Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Originally Posted by Wendy
We have lots more disposable income here than I ever did in the UK. We both do exactly the same kind of jobs as we did in the UK too. We have a house that's 3 times bigger than the one we had, and we have 2 cars - didn't have any in the UK.

Not saying it's the same for everyone, but make sure you compare everything properly, you may be surprised
Same for us.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj
We have recently come back from our Australia trip to activate our visas and have a good look around. We all loved the place and would go back tomorrow, but the cost of living in Australia is just so high. To be honest I don't know how people are managing out there.

I work with a few Aussies here in London and they too are horrified at the ever increasing cost of living.

The mining industry boom looks set to continue, so I don't see how it will come back down, but it also looks as though they are struggling to keep inflation down. 8% interest rate and according to reports the average mortgage is 9 times salary.

Still, I have 4 1/2 years before our visa expires. Fingers crossed they bubble will have burst before then. I don't hold out much hope though.
How can you possibly know what the cost of living in Australia is like from a validation trip?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I wish that was the case, but I work in IT in London and unfortunately I would earn roughly dollar for pound if we go to Perth. Don't mind a pay cut, but even if I take out the exchange rate food / rent are still very expensive.

I can see how a sparky or other trades are keen to go as they earn more in Aus than the UK, so the higher cost of living is out weighed with a higher wage.

Quite depressing.
COL here is high but most people live well and have a good standard of living.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Had no idea Perth paid so badly. Salary levels in Melb are the same as what you have quoted for Syd. I guess that simply reflects Perths status as the most isolated city in the world and also the fact that the business hub of Aus is based along the East coast ?
London, Sydney, Melbourne are finance and service industry hubs and the highest salaries are given to those who have the skills to provide for these industries. Perth is a resources and engineering centre so people with those skills score.

Engineering salaries in Perth are among the highest in the western world.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I earn less in Brisbane than I did in Sydney, but on a par with what I was earning in the UK.

I would say that I eat more fresh meat & fruit & veg here than the UK as it's cheaper than buying the really expensive packaged stuff.

Eating out is cheaper & better quality. Petrol is obviously a lot cheaper too!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road

90k I'd be well bloody happy with that. Surely that's a good wage (especially just one of you) isn't it? or am I just not in the right class to join this thread?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I think 130-140 is pretty conservative. Saying that, I saw a senior BA role in Perth paying 160k.

Maybe, I need to research it a bit more before making a decision.

Anyone know any good IT recruitment firms / sites in WA ?
IMHO (for IT jobs) moving to Perth is the equivalent of moving to Bristol, nothing wrong with the place but you may find the odd high end role (and we are discussing fairly high end roles here) but not many, anytime you want to change jobs you may not find too much choice. You'd be better off in Sydney, Melbourne or even Brisbane.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayne3411
90k I'd be well bloody happy with that. Surely that's a good wage (especially just one of you) isn't it? or am I just not in the right class to join this thread?
People who claim 90k is not a lot of money are not in any class I'd have anything to do with.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

We have recently come back from our Australia trip to activate our visas and have a good look around. We all loved the place and would go back tomorrow, but the cost of living in Australia is just so high. To be honest I don't know how people are managing out there.

I work with a few Aussies here in London and they too are horrified at the ever increasing cost of living.

The mining industry boom looks set to continue, so I don't see how it will come back down, but it also looks as though they are struggling to keep inflation down. 8% interest rate and according to reports the average mortgage is 9 times salary.

Still, I have 4 1/2 years before our visa expires. Fingers crossed they bubble will have burst before then. I don't hold out much hope though.
That 9 times figure is wrong. No where even close. You would not even be able to make the first repayment. The average mortgage is usually reported somewhere between 250,000 to 300,000 dollars which using the 2.2 salary differential to compare puts it around 113,000 to 136,000 GBP.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
People who claim 90k is not a lot of money are not in any class I'd have anything to do with.
To be fair, the OP is saying he's on 80k GBP in London and $90k AUD would be a step down in Australia, and it would.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
To be fair, the OP is saying he's on 80k GBP in London and $90k AUD would be a step down in Australia, and it would.
It's been a fair while since I worked in the UK but 80k GBP for a permanent Java position (rather than contracting) seems good. I wasn't paid that much more than that as a contractor.

Does anyone know whether that is now normal for permanent developer roles in "Finance IT" to be paid that much?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by freebo
Agreed. Needs to be earning 176,000 to be getting the equivalent.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
It's been a fair while since I worked in the UK but 80k GBP for a permanent Java position (rather than contracting) seems good?
I thought the same, but thats what he said, must be in the city.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
That 9 times figure is wrong. No where even close. You would not even be able to make the first repayment. The average mortgage is usually reported somewhere between 250,000 to 300,000 dollars which using the 2.2 salary differential to compare puts it around 113,000 to 136,000 GBP.
You're not getting much of a pad for 300k. Round my way you couldn't even get a dump for that. Serious renovation projects start at 500k.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:53 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes fish - if you're good at your job, £90K sterling for London would be the going rate for finance sector.

OH is in a similar field & also works in the City. We have our visas & unlilke the OP have decided we will definitely be moving as soon as, but we will be heading for Melbourne. It offers a good range of IT roles in the finance sector & although wages are slightly down on Sydney, the cost of housing makes up for that.

(says she, keeping her fingers crossed for a fall in house prices!)

Best of luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.