 months to decide whether or not the return home was a good idea..
Exactly... a clear and imminent deadline on making a decision, rather than having it hanging there almost indefinitely. A little time pressure can be good for getting things done, and decisions made.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Unless you have hated it from the moment you stepped off the plane and haven't had a single good experience and it's just getting worse and worse and worse. I would say that 5 months is not long enough. I was still on the emotional rollercoaster for 1 year minimum and I am a very self analytical person who knows themselves very well.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:21 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
Unless you have hated it from the moment you stepped off the plane and haven't had a single good experience and it's just getting worse and worse and worse. I would say that 5 months is not long enough. I was still on the emotional rollercoaster for 1 year minimum and I am a very self analytical person who knows themselves very well.
I bet you're fun at parties.

Your post in the other thread does ring very true though. You do forget all the shit bits of your homeland and only remember all the good parts. We showed an American friend around parts of the South West and Wales not long before we migrated here. I'd never seen the UK before through a tourists eyes.... and it was an impressive sight. That sticks firmly in my mind.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
We showed an American friend around parts of the South West and Wales not long before we migrated here. I'd never seen the UK before through a tourists eyes.... and it was an impressive sight. That sticks firmly in my mind.
Definitely the UK is a great tourist destination, unfortunately too many people in the UK either don't, or refuse to, see the positives of the UK in that way. Of course living in a country is different, yet there are many positives for that in the UK too - all countries have their good points & bad points about them.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:24 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Definitely the UK is a great tourist destination, unfortunately too many people in the UK either don't, or refuse to, see the positives of the UK in that way. Of course living in a country is different, yet there are many positives for that in the UK too - all countries have their good points & bad points about them.
Australia doesn't have any bad points.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:07 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Australia doesn't have any bad points.
I'm a true blue 5th generation aussie and even I know that's a wind-up statement if ever I saw one.

Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

zentrix is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should give it 2 years minimum, you havent been there long enough to decide I dont think.
I first travelled to Aus in April 2004 to see my brother who had moved there with his family. I had convinced myself that I was going to migrate before I went and when I got there it was 10 times better than I expected. I didnt want to come back, the kids loved it and my wife did but she didnt want to migrate, she said she would have to go 3 or 4 times to make up her mind!!!!. When we got back to Sunny England, not! I was so depressed that the only thing to get me out of it was to book flights and go again at Xmas which we did. Since then its been a battle to get the visa, with my wife, not the government, that was fairly easy. Each step of the way she has come up with excuse after excuse, her only reason for not going is that she likes it here! We have validated the visas March 2009 so I dont have much time left to move but I will be having words with her very soon.

Give it some more time in Australia, England is spiralling faster each day down the sh*tter in my opinion. I would jump on a plane tomorrow if I could and I wouldnt come back either!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zentrix
I think you should give it 2 years minimum, you havent been there long enough to decide I dont think.
I first travelled to Aus in April 2004 to see my brother who had moved there with his family. I had convinced myself that I was going to migrate before I went and when I got there it was 10 times better than I expected. I didnt want to come back, the kids loved it and my wife did but she didnt want to migrate, she said she would have to go 3 or 4 times to make up her mind!!!!. When we got back to Sunny England, not! I was so depressed that the only thing to get me out of it was to book flights and go again at Xmas which we did. Since then its been a battle to get the visa, with my wife, not the government, that was fairly easy. Each step of the way she has come up with excuse after excuse, her only reason for not going is that she likes it here! We have validated the visas March 2009 so I dont have much time left to move but I will be having words with her very soon.

Give it some more time in Australia, England is spiralling faster each day down the sh*tter in my opinion. I would jump on a plane tomorrow if I could and I wouldnt come back either!
Seen lots of stories like that over the years. One partner desperate to migrate and the other dead set against.

If she really doesn't want to come and you manage to make her leave the UK, then the chances are she'll hate it here... and then go onto hating you.

If you do manage to force your wife to come here, and it does seem like that's what you are trying to do, then she's likely to return to England, alone, within a couple of years.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I firmly believe that if one partner is dead against the move, and the couple want to stay together, then it would be far more traumatic to drag somebody around the world against their will, than for the other to carry on with the life they have always had.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I firmly believe that if one partner is dead against the move, and the couple want to stay together, then it would be far more traumatic to drag somebody around the world against their will, than for the other to carry on with the life they have always had.
Yup, not an auspicious start to a major life change. If one of you doesnt want to do it then for heaven's sake dont force them, work on making the best of what you have and get the best compromise.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You actually have the right attitude to get on here, you sound as though you will run the UK into the ground to anyone who will listen so the Aussies will love you We were told over 20 years ago that the UK was going down the shitter and we are still waiting.
I think it is possible to know very quickly whether you feel at home somewhere and whether it is somewhere you want to live long term. I can't imagine living somewhere for a minimum of 2 years to decide if it was for me.

Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Mmm,

I'm 50 and single-status, moved here from UK in Dec 11.

I am finding Perth uptight, stuffy, dull and boring. I really don't think much of the place at all.

However I will not quit for 12 months. That way I know I've given it all a reasonable chance.

My verdict at the moment? - In December I'll be moving on. . . but who knows. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.