Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have we got termites?

Have we got termites?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default Have we got termites?

We are in a rental property (1980's highset) and I have just noticed some really dodgy looking insect casts on the exposed roof timbers in the garage. Can't tell if they are fresh or old.

I've looked up termite tunnels on the internet and although there is a similarity, in that they are tubes, these tubes are singular in nature and stuck in the creases of the timber, rather than hanging down and all connected. I would describe them as casts rather than tunnels.

Is it probally termites or some other kind of insect?
Our lease is up for renewal shortly, if its termites, should we look for another rental?

This may be really daft, but I assume they will attack my wooden furniture if left untreated?

I'm going to call the agents tomorrow but just got a bit pannicky so thought I'd post.

Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we got termites?

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
We are in a rental property (1980's highset) and I have just noticed some really dodgy looking insect casts on the exposed roof timbers in the garage. Can't tell if they are fresh or old.

I've looked up termite tunnels on the internet and although there is a similarity, in that they are tubes, these tubes are singular in nature and stuck in the creases of the timber, rather than hanging down and all connected. I would describe them as casts rather than tunnels.

Our lease is up for renewal shortly, if its termites, should we look for another rental?

This may be really daft, but I assume they will attack my wooden furniture if left untreated?

I'm going to call the agents tomorrow but just got a bit pannicky so thought I'd post.

Thanks
Difficult to say really without a picture.

They cannot just attack your furniture. They would need to build a tunnel to the chair from an existing nest. Or after a swarm, a queen would have to nest in the chair(!) and start a colony....
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:35 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Tell the owner/agent asap a say you think there may be termite activity and they should send someone out pretty quick to check and rectify.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They would need to build a tunnel to the chair from an existing nest. Or after a swarm, a queen would have to nest in the chair(!) and start a colony....
Dont you mean throne??? ;-)

WW
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:48 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say that it is probably not white ant as they are subterranean and wont be hanging from the rafters.More than likely some form of wasp.Goto the CSIRO website.Heaps of info on there.Don't panic.Foot note.I had an entire LP collection munched away by ants.They ate the sleeves and nested between the vinyl

Last edited by ukecadet; Sep 14th 2008 at 1:09 am.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess is that they belong to native wasps.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I would say that it is probably not white ant as they are subterranean and wont be hanging from the rafters.More than likely some form of wasp.Goto the CSRIO website.Heaps of info on there.Don't panic.Foot note.I had an entire LP collection munched away by ants.They ate the sleeves and nested between the vinyl
i think it sounds like mud wasps they are fascinating to watch when they build their "homes"

http://www.csiro.au/resources/ps1ww.html

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...AU244%26sa%3DN

Last edited by steve`o; Sep 14th 2008 at 12:02 am.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o
i think it sounds like mud wasps they are fascinating to watch when they build their "homes"
I agree
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Dont you mean throne??? ;-)

WW
nice one
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o

http://www.csiro.au/resources/ps1ww.html

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...AU244%26sa%3DN
I'd say so. I like watching them build and then breaking them up - must be my evil side
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I would say that it is probably not white ant as they are subterranean and wont be hanging from the rafters.More than likely some form of wasp.Goto the CSIRO website.Heaps of info on there.Don't panic.Foot note.I had an entire LP collection munched away by ants.They ate the sleeves and nested between the vinyl
I've seen a house with subterrean termites that have trails hanging a little from floor joists - and subterrean mites will climb up walls to roof spaces, admmitedly they don't like to stray too far from nest or subnest - dependant on how far it is.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Thanks so much everyone, after having looked at the pics, I am pretty sure they are mud wasps but will get it checked out just in case.

I haven't noticed an excess of wasps in the garage but there have been a few flying around the front deck. It all becomes clear.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:20 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much everyone, after having looked at the pics, I am pretty sure they are mud wasps but will get it checked out just in case.

I haven't noticed an excess of wasps in the garage but there have been a few flying around the front deck. It all becomes clear.
Aussie wasps tend to be solitary so you don't notice them as much as European ones.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:54 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Karen

I dont know if it isnt you with termites/wasps its me with fleas!!!!!

Hope A arrived back safely

Jo
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've seen a house with subterrean termites that have trails hanging a little from floor joists - and subterrean mites will climb up walls to roof spaces, admmitedly they don't like to stray too far from nest or subnest - dependant on how far it is.
Thank you, David Attenborough