Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have the TROLLS put anyone off going

Wikiposts

Have the TROLLS put anyone off going

Old Apr 12th 2003, 12:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Florida_03
Sure, and is not this forum (to use the statistical) a sample of the population. In this sense understanding humans and their...umm...way...don't we merely see a reflection of that?

So if we have a reasonable sample of the population, what should we expect?

Those who will not listen, and those who will not hear, those who merely observe, those who won't shutup, those who are patient, those who are hasty, those who are measured and thougtful in their response, those who react to every point, those who seek information without interpretation, those who have little and seek a little more, those who have lots and seek a lot more, those who are sad, those who are dissatisfied, those who are happy....and so...

What we tend to get however is a bias in the sample, a few outliers who tend to distort the curve. As outliers they...well...tend to be...wait for it...out there on their own...with their distorted view. We all know them, and no level of reason, or debate or intelligent language, or well considered point of view, will move them.

That's OK if they can support their positions with reasonable, supportable arguments. We may not agree but so what...

What tends to happen however is that the outliers (in this sample) tend to resort to the language of generalisation and self-righteousness.

So back to the Trolls...they are not those who are specific and honest...they are those who are generalistic, dishonest to themselves, and unhelpful to others...

Examples abound but when words like..."oh they're ALL idiots"...are used in a post, I take exception. If they persist with this form of debate...they're Trolls and they can all #@$% orf...
Spoken like a good and rational engineer: observe and classify, theorise later.

Actually, I find I do not object so much to generalizations, which are "theories", as to slurs, which are attempts to manipulate public opinion - to con others. Other posters have said they noted the "nasty edge" in some posts.

For instance: "All you deluded (Poms/Aussies)". The generalization is the "All", the slur is the "deluded".

My experience is that most people "object" to generalizations and are "upset" sometimes to the point of violence by slurs.

I suspect that Humans have been social critters long enough that recognising and being upset by slurs is a very ancient genetic adaptation to life in society.

As I see it, PB is a social creature who finds himself in a dead end job with little intellectual social contact during work, slurs guarantee a stream of stimulating responses. Dotty seems to be using slurs to off load work induced stress and also sees her current situation as dead end, one she is devoted to escaping.

They'll keep doing sluring, the slured will keep being upset. Best to look philosphically at what is behind it and keep OBJECTING, keep SLURING RIGHT BACK and LAUGH.
Old Apr 12th 2003, 12:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sully4441
to borrow form the scots " what a load of techno babble pish"

Bloody Silly Galah

Keep orf the Haggis!

Last edited by Megalania; Apr 12th 2003 at 1:42 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:25 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania

As I see it, PB is a social creature who finds himself in a dead end job with little intellectual social contact during work, slurs guarantee a stream of stimulating responses. Dotty seems to be using slurs to off load work induced stress and also sees her current situation as dead end, one she is devoted to escaping.

They'll keep doing sluring, the slured will keep being upset. Best to look philosphically at what is behind it and keep OBJECTING, keep SLURING RIGHT BACK and LAUGH.

Slight correction O wise one "Dead end country" , as for social contact I get far too much of it but you can offer your opinion its nearly a free country as far as opinion goes.

Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:45 pm
Banned

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Slight correction O wise one "Dead end country" , as for social contact I get far too much of it but you can offer your opinion its nearly a free country as far as opinion goes.

I spake in haste, I see it now. Nothing about you left to kill?

I've heard of dwarf tossing but I had not realized that the OB was having such a serious problem that Pom tossing constituted social contact.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:50 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I spake in haste, I see it now. Nothing about you left to kill?

I've heard of dwarf tossing but I had not realized that the OB was having such a serious problem that Pom tossing constituted social contact.
Missed you at he OB yesterday then again it was packed to the roof a good 600 people turned out for happy hour seems if you sell ale at UK prices the pub gets packed out.
Pal the only thing you could toss is between your legs the same as most Aussies.

Old Apr 13th 2003, 2:04 pm
Banned

Missed you at he OB yesterday then again it was packed to the roof a good 600 people turned out for happy hour seems if you sell ale at UK prices the pub gets packed out.
Pal the only thing you could toss is between your legs the same as most Aussies.

Way I heard it the only thing you can toss is a pot and then you have difficulty tossing off.

