Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have we been here 3 months already?

Have we been here 3 months already?

Old May 5th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Have we been here 3 months already?

Hi to all you back in the UK

Just thought I'd post some findings,now we're finally back on line! I've really missed this web-site,seem like forever since I was sat in the UK reading all the posts from Oz & wishing so hard that I was there.
Must say first of all,Absolutley worth it & love it here & yes it has been a lot different to how I imagined it would be.
For those like us,who are coming over "blind" without having visited,I just thought I'd share some stuff with you that I'd not bargined for,expected or even really considered before we came.Probably dead obvious things,but hey.

Small things really, like the first time you go shopping & some-one says "fly-buys?" & you say "sorry?" - not a clue what they're on about "fly-buys?" ,no
still no idea what she said,"do you have fly-buys?" nope,not a clue,so you stand there looking dumb & asking in such an English way, I beg your pardon?
Or when you go to the bank to set up your account and the lady has to explain all the types of account and all the charges,because it's just so different to how it works in the UK.
Setting up your land line,when you get a bill every month for international & mobile call,then another for local & line rental.
Even the TV,loads of programmes from the UK that I didn't expect,but it's strange watching the news/sports when you have no idea who anyone is,all just reminds you that you're new & have no history here,no background knowledge.
Just the whole settling in phase,where you go from knowing exactly how things are done,how it all works, to feeling like a fish out of water. SO yes,I know it's a foreign country,but I was surprised how easy it was feel lost.
Anyway,have got used to it all now & it's no real problem,just different.

Things I'd do differently?
Would have brought tons more clothes for my 2 year old girl, not impressed with them here & do seem really expensive,no cheap ASDA/MATALAN style shops to stock up on. Think Grandma will have to bring a stash over when she comes. Boys clothes OK & seemed to get some bargains in K-Mart sale.
Just about used to everywhere having something in the sale every week,always some 20% off something,somewhere!
Also really struggled job hunting with no computer,everything is apply on-line.In the UK I had same job for 21 years,so never had to have resume or look for a job. I would deffinately have bought a laptop to bring over,even just to get on-line to look for cars,fridges,etc.. but for anyone who needs to get a job before their shipment comes,would say it's essential. Also I had to pay $120 for someone to do my resume,which I really should have had all sorted & put on a disk before we came.
Anyway,like I say,we all love it,it's a great learning curve,kids are happy in kindy & everything is going well,long may it last

Last edited by woogle; May 5th 2006 at 11:11 pm.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have we been here 3 months already?

Originally Posted by woogle

Just thought I'd post some findings,now we're finally back on line! I've really missed this web-site,seem like forever since I was sat in the UK reading all the posts from Oz & wishing so hard that I was there.
Must say first of all,Absolutley worth it & love it here & yes it has been a lot different to how I imagined it would be.
For those like us,who are coming over "blind" without having visited,I just thought I'd share some stuff with you that I'd not bargined for,expected or even really considered before we came.Probably dead obvious things,but hey.

Small things really, like the first time you go shopping & some-one says "fly-buys?" & you say "sorry?" - not a clue what they're on about "fly-buys?" ,no
still no idea what she said,"do you have fly-buys?" nope,not a clue,so you stand there looking dumb & asking in such an English way, I beg your pardon?
Or when you go to the bank to set up your account and the lady has to explain all the types of account and all the charges,because it's just so different to how it works in the UK.
Setting up your land line,when you get a bill every month for international & mobile call,then another for local & line rental.
Even the TV,loads of programmes from the UK that I didn't expect,but it's strange watching the news/sports when you have no idea who anyone is,all just reminds you that you're new & have no history here,no background knowledge.
Just the whole settling in phase,where you go from knowing exactly how things are done,how it all works, to feeling like a fish out of water. SO yes,I know it's a foreign country,but I was surprised how easy it was feel lost.

Would have brought tons more clothes for my 2 year old girl, not impressed with them here & do seem really expensive,no cheap ASDA/MATALAN style shops to stock up on. Think Grandma will have to bring a stash over when she comes. Boys clothes OK & seemed to get some bargains in K-Mart sale.
Just about used to everywhere having something in the sale every week,always some 20% off something,somewhere!
Also really struggled job hunting with no computer,everything is apply on-line.In the UK I had same job for 21 years,so never had to have resume or look for a job. I would deffinately have bought a laptop to bring over,even just to get on-line to look for cars,fridges,etc.. but for anyone who needs to get a job before their shipment comes,would say it's essential. Also I had to pay $120 for someone to do my resume,which I really should have had all sorted & put on a disk before we came.
Anyway,like I say,we all love it,it's a great learning curve,kids are happy in kindy & everything is going well,long may it last
Hi there

Glad your settling, It is strange, I was also like err flybys?? I find most things are same same but different (as they say in thailand)

