Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have quotes. John Mason or Whites????

Wikiposts

Have quotes. John Mason or Whites????

Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:11 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have quotes. John Mason or Whites????

Hello

Well all the quotes are in and we have narrowed it down to John Mason or Whites. OH likes John Mason as he thought the sales guy was good and a bit concerned about stuff going into wooden crates and then being moved into a container by Whites - more chance for things to get 'lost'.

Anyone ues either of these two firms? Good or bad. Please help
Old Jul 29th 2006, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have quotes. John Mason or Whites????

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hello

Well all the quotes are in and we have narrowed it down to John Mason or Whites. OH likes John Mason as he thought the sales guy was good and a bit concerned about stuff going into wooden crates and then being moved into a container by Whites - more chance for things to get 'lost'.

Have you had a quote from Doree Bonners? They seem very good and was a bit cheaper than Masons as well.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:31 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Have quotes. John Mason or Whites????

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Have you had a quote from Doree Bonners? They seem very good and was a bit cheaper than Masons as well.
We are waiting on a quote from John Masons, they came on Wednesday so should be here anyday now. He estimated at £3500 but my wife said he did not seem that professional or confident in what he was saying!

I called five different shippers and Doree Bonner never returned our call at all so we wont be using them!

So far for a 20ft container and the contents of a three bedroom house:

Pickfords = £4500 (he did say let him know if we get cheaper quotes and he will see what he can do!)

PSS = £4170 (Based on Pickfords saying we needed a 20ft container, they never visited us, done over the phone)

Robinsons = £4850 (very nice but too expensive!)

John Masons = £3500 (TBC as we think he will be too far out but good if it is correct!)

I have mentioned before though ours will be more than most peoples as we are going to Cairns. So, the container will be dropped off at Brisbane and then rail freight to Cairns etc.

R.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

We've had John Masons, Abels, Crown, Excess and Eagles.

Eagles didn't bother to quote, after coming to visit!

Excess turned up too early and didn't put anything in writing - even after I pointed out emails wouldn't make it through my Spam software!

Abels and Crown were good and so were John Masons.

We've gone with John Masons as followed everything through, been competitive (very) on quote, have been prompt on any questions etc. I like the feeling of my business being valued - so far so good!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:01 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw

Excess turned up too early and didn't put anything in writing - even after I pointed out emails wouldn't make it through my Spam software!

Abels and Crown were good and so were John Masons.

We've gone with John Masons as followed everything through, been competitive (very) on quote, have been prompt on any questions etc. I like the feeling of my business being valued - so far so good!
I've used Whites on about 4 occasions now ( one return trip to Oz included ) and have not a bad word to say about them. Reliable,proffessional and the stuff all turned up when they said it would.
I can't recommend them enough and will be using them when it's our turn to ship up and out!

*pearly*
Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw

same as us - Eagle came out and took over 2 weeks to get back with quote -bloke seemed nice enough though.

going with John Masons - excellent service so far - packers coming late august
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:43 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

We have had quotes from the following:
Britannia (didn't like the man)

Crown (very nice but too expensive)

John Mason:
Brisbane £3725
Noosa £3880
Townsville £4350

Whites:
Noosa £3610
Townsville £4438

All of these are based on a 20ft container with a lot of packing. I think we will probably go for John Mason as we found it weird how Whites pack things into wooden boxes on the lorry and then take them to the depot to unload and then put in the container, plus our sofas wont fit into the wooden boxes so will just be put in the lorry. Seems like there is more chance for things to be damaged. With John Mason everything gets put into the container and sealed infront of us, I like that it, it gives me peace of mind.

Thanks for all your help
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

We have had quotes based on a 40ft container, more or less shipping everything, about 1600cubic square feet approx

Crown - £7500 :scared:
Doree Bonee - £6398, after negotiation as first quote was £6988
Whites - £4383, for 1500csfeet, then £110 for every 100 square feet afterwards.

Doree bonner most definately offer the better service and answer all questions and very helpful and informative, Doree bonner pack over 4 days for 40ft container orthers pack over 3 days.

Cant get john masons as we are in scotland and would mean subcontractors etc.

hope this may help someone

thanks sj
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

chrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We used John Masons in June from UK to Auckland - they were brilliant, couldn't fault the two guys that came and packed up the house, hardly ever stopped even for lunch and were quick and efficient. The Moving Company took over here in Auckland and they too were good (not as good as Masons) not one thing broken!!!!!

Chris
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:21 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hello

We used JM and received first class service UK and Oz end.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

For us it was deffo Masons vs Bonners, they quoted the same price and they both have good reputations. All it came down to was that we preferred the bloke from Bonners! We will never see him again (as he is the quoter / rep) but we felt happier.

BTW We are paying £3600 for Suffolk to Sunshine Coast (20ft sole use)

Good luck everyone
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
For us it was deffo Masons vs Bonners, they quoted the same price and they both have good reputations. All it came down to was that we preferred the bloke from Bonners! We will never see him again (as he is the quoter / rep) but we felt happier.

BTW We are paying £3600 for Suffolk to Sunshine Coast (20ft sole use)

Good luck everyone
we used Crown and wish we never had. Useless thieveing swines. had a quote from JOhn Masons. They were cheaper (£3.600) Crown were £4.800). Go with John Masons. We learnt the hard way.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Hello

Hi,
we used whites when we came, very proffessional. and No problems what so ever.
8 weeks door to door.

Liz
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Rebecca Bloomswood is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we have had several quotes and originally settled for John Mason but now it comes to the crunch we have until 7th August to go with them or someone else (probably Excess). My problem is that I feel a bit bullied by the lady at Masons. We haven't exchanged contracts yet and didn't want to commit to anything until we had (we were told that we needed to give two weeks notice). Now, it seems, Masons are really busy and they may not have the manpower to accomodate us so I was rushed into agreeing to them coming on 14th/15th August. We MAY have exchanged by then but, until we have, (one buyer pulled out on day of echange 3 months back) I don't want to tempt fate...

I believe that the service Masons would eventually give would be fine but I can well do without the hassle and angst of feeling pushed around.. What would YOU do??

Comments on a postcard, please!!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rebecca Bloomswood
Well, we have had several quotes and originally settled for John Mason but now it comes to the crunch we have until 7th August to go with them or someone else (probably Excess). My problem is that I feel a bit bullied by the lady at Masons. We haven't exchanged contracts yet and didn't want to commit to anything until we had (we were told that we needed to give two weeks notice). Now, it seems, Masons are really busy and they may not have the manpower to accomodate us so I was rushed into agreeing to them coming on 14th/15th August. We MAY have exchanged by then but, until we have, (one buyer pulled out on day of echange 3 months back) I don't want to tempt fate...

I believe that the service Masons would eventually give would be fine but I can well do without the hassle and angst of feeling pushed around.. What would YOU do??

Comments on a postcard, please!!

I would tell them to get stuffed. If they are too busy then tell them you will go with Doree Bonners. Don't be bullied, you are the customer after all