600 eh? Gee that'd make an impressive pile of Poms, almost worth the effort. That's a lot of social contact, what do you all talk about while waiting to disentangle?
Old Apr 13th 2003, 2:11 pm
Banned

Way I heard it the only thing you can toss is a pot and then you have difficulty tossing off.

600 eh? Gee that'd make an impressive pile of Poms, almost worth the effort. That's a lot of social contact, what do you all talk about while waiting to disentangle?

The people we went down with were Aussie born but most in the OB are Poms as my Aussie mate said can you take these Poms back with you to the UK its like Manchester in here .

Old Apr 13th 2003, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

If PB was a little more famous, and with his level of mis-information (ie B.S) he too could warrant his own website like our old friend - Muhammed Saeed al-Sahhaf - another paragon of truth-telling.

See
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/

P.S. it's a little slow at times cos so many people are trying to get on to the website.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 4:37 pm
Banned

Originally posted by madmancunian
If PB was a little more famous, and with his level of mis-information (ie B.S) he too could warrant his own website like our old friend - Muhammed Saeed al-Sahhaf - another paragon of truth-telling.

See
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/

P.S. it's a little slow at times cos so many people are trying to get on to the website.

Having seen the Aussies TV reports on Iraq I thought this guy was moon lighting , making up the reports for little Johnny and his spokesmen.
Giving out bull like important , very important , most crucial and we are the best at not getting killed on the planet not like them Yanks and Brits.

Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:02 pm
Banned

Having seen the Aussies TV reports on Iraq I thought this guy was moon lighting , making up the reports for little Johnny and his spokesmen.
Giving out bull like important , very important , most crucial and we are the best at not getting killed on the planet not like them Yanks and Brits.

Never did understand the Charge of the Light Brigade:
The Charge of the Light Brigade

Something very British about it that I just never quite "got".
Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:12 pm
Banned

Never did understand the Charge of the Light Brigade:
The Charge of the Light Brigade

Something very British about it that I just never quite "got".
Something about honour that most cons cannot take to heart , to serve your country is the greatest honour .

'The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said.
But still they come.'

http://www.areacom.it/arte_cultura/warworld/INDEX2.HTM

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 13th 2003 at 5:30 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:29 pm
Banned

Something about honour that most most cons cannot take to heart , to serve your country is the greatest honour .

'The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said.
But still they come.'

http://www.areacom.it/arte_cultura/warworld/INDEX2.HTM

What a load of old Empire Marketing Bilge! Get up to date, these days the greatest honour is to keep the "economy" (read their Omnipitencenesses) ticking over by keeping yourself in debt by moving stuff quicker from shop to garbage.

Look, thanks a million for serving Aus, you know, doing your bit to keep a lid on things, but, really, you should wake up from this World Domination DreamTime. I say this, selflessly, knowing that it may distract you from your most honourable duties to Aus.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:39 pm
Banned

What a load of old Empire Marketing Bilge! Get up to date, these days the greatest honour is to keep the "economy" (read their Omnipitencenesses) ticking over by keeping yourself in debt by moving stuff quicker from shop to garbage.

Look, thanks a million for serving Aus, you know, doing your bit to keep a lid on things, but, really, you should wake up from this World Domination DreamTime. I say this, selflessly, knowing that it may distract you from your most honourable duties to Aus.
Your views on material wealth are truth its self , but in order to protect your little bit of this planet means either Aussies or your stronger allies have to front up.
To have weak defence forces leaves open the door for stronger nations to kick it down , the fit and young protect the old and weak .
In Australias case just hope that the USA does not grow tired of carrying you and form stronger ties with the ragheads up North of your coast.

Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:56 pm
Banned

Your views on material wealth are truth its self , but in order to protect your little bit of this planet means either Aussies or your stronger allies have to front up.
To have weak defence forces leaves open the door for stronger nations to kick it down , the fit and young protect the old and weak .
In Australias case just hope that the USA does not grow tired of carrying you and form stronger ties with the ragheads up North of your coast.

Your views on national defense are truth its self , but in order to delay the day that the USA grows tired of us and forms stronger ties with the ragheads up North, we let them dig big holes in unusual places, seems to keep them happy for the moment. Can not see them giving up their material ways soon.

The world is an funny place. Their Aussie Omnipitencenesses seem to think that more immigrants will provide an increased national defense capability. Perhaps they are right. Perhaps the chances of surviving are a million to one, but still they try.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:57 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ons/songs.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.