Your very right about laptop and job hunting are stuff is finally arriving next friday and I would have been lost without the laptop to jobhunt on oh and wind my mates up with amazing beach pictures ha ha.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Yeah,really wish we'd bought one before we came,but nevermind.
I had to sign-up with a job agency,just so I could go & use the internet to look for jobs,wasn't so bad,as got use of fax/photo-copier/printer, which has all helped. Well,can't have helped that much,I still haven't got a job
Another thing I'd not realised,I work in Insurance,so all the jobs are in the CBD,about 30 min train journey. Problem I have is getting a job where I can finish at 4.30 to make sure I can get back for picking the little-uns up at 6.00.(a 5pm finish is cutting it too fine,trains only every 20 mins) Proving to be a bit of a problem finding the right job. Plus,loads are call centres,which you have to be available 7am-7pm, so that's no good either

Last edited by woogle; May 5th 2006 at 11:42 pm.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Great post sounds very similar to us.We have been here 2 months(just up the coast in Caloundra). Have found it quite difficult at times but all absolutly love it even if somethings are a bit strange.I agree about the laptop i have only just bought one and felt lost with out it ,although i doesn't seemed to have improved my job prospects much.I was in the same job for 20 years .Still no regrets , apart from as you said wish we had brought more clothes for the kids.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

What sort of work do you do? Hubby is a mechanic,got a job no problem,in fact he looked at 4 & got offered all of them!
Old May 5th 2006, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

What sort of work do you do? Hubby is a mechanic,got a job no problem,in fact he looked at 4 & got offered all of them!
I'm a turner/aircraft fitter , my partner has just got a job in insurance but as you said it is call centre work which is o.k at the mo but if i do get a job may be a bit of a problem with picking the kids up.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah,thats the problem with no family to fall back on. Have told Grandma she needs to get herself a visa so she can come & help! She just says send the kids back to UK & she'll have them!
Apart from the odd thing,I'm surprised I'm not getting home-sick,do you think there's a sort of "honeymoon" period for these things?
Old May 6th 2006, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Yeah,thats the problem with no family to fall back on. Have told Grandma she needs to get herself a visa so she can come & help! She just says send the kids back to UK & she'll have them!
Apart from the odd thing,I'm surprised I'm not getting home-sick,do you think there's a sort of "honeymoon" period for these things?
Could be , i have had a few days and i know Jo and the kids have , but i think its Christmas , birthdays etc when it will really kick in . Just found out one of our best friends in England is getting married next year and another is expecting her first child so will miss this .
Old May 6th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fox's2oz
Could be , i have had a few days and i know Jo and the kids have , but i think its Christmas , birthdays etc when it will really kick in . Just found out one of our best friends in England is getting married next year and another is expecting her first child so will miss this .

Our daughter was 2 on Thursday & I got a bit tearfull reading the cards from the Grannies,the guilt at taking them away is hard,but I still think it's all worth it.
Old May 6th 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Our daughter was 2 on Thursday & I got a bit tearfull reading the cards from the Grannies,the guilt at taking them away is hard,but I still think it's all worth it.
I know what you mean Alice was 8 at Easter and we both felt very guilty but as you say it is worth it . A better future for the children was one of the main reasons to come and by what we have seen so far i'm sure we have done the right thing.
Old May 6th 2006, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

davykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=woogle]Hi to all you back in the UK

still no idea what she said,"do you have fly-buys?" nope,not a clue,so you stand there looking

So for us who are not there yet WHAT the F%&$ is a "flyby"
Old May 6th 2006, 6:19 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davykaz
bit like tesco clubpoints - you fill in the form, get the card and get points everytime you buy stuff at Coles, Myer, other companies in the Myer group plus some more. Then probably after you have collected a zillion of them you can claim a free mug or something

more details
Old May 6th 2006, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=davykaz]

As said above, its like a tesco club card. Im pretty sure that when it was first introduced, the only thing available to spend them on was flights, hence the name.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough

When I come over I will assume I will not get a job in my field (design eng.) right away so I will take anything just to get some money rolling in. How easy is it to get non skilled/casual work that would pay enough to pay all monthly bills and put food on the table?
What is the aptitude test all about? I might be clever in my job but never been good a quick answers with time constraints!!
I could take the easy route and not leave my cozy job here in the UK!!
Old May 6th 2006, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KAYJAS
When I come over I will assume I will not get a job in my field (design eng.) right away so I will take anything just to get some money rolling in. How easy is it to get non skilled/casual work that would pay enough to pay all monthly bills and put food on the table?
What is the aptitude test all about? I might be clever in my job but never been good a quick answers with time constraints!!
I could take the easy route and not leave my cozy job here in the UK!!

The jobs I've seen,for things like tele-sales,which always say "backpackers welcome", so presume aren't at all skilled,are around $16 an hour,but I've heard of people in juice bars on about $10. Even with a skill,like mechanics,they're on anything from $18/24 an hour.
Don't know about the aptitude test,the recruitment agency I went to had me do a typing evaluation,but that was for office work.
I'm sure someone on here will give you a web-site for wages,I know the government has an award rate,which is like the minimum wage,& it's set according to your occupation. Not sure of the web page,sